🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for Getting Started on Upwork
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849
a98df620
Community Member

Hello J. ,

Thanks for your interest to help new Freelancers like me. I would be glad if you can help me build my profile, Please reply me so that i can share my profile with you for review. 

Thank you.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Havaida,

I reviewed your profile and here are my observations:

• Your profile is only 40% complete. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated.

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
d624874f
Community Member

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your interest to help new Freelancers like me. Can you help me about my profile. Could you do a review of my profile and offers some feedback? Can you please review my profile, everything is okay? And suggest to me how to improve my profile to always get in touch Upwork talent success manager like you and the client to get more invitations. Please review and let me know.  Please help me. I am new here.

Regards,

Bijoya Raha

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bijoya,

Thanks for your message. I reviewed your profile and noticed that your overview begins with "Hi" followed by a blank line. The beginning of your profile overview displays in the search results of prospective clients and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike

Thank you very much

c7d3d430
Community Member

Hello Mike J

Good Morning from Rajshahi, Bangladesh.

Would you please review my profile & give me some suggestions to improve my profile?

Really I want to succeed on Upwork.

gfxartiste
Community Member

Great Advice for us!

cba4b9fe
Community Member

Hey! Mike J 

I am newbie on Upwork and I would be grateful to you if you check my profile it would be great for me and it encourage me to work hard for it, Rather than hopeless.

Kind regards,

Alishba 

d8d84774
Community Member

Hi Mike!

Would appreciate if you can have a look at my profile and let me know any improvements that you recommend.

Thanks.

Ali.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths