🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849

Clients' requirements are nothing to me it is so easy. I even submit a proposal lowest bid of $3 just for me to get the job and yet still no response. I doubt there is in the system that is blocking me not to be seen by clients.  I not i am on last offer list since i am new to upwork. 

I offer PRO BONO (FREE OF CHARGE) just for me to be tested and have good ratings in "Job Success Score" for i am confident enough i can do it professionally.

DO I NEED TO BE A MEMBER (pay 14$ a month?) it is a straightforward question.
in order for upwork to show my OFFER to them. I am pretty much sure there something wrong with the system its either blocking or hiding us new to upwork hidding my info if not it  will be in the last of the list because i am not a member.

DO I NEED TO BE A MEMBER TO GET THE PROJECT?

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rico,

No, a paid membership is not required for your proposal to be shown to clients. Also, providing the lowest bid is not necessarily the key to winning a contract. Many clients wish to hire the best candidate, not the cheapest. The cover letter you send with your proposal is their first indication of your skill and professionalism.

Upwork is a very competitive marketplace. Persistence and a concentrated effort are key for success. I put together a list of relevant articles that I suggest you read:

Cheers,
Mike

I wish Upwork be honest to us not give us false hope. it feels like every new to Upwork will be put to the arena like a royal rumble and survival of the fittest. who ever lasts long will survive.  It not about the quality of work anymore it's a test of patience.

Putting features in upwork that shows who views your profile or proposal but not selected is much more encouraging to do more effort to improve my profile presentation and cover proposal.

but this current system of upwork?  i am pretty much sure that my account was blocked and not being shown to client. just for a reason that  i am new to upwork.

clients requirement is to buy bicycles and i even offer Ferrari racing car and yet it is being ignored. thats how frustrating upwork system currently. 

just imagine i almost used my 80connects and zero feedback? what would you feel?
and you know know that you are the best in your field of work. 

vishwa_malinda
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I was out from upwork around 10 months and recently I've started to work fulltime, I have applied more jobs with a good proposal but all of jobs are still in open position. Non of them are hired anyone. Will it take maximum two or three days to get someone hired?

Thank you

Vishwa

brunomj
Community Member

Hello Mike,
don’t ever doubt that your article was very helpful. It really helps to have someone that cares for us ( I mean newbie freelancers). I would also like you to please check my profile and give me your feedback whether it’s good or not and what’s wrong. I’ve not yet closed a job and I don’t have much pro experiences yet so for I’m trying to gain experience as much as I can. Thanks to reply as soon as you can.
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bonjour Pascal,

Merci pour votre message! (I'll stop there, but I don't get to use my French skills too often. Smiley Very Happy) I reviewed your profile and you're off to a great start. I did want to share some articles that you may find helpful as you continue your journey on Upwork:

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
brunomj
Community Member

Hello Mike,
Your French skills are pretty cool(I mean this sentence 🙂!)
I really appreciate your help via those articles. I’m pretty sure it’ll
also help me gain more pro experiences whether on Upwork or not.
Please be safe. It was a pleasure.
varghese-vinu
Community Member

Hi Mike my name is vinu a newcomer on upwork. Till now haven't recieved a single job offer. Please can you hook me up with some clients. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

c_silachoum
Community Member

Bonsoir mike . J

Je m’appele clovis et je suis nouveau pigiste sur la plateforme. Je vous remercie pour votre article qui nous permet d’éviter les érreurs de débutant. j’ai eu mon premier entretien à peine etre inscrit sur la plateforme mais j’ai pas été retenu surement parceque j’ai pas su repondre à l’entretien. s’il vous plait je voudrais savoir comment reussir un entetien avec le client, comment est-ce qu'

Bonjour Clovis,

Welcome to Upwork! Here are some articles with great advice for the interviewing process:

And these help articles provide information on using the Desktop App and tracking your time:

I hope these help!

Cheers,
Mike
c_silachoum
Community Member

je voudrais aussi savoir comment le client nous fait parvenir ses travaux et comment utiliser l'application pour suivre le temps de travail sur upwork

mdshahjalal820
Community Member

Hello Mike, Thanks for your interest to help new Freelancers like me. I would be glad if you can help me build my profile, Please reply to me so that I can share my profile with you for review. 

Thank you.

andrade-louie
Community Member

Hi Mike ! Glad to read your article. I am new to Upwork but been for months. I haven't got a single job from my proposal. Got one but it was just done thru Upwork as a customer sales rep but got a bad feedback since it wasn't my niche after all. Can I get rid of that feedback , is it possible to be taken out from my profile since it is no longer my niche coz I have been studying a lot and taking for courses to be a Graphic designer / Video editor. It is hard for us not to get noticed since we don't have experience as a freelancer befere. Can you please take a look on my profile and see what is missing.Thank you very much and GOD bless.

Hi Luisa,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 
  • I notice you haven’t added any pieces to your portfolio. Your portfolio is one of the most important profile components that clients review. Our research shows that missing portfolio pieces can be a negative signal for clients. Consider adding a few relevant pieces. It might help in getting more profile views and high-quality job invites. 

As for feedback removal, there is a perk for Top Rated freelancers to remove feedback occassionally, but otherwise feedback cannot be removed or changed unless the client agrees to do so.

Cheers,
Mike
zeesadaf
Community Member

hello, sir hope you are fine today. I am new in Upwork I have completed my profile 100% and passed my rising star test with full marks and 24 hours passed but I don't get a rising star badge yet what can I do now? I hope Your answer will make my way to success.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sadaf,

Welcome to Upwork and thank you for your message. You have completed the pro-active steps toward earning the Rising Talent badge. To improve your chances of earning the badge, continue to submit proposals to job postings that are relevant to the skills listed on your profile.

We look at a variety of factors when determining whether to award Rising Talent status. This includes client feedback, the overall strength of your profile upon submission, including prior experience and skills and your educational background, as well as the opportunities available in the market.

Cheers,
Mike

Good day, Mike,

I have made the changes you suggested. Please look at my profile again, so I know if I need to change something else.

Regards.

Hi Babajide,

Your profile looks good!

Cheers,
Mike
kelsey-tellier
Community Member

Hi Mike!

My name is Kelsey and I am new to UpWork.

I have sent out just under 10 proposals and I have not had one response.

What am I doing wrong?

Your help is appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks, Mike,

However, I noticed that my profile is not seen by potential clients. Is there anything I can do about this?

Hi Babjide,

I reviewed your account and it looks like you haven't sent many proposals recently. Upwork is extremely competitive. In order to win projects and be viewed by clients, you'll need to continue to submit proposals. Clients may discover you organically through search results, but most clients post jobs and wait for proposals.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Kelsey,

Thank you for your message. It is not uncommon to have to send more than 10 proposals prior to winning your first contract. As talent builds a reputation on Upwork, they often report it becomes easier to win projects. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 
  • Your profile is only 90% complete. In order to qualify for badges since as Rising Talent and Top Rated, your profile needs to be 100% completed.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hello Upwork community, I am new in this world. Please suggest to me some tips and tricks so that I can start my career on upwork. 

Hi Pratik,

Welcome to Upwork! I took a look at your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mike
khalidsaifulla18
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Can you check my profile, please? Is everything ok in my profile? I am new on Upwork. Can you give me the best suggestion for getting a job and talent success badge? I already sent many proposals but no one sends me any invitations or single messages. Can you help me, please?

Thanks

Khalid

Hi Khalid,

Thank you for your message. I've reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. I would suggest removing the "Hi" as this takes up valuable real estate.
  • Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi, Mike,
 Can you review my profile to build it more professionally? I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance

Your regards Md Shah Jalal

Hi Md Shah,

Thank you for your message and congrats on your 100% Job Success Score! I reviewed your profile and it looks good. To help you look your best, consider showcasing at least 4 examples of your best work in your profile. We've found that this is the minimum number of items most clients wish to see. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.

Cheers,
Mike
kevin_monari
Community Member

Hello, 

I'm a data analyst living in Kenya. I'm a beginner. My profile is 85% complete and I haven't got any job before despite submitting several proposals. 

one of the challenges I'm having in completing my profile is that I don't have any certification yet.  Kindly assist me on how I can go about it. I'd like to know a reputable institution that offers online trainings for professional certification,  how I can get certified, the duration it will take and also the fees they charge.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your message. 

First, a certification is not required to reach 100% profile completion. There are multiple ways to reach 100%. Please review this article.

If you do wish to obtain a certification, the list of certifications that Upwork can verify is located here. Please contact the certification provider for more information. Additionally, you can add a custom certification if your certification is not listed, but it will not show as verified by Upwork.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for your help. I have been able to complete my profile to 100%. 

Regards,

Kevin.

ab50a576
Community Member

Hi Mike, 

My profile is 100% complete and I submit proposals to posted jobs but so far I havent secured any job. What might I be missing?

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your title includes a number of grammatical errors. It is also formulated as a sentence rather than a title.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Same here.Smiley Sad

usmanuah9
Community Member

Hey,

apply for many jobs but got no good response so far. If you keep hiring people who are already top-rated and review with different badges, what will happen to the new freelancers?

Can anyone help?

Hi Usman,

Thank you for your message. I see that you have already earned a Job Success Score which is excellent. Now you can work toward having your own Top Rated badge. One suggested I have is to update the first sentence of your profile Overview. The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
mayowaol
Community Member

Hi
I'm Mayowa a freelancer on Upwork. I've been on Upwork since last year and recently I've been super active on my account, improving my profile and writing proposal. I recently got the RISING TALENT BADGE hoping for changes to occur and probably get my first client. I don't have any view on my profile also on my project and I have not received any message from client. I'm really frustrated 😥
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mayowa,

Thank you for your message and congratulations on earning the Rising Talent badge! Your profile looks good, but I would suggest updating the first line of your profile overview. The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I also suggest you check out these articles:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike J, I updated my profile as you had earlier suggested. Is there anything you think I should change. Kindly check my profile for feedback. I appreciate your support.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your message! I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• I notice your availability is set to “As Needed”. Because different independent professionals use this availability setting to communicate different things (some mean their workload is varying, some mean that they are booked - but will consider very attractive offers) it may be a detractor to receiving relevant invites. It might be helpful to instead use the “Less than 30” or “More than 30” option - depending upon which is closest to your current projected availability.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths