🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Time was not documented.Help
Page options
lerakoot
Community Member

Time was not documented.Help

The first order on upwork. The conditions were to take a photo within 10 hours. By mistake, not knowing that I need to keep a diary and knowing that I have 10 hours, I did the work and gave the finished material. The customer said she does not see anything in the work diary since this is an hourly job. 
I understand, it's my fault that time was not documented. What could you recommend me to solve this problem? How can I get my reward because I have gone the job done.

10 REPLIES 10
rverang
Community Member

@Valeria Y wrote:

The first order on upwork. The conditions were to take a photo within 10 hours. By mistake, not knowing that I need to keep a diary and knowing that I have 10 hours, I did the work and gave the finished material. The customer said she does not see anything in the work diary since this is an hourly job. 
I understand, it's my fault that time was not documented. What could you recommend me to solve this problem? How can I get my reward because I have gone the job done.

Since you didn't track your time properly, ask the client if you can add the time manually instead.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Valeria,

Your client can issue a bonus payment at any moment or you can add your time as manual hours if the client has allowed this on your contract. Keep in mind that both cases are not protected under our Hourly Protection for Freelancers. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks! But the client ended tha contract. Could I add my time as manual hours?

rverang
Community Member

@Valeria Y wrote:

Thanks! But the client ended tha contract. Could I add my time as manual hours?

No, since contract is closed.

Client sending you a bonus is the only way for you to get compensated.

nahidrajbd
Community Member

Hi Valeria, I can understand you problem. I've gone through the same problem twice. The safest thing to do is contact with client and let him know about it. Be prepared for every option he/she have to pay you.

You can ask your fixed payment as bonus or you can add manual hours on timesheet. Both are secured but you both have to be on same track. Whatever happens be with your client and keep him/her updated about that.

Valeria:

as others have said, of course you will want to politely ask the client to pay for your work using a bonus payment.

Ultimately it is the client's choice whether to pay you a bonus or not. But most clients will be willing to do so. That is what happens with me when I am a client and a newbie freelancer does not record their time.

But even if you do not get paid for this one job, do not be hard on yourself.

You made a mistake, that's all. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when they are starting out.

You learned a very valuable lesson which will stay with you and help you immensely in the future.

@Nahid H wrote:

[...]

You can ask your fixed payment as bonus or you can add manual hours on timesheet. Both are secured but you both have to be on same track. Whatever happens be with your client and keep him/her updated about that.

Nahid, 

This is incorrect. Bonus payments and manual hours are not secured. The only protection one has is for hourly contracts using Upwork's tracker system, or when the price is fixed and the amount agreed by the both client and freelancer is paid into escrow before work starts, and it is up to the freelancer to ensure that the amount in escrow corresponds to what has been agreed.

Bonus payments and manual time are at the client's discretion. 

pandoraharper
Community Member

I can't help but wonder why the OP's photo shows her in a model pose. I hope that's actually her in the photo, and not someone else she photographed.

I too thought the photo was unusual.

But then I checked her profile and saw that she is a photographer.

It strikes me as an interesting photo, and one that is appropriate for a photographer.

@Preston H wrote:

I too thought the photo was unusual.

But then I checked her profile and saw that she is a photographer.

It strikes me as an interesting photo, and one that is appropriate for a photographer.

Preston, I thought the exact same things and totally agree.  In addition, I thought it's a shame that "The Vampire Diaries" concluded.  I sincerely do mean that in a positive manner.  Her photo and look are absolutely awesome!     

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths