🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I am a New seller of Upwork
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

740 REPLIES 740

Hey Mirchu,

Try bidding on the ones with lower budgets and clients looking for entry-level freelancers. Once you get multiple 5-star reviews, you can proceed with the higher-budget projects. That'll give your future clients a boost of confidence in your abilities.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best.

Kind regards,
Christian

I guess they should have a curation team help best freelancer to land most jobs.

I am a professional video editor
I'm not getting any work orders on Upwork, what should I do?
Please help me to get job.

my Name is Shifat Mahmud

celgins
Community Member

Shifat,

Most of your Profile is fine, but you need to change your photo. Click here to review the requirements for Selecting a Profile Photo.

It has been difficult for some freelancers to get responses to their proposals. After you change your photo, keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters.

849f6f89
Community Member

What will work after I change the picture?

Hi Shifat,

I believe what Clark's trying to explain is as a freelancer, your profile picture has to accurately represent who you are, it obviously shouldn't be a photo of a place, a design, or object, or someone or something else (also, misrepresenting who you are, goes against our Terms of Service.)

I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Shifat i am also facing the same issue. 

Hello everyone! 

I'm kezia, I'm new here hope to get some advise and tips to get hired. 

Thank you. 

Same to you bro............

Please let me know how it goes if you get it 🥵

I am a new user here in Upwork, anyone can advice me what types of work is needed to be done here? I need someone who can assist me

For you (judging from your profile), I'd recommend VA. You look presentable, and your English should be that "basic." (You're Pinay, I don't know why you say your English is basic. All schools in the Philippines teach English first, then Tagalog, Cebuano, etc.)

Try to search for other VAs on Upwork and see what they offer and try to offer a similar service. Then, distinguish yourself by niching down to a specific type of VA, like CEO Assistant, SEO Agency VA, etc.

I am new on Upwork help me to get first job.

Hello ! 

Im looking forword to get my first job as a freelancer after sending lots of unsuccesful proposals . 

Anyone can help me with some tips ? 

Hello guys, can I get feedback on my profile and how to improve it to get my first job

You wait like me and hope you will get a job

I'm also a new member of Upwork. Trying to figure out the best way to find a job

Hello Shumon M Upwork is a little different from other platforms, here the client enters his requirement min. Need to be mentioned so that your client is satisfied with you and responds to you I hope you understand

2cb172d4
Community Member

Hello Everyone.
I am on this platform for almost 2 months and haven't got any work yet, I would appreciate if I get some feedbacks on my profile that could help me in the future. 

I am an Expert E-Commerce VA for Amazon, Walmart and eBay, the details about my experiences are briefly mentioned in my profile. Currenly working with a private firm. 

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks
Usama

Hi,
I m currently completing my BS (Hons.) in Sociology. I have worked as a graphic designer for six months with LINCOLN CORNERS in collaboration with US EMBASSY, ISLAMABAD. Recently, I have been awarded 2nd Position in Poster Making Contest regarding Sustainable Development Goals.
I m searching for work here. 
Thanks, 
Noor

41d691a6
Community Member

i havent recive any single order from upwork since september. can anyone help me to boost and profile?

I would like to say that you should first focus on your grammar and English. and then take the Upwork Academy course, read articles, attend online events, and couching.

Hello i need work at freelancer 

f738ef41
Community Member

As a new member I was looking for some pro tips from experts. Could you please help with that?

f75e2f45
Community Member

Looking for freelance jobs. I can clean l. Drive fully covered. I'm open to things and there is more I can do.

3aadab47
Community Member

Hello Everyone.

I am on this platform for almost 2 months and haven't got any work yet, I would appreciate if I get some feedbacks on my profile that could help me in the future. 

I am an Expert E-Commerce VA for Amazon, Walmart and eBay, the details about my experiences are briefly mentioned in my profile. Currenly working with a private firm. 

Thanks

Izu

4f99149f
Community Member

I am new in Upwork. How to get my first order?

Suggest me some tips.

Thanks

be online more time that you can 

73025ad4
Community Member

Hi Freelancers 

I'm happy to be a part of Upwork community and to be one of the future freelancer. Although I'm new and have much to learn. But one thing that I'm sure is that the key to getting the first project is consistency and staying motivated... Working in the right direction.

So I thought of starting a discuss where you could give advise or share experiences by which I could learn and grow my profile in becoming an expert freelancer.

Looking forward to hear some fruitful advice. Thanks! 

4aa930ce
Community Member

Hi iam new i need help

2d1f1ad6
Community Member

how can find my first job her

8a566cdb
Community Member

Hello! My name is Joanna, and I live in the Philippines. I'm not new to Upwork, but I'm having a difficult time finding work. I am a registered nurse with a focus on administration. I'm hoping you can advise me on how to get hired right away. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Hi Joanna! As a registered nurse with a focus on administration, there may be a range of opportunities for you on Upwork. Here are a few tips to help you increase your chances of finding work quickly:

1. Build a strong profile: Make sure your profile is complete, including a professional profile photo, a clear headline, and a detailed overview of your skills and experience. Also, consider taking some skill tests to showcase your expertise and increase your visibility to clients.
  2. Customize your proposals: Avoid sending generic proposals and make sure to tailor each proposal to the specific job you are applying for. Highlight your relevant skills and experience and explain how you can add value to the client's project.
  3. Apply to jobs regularly: Don't wait for clients to invite you to apply for jobs. Instead, search for jobs that match your skills and experience and submit well-crafted proposals.
  4. Be flexible: Consider taking on smaller projects at first to build up your portfolio and get some positive reviews. This can help you establish credibility and increase your chances of getting hired for larger projects in the future.
  5. Network and seek feedback: Join relevant groups and forums on Upwork and seek feedback from other freelancers to improve your skills and profile. Also, consider reaching out to clients you have worked with in the past to see if they have any new opportunities available.

I hope these tips help you find work on Upwork quickly! Good luck with your job search.

Hello Abu, 

I have been trying my luck for these past few weeks. I have applied to 10 jobs but still have not been able to secure one. Could you kindly review my profile and share what you think is the challenge. 

Could you also show the link to taking the skill test on Upwork? 

Thank you!

890e5c98
Community Member

If I wanna typing project so how u do me a favor?

b8f2989b
Community Member

Hi everyone. I am new at upwork. I have been proposing to some project for some time but no proposal have been accepted. Can you guys give me any tips on how to boost or promote my project? Thanks!

Hello!  I can provide you with some tips on how to increase your chances of getting your proposals accepted on Upwork:

• Optimize your profile: Make sure your profile is complete, professional, and clearly showcases your skills and experience.
  • Be selective with your proposals: Only apply for projects that match your skills and experience. Tailor your proposals to each job and explain why you are the right person for the job.
  • Keep your proposals concise and focused: Make sure your proposals are easy to read and clearly communicate your skills, experience, and how you can help the client.
  • Be responsive: Respond to clients' messages and questions promptly and professionally.
  • Build a portfolio: Create a portfolio of your best work and share it with clients to showcase your skills and experience.
  • Consider taking tests: Take Upwork skill tests to prove your expertise in specific areas.
  • Ask for feedback: If your proposals are rejected, ask the client for feedback on how you can improve.

Remember, it may take some time and effort to get your first project on Upwork, but don't give up. Keep improving your profile, proposals, and skills, and you'll increase your chances of success. Good luck!

b08e73ab
Community Member

I am new member to join these community I am happy to see you all and I am wordpress deloper and completed one job only so what is your advice for me?

72fe3e48
Community Member

Hi, I am happy to see you all .

I'm a new member who just joined Upwork today.And I am not so clear  how  I can get a new job here. I was an e-commerce start-up owner in the past year..2 years of operational experience in the e-commerce industry.

And If I could,I hope to make friends here.I would like to grow here.Or I can improve my English.In exchange I can teach you Chinese or show you about the cultures of various parts of China

55fa9087
Community Member

Hi, All

I am new to upwork community. I am proude to be the one among you all brilliant people across the globe. I am an Engineering professional. I wish to perform any work like Data Entry, Content writting, administrative, customer support etc. Please suggest me for finding my first job.

Thanks and Regards,

Upwork very good and very easy for me 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths