Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This client is a cheat

kumarnaresh35
Naresh K Member Since: Dec 8, 2016
1 of 8

Hello All,

I worked for a client and put my best efforts because this was my first project. I sent him WIP copy so that he can verify. He was very happy to see this. He had set a limit of 5 hrs which I was not okay with. He asked me not to worry and he will increase this.

Now he kept on chatting with me on whatsapp. I being new didnot log any hours. I sent him all the work done over the emai lshared by him. He closed the contract without paying anything. Later on he kept saying he will do a paypal transfer and all but no luck.

These kind of customers will continue cheating people. Please let me know if you can help me with this situation. I have all the whatsapp and email chats.

Regards

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 8

Next time, you should learn the platform to understand how you get paid. It was the first thing I read. I don't understand why this isn't a priority for new freelancers, but whatever it's your dime.

Not saying what he did was right, but you had every opportunity to ensure you got paid.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 8

Naresh,

You will not get paid, because your client should have set the contract up officially through Upwork, and if you had read just a few of the rules and regs about working Upwork, you would have refused to work for this person.

However, although Upwork can't help you financially, you can report the client to customer services here - give the link to the job and all the conversations you have had with the client: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

And before you apply for any more jobs read these essential tips to help you get started, particularly the thread about protecting yourself from scammers.: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 8

@Nichola L wrote:

Naresh,

You will not get paid, because your client should have set the contract up officially through Upwork,

The client DID set up a contract, with a 5 hour weekly limit.

All Naresh had to do was use the tracker, which he decided not to do.

Had he used the tracker he would have been paid, automatically, for 5 hours per week.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 8

There's really nothing you can do.  Like Jenn said, you should have read up on using the time tracker before starting. Also it is a serious violation to offer or accept payment outside of the platform.  Chalk this up to a lesson learned. You will not get paid. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

Naresh:

This is totally your fault.

You did not use Upwork properly.

Personally, when I encounter a newbie freelancer who doesn't know what they're doing, I notice if they are not logging time and I tell them how to do it. But not all clients are going to be so accommodating.

It is your responsibility to know how to use the Upwork system to properly record your time.

Forget about this specific project. The lesson you learned is more valuable than the money you would have received. And there's no way to get that money. So just move forward.

brandyhunter
Ace Contributor
Brandy H Member Since: Dec 8, 2016
7 of 8

I'm sorry this happened to you Smiley Sad Learning curves suck, but thanks for sharing so other new members can learn. I have tried to find a way to suspend my own profile to resist scam temptations before I learn more.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Brandy,

In order to recognize questionable jobs, you don't need to make your profile private. Please read the tips we shared here and go through the valuable resources included in this thread. These resources are designed to help new users get started on Upwork and offer all the information, guidelines and advice you need in order to work successfully and safely on our platform.

If you have any questions, please feel free to follow up with us in the Community.

Untitled