🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Time tracker using desktop app on chromeb...
Page options
caitlinmoen22
Community Member

Time tracker using desktop app on chromebook

Good morning, I have always tracked my time manually and my client requested me to do the auto time. I downloaded the app in the google store on my chrome book. Your instructions say there is a toggle and I am not seeing that. I also tried deleting the app and redownloading it and that did not make a difference. Help?

16 REPLIES 16
LuiggiR

Hi Caitlin,

I'm afraid that the Desktop App is not supported by Chromebooks at this time. The app is only available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux, you've probably downloaded the one that's used to browse Upwork instead. As a reminder, manual time does not qualify for payment protection.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this can cause you and your feedback is greatly appreciated. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

I also downloaded the app on my phone. (Apple iPhone) is there a way to do auto time tracker on that?

Hi Caitlin,

The Desktop App is available for Mac OS but not for mobile devices. Sorry for any inconvenience this could cause you.

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork

How do you suggest that I do the auto time tracker then?

Hi Caitlin,

Your tracker should work well in the operating systems listed in this help article.

~Andrea
Upwork

But I only have a chromebook. Will you be getting a app for that system?

Caitlin, we aren't aware of any plans to add this feature at the moment. If anything changes in this area, we'll make sure to inform the Community.

~Andrea
Upwork

Is there any update about a Chrome OS version of the time tracker app? I find it ridiculous that there is still no decent Upwork option for chromebook users after so many years of requesting it. 

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your message. Currently, there is no update on the Chrome OS version of the time tracker app. You will be notified when we release the time tracker app for the Chrome OS version. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Is there any update gor chromebook?

Hi Rich,

Chromebook still is not supported.

~ AJ
Upwork

Up I hope upwork will work on this. Please also invluse chromebook for time travker on upwork

writesbytes
Community Member

Hi Caitlin,

Not sure if this still works, but someone in the community got this to work. You can check it out here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Working-UpWork-Desktop-App-On-ChromeOS/m-p/561049#M34165....

Let me know if you got it to work. I'm thinking of lugging around a Chromebook while I'm out of my home office, but I haven't bought one since not sure if it will really work.

jcampb
Community Member

Hi, I am not sure if there was an update that I missed, but today (May 23, 2023) I downloaded the desktop app on my Lenovo Chromebook, and it works. All I did was download and install the Linux-deb version from the list of options provided. When installing it, I right-clicked and selected "Install with linux". Though it says failed to take screenshot, the screenshot was in my diary and the time was recorded.

0bcf88b8
Community Member

That's great news! I have tried doing this too, but when I try to install Linux, it says that there are errors. I'm really not sure how to fix this. 

frosario-fotr
Community Member

It seems very difficult to confirm whether the Upwork tracker works or not on a Chromebook. It would be nice if someone from Upwork could confirm, and even push for a Chromebook compatible version of the tracker. It seems that there is a Linux version but Linux isn't available on all Chromebooks. Given the number of posts I see here asking for a Chromebook compatible tracker, I am not sure why Upwork isn't responding and creating one. There is a HUGE price difference in buying a laptop or a Chromebook, and I am sure I am not the only freelancer who would like to stick to a cheaper machine. I can do EVERYTHING I need for my work on a chromebook, except for tracking time... Very disappointing. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths