🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for Getting Started on Upwork
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849
e56b4794
Community Member

Thanks for the tips Mike ive been on here a while now and cant seem to get started 

e5871063
Community Member

Hi Mike,

very helpful this post. I would really appreciate if you will take a lookt at my profile since I am newbie here I would love some guidance!

Thank you in advance!

Best,

e39e9443
Community Member

Thank you so much Mike. I'm new at here.

ba5926aa
Community Member

Hi Mike, please take a look at my profile 

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chinazaekpere,

I took a look at your profile and here are my observations:

• Your profile is only 40% complete. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated.

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

Cheers,
Mike
0df19d3e
Community Member

Hi, could you please have an overview of my profile and advice me on the areas I may need to improve on?

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Harison,

I reviewed your profile and here are my observations:

• Precise titles that specify the services you offer are more likely to catch the attention of clients that need your expertise. Right now your title is "An upcoming freelancer." which does not provide any insight into your skills or services.
  • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
  • Your profile is only 40% complete. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike

Thank you for the feedback.

423c4e52
Community Member

Hi Mike, 

Can you pls review my profile. I have used all my connects and got no reply for any proposal. 

Best regards,

Qandeel

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Qandeel,

I reviewed your profile and here are my observations:

• Your profile is only 95% complete. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated.

• Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.).

You may also find these articles helpful:

Cheers,
Mike

Many thanks Mike for a comprehensive review. I'll work accordingly. 

yuliakurdina
Community Member

Hi Mike, 

Hope you are well! Could you take a look at my profile please and see if you have any tips? 

Thank you!
Yulia

Hi Yulia,

I took a look at your profile and I noticed you haven’t added any pieces to your portfolio. Your portfolio is one of the most important profile components that clients review. Our research shows that missing portfolio pieces can be a negative signal for clients. Consider adding a few relevant pieces. It might help in getting more profile views and high-quality job invites. 

Cheers,
Mike
1c3d3ef0
Community Member

1. Hi Mike J,
  2. How can I update my profile so it can get to 100%.
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chimka Emmanuella,

You can review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile.

Cheers,
Mike
1c412777
Community Member

Sir I invite lot of proposal to the client as per my skill but I didn't get any reply. Kindly Help

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Samir,

I noticed that many of your proposals begin with "Hello Samir!" This may be causing confusion forthe clients. I believe you mean to say "Hello, I'm Samir".  If you'd like to add extra polish to your profile and proposals, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
x_tigi
Community Member

Thanks so much the article was so informative.  I have an inquiry, if I don't have projects to show my work how can a client be able to trust me. Though for me I have a CV I use outside of upwork could that help. 

Gichuru Ryan Mutiga
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gichuru Ryan,

You can still win work without a portfolio, but a portfolio can make it easier. If you haven't completed work in your field for clients, consider creating samples of what you can do and putting those in your portfolio. You may find this article helpful: 4 Ways to Create a More Successful Freelancer Portfolio

Cheers,
Mike
7282ebff
Community Member

Hello,

I've set up my Upwork profile a week ago, I'm new to this platform and am new to the services am providing (Amazon VA), I'd like a opinion on whether or not my gig is suitable enough for the client to consider me as one of their options.

Regards,

Murtaza

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Murtaza,

Welcome to Upwork! I took a look at your profile and have a couple of suggestions:

• Your profile is only 75% complete. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated.

• The first line of your profile overview is "Amazon Virtual Assistant & More." This is duplicative of your title. I would suggest removing this as the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
daferroa
Community Member

Hi Mike,

I need feedback about my profile and cover letter, last week I spent 50 proposals in three days, in order to catch my first job on this platform, but the results were really disappointing, I only have one Interview (2% success rate) and the customer refused to contract me by timing (I did offer him one day to deliver a Solidworks part, in order to make a high-quality job and was refused)... ......This is a little bit frustrating because beginners freelancers like me are expecting job opportunities, at the end of the day we expend time and effort to sell our skills and experience, we are looking to catch unless one or two jobs per week. I trust in continuous improvement and for that reason, I try to improve my profile week after week, but the results are not corresponding with the effort. I share a cover letter example:

"
Hi, I am Diego,

Thank you for the job invite, I am a  Mechanical Engineer, I work with Solidworks since 2008, I have experience on mechanical design as die cast, plastic molds, metal machinery, transmission, steel structural design.

I have high skills on convert ideas into reality, this include parts modeling, assembly, testing, drawings and manufacturing.

I have a full domain in 3D modeling, assembly, and drawings to manufacture, I am a responsible and accurate designer and I always try to do the extra mile in all my jobs. I am really compromised with my customers and contracts. I worked for companies Kellogg and 3M as a mechanical engineer making machine overhauling and automation processes.

If you want to know more about me, please make me an interview. "

I will thank you about any help in order to improve my selling skills, I need to catch jobs and money soon.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Diego,

Thank you for your message. Upwork can be very competitive, but I have some articles that you might find helpful.

Also, we have an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort that began yesterday. You can request to join the cohort here. These cohorts offer much valuable assistance for new freelancers on Upwork.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
0f442491
Community Member

Thanks a lot

c5052011
Community Member

Hello Mike..

I am new. Please take a look at my profile and give suggestions for improvement.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Waqar,

I took a look at your profile and your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

Cheers,
Mike
mlbestdesigns
Community Member

Dear Mike,

Could you please review my profile?

Thanks

Hi Mateus,

Your profile is currently set to "Private". Please set your profile visibility to "Public" or "Only Upwork Users" and then I will be happy to take a look.

Cheers,
Mike

Dear Mike,

I guess my profile is public now. 😊

Hi Mateus,

One suggestion I have is to improve your portfolio. Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike
97448d94
Community Member

Hello Mike

Thanks for showing interest in helping newbies start their freelancing careers. Can you please review my profile, your feedback will go a long way in helping me. 

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dirisu,

The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. Right now, this valuable space is taken up by "Hi. My name is Ignatius". Consider removing that portion. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
malikimranfazil
Community Member

i,m new in this community your article is very helps full for me.

thanks

fe4d82b9
Community Member

Hello Mike,

Please review my profile. I'm trying very hard to win a job, but no success till now. Please help.

Thanks,

Gargi

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gargi,

I think your profile looks pretty good. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike

Thank you.

tatzkillah
Community Member

Hi Mike!

I'd really appreciate it if you can check my profile and provide feedback. I submitted a lot of proposals and my connect is down to zero. Thanks.

Regards, 

Rowell

Hi Rowell,

Persistence is key as Upwork is very competitive. I checked your profile and noticed your profile begins with "Hi! I am Rowell, a freelancer from Midsayap, Philippines." This information is available elsewhere on your profile. The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
06002d9f
Community Member

Thank you for the great article

4be91601
Community Member

Hi Mike!

Any tips on how to improve my profile? 

For the last 2 weeks I actively sent proposals. To be more specific, my stats on Upwork showes that for the last 30 days I sent 42 proposals and only 5 of them were viewed with 0 interview followed. Seems like a very poor result to me. While I keep experimenting with cover letter could you review my profile as well. Thank you! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths