🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Time tracker question
Page options
nightsky25
Community Member

Time tracker question

So I understand that the time tracker app tracks your progress at 10-minute intervals by taking a screenshot every 10 minutes then counting that towards your work progress. But I find that for example after taking a screenshot, then turning the tracker off for like 9 minutes and then turning it on again that after 1 minute of turning it on, it takes another screenshot, making it another 10 minutes of work progress, even though I was essentially not working (offline) for 9 minutes. Is this how it's intended to work?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
michael_skaggs
Community Member

It takes screenshots, but also records your activity levels. You need both the screenshot and adequate activity levels to be covered by payment protection.

So yes, it will mark the time and take a screenshot, but without any activity showing, the client will win if that time is disputed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
michael_skaggs
Community Member

It takes screenshots, but also records your activity levels. You need both the screenshot and adequate activity levels to be covered by payment protection.

So yes, it will mark the time and take a screenshot, but without any activity showing, the client will win if that time is disputed.

Makes sense! Thanks!

And, in addition to what Michael S commented, to be protected with respect to payments, you must remember to fill in the memos of the activity you are doing.

petra_r
Community Member

Allan Victor O wrote:

So I understand that the time tracker app tracks your progress at 10-minute intervals by taking a screenshot every 10 minutes then counting that towards your work progress.

Not quite.

I counts and bills 10 minute segments and takes a screenshot once per 10 minute segment provided there is activity (keyboard and / or mouseclicks)
The segments are always XX.00, XX.10 to XX.20, XX.20 to XX.30, XX.30 to XX.40, XX.40 to XX.50 and XX.50 to XX.00

The screenshots happen at a random point within the segment, so can be as close a 1 minute apart and as far as (nearly) 20

The way to have a nice "tidy" work diary, and be fair to yourself and your client, it makes sense to work in full 10 minute segments.

The work diary is not suitable for working short sputs of minutes here and minutes there.

Alternatively you can also go through it at the end of the day / session and delete any segments with just a minute or two of activity

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths