🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

740 REPLIES 740
cjaguirre
Community Member

Hi I'm new here and wants to get a job as a virtual assistant.  I need help and tips please.

a513d37f
Community Member

Hi there. I'm Andrew, and I'm from Malaysia. I'm new to freelance work, and I hope to get some tips and advice on how I may get a breakthrough for some work at some stage from seasoned freelancers here. Thanks in advance!

35870fcc
Community Member

I can do data entry form filling and copy post translator ,google pvc ads.
I am new so you can help me in any matter. I will be grateful if you can help me.kindness thank you Ashiqur Rahman From Bangladesh
whatapps +8801712664659
Email : mababa.ashik@gmail.com

6ea25aaf
Community Member

c52c88f7
Community Member

Hello,

I have been on Upwork for a 5 days and actively sending proposals but have yet to get a job. How did you guys land your first job? How long did it take? I feel like it's really hard to get a short as a newbie among the many proposals that are sent out. Any tips to stand out?

048cdfe1
Community Member

Please i need a client to work with. I am a Graphic Designer, i do flyers, logos etc.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out. To start working, you will submit proposals to jobs you're interested in and are a fit for your skills and experiences. I'd also recommend that you check out the following Upwork Academy courses to help you update your profile and increase your chances of getting noticed by clients:

Additionally, feel free to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

We hope you find these online resources helpful in your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
scatterbix
Community Member

Hi I am a four year expirienced node.js developer I was hoping to get some freelance work here but my xp is in corporate jobs so need some guidance and a bit of mentorship to get into freelance, here is my resume for context.

8752263a
Community Member

New to upwork 

2ed2b7d7
Community Member

How to get an order on upwork

e9df0c11
Community Member

1. You need some money to start trading

2. Tip of starting new job is login in upwork and find your favourite job

elisa_b
Community Member

And always remember that water is wet...

7b47d502
Community Member

As a freelancer, how did you find your niche? 

How do we know what exactly we are good in?

7ec648f2
Community Member

How to get work 

2d980d2d
Community Member

Hi there, I am new to Upwork, please can someone teach me how to get my first job here?  I do need a job urgently. Thank you 

12c97a58
Community Member

I THINK THIS IS SO EMBARASSING TO ASK THIS BUT I TRIED AND TRIED BUT STILL NO CLIENTS.

Don't worry, it's not embarrassing at all! Building a client base takes time and effort. Keep trying and don't give up. Keep promoting your skills and services and eventually, the clients will come. Stay positive and keep pushing forward!

74c584c3
Community Member

Dear Upwork Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek your assistance and guidance regarding my experience on Upwork as a freelancer. Despite submitting a considerable number of proposals, I have unfortunately not been successful in securing any jobs thus far. I am reaching out to you in the hopes of receiving advice on how I can improve my chances and increase my success on the platform.

I have put significant effort into crafting tailored proposals that showcase my skills, experience, and dedication to delivering high-quality work. However, I am aware that the competitive nature of freelancing can make it challenging to stand out among other talented professionals. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions you can provide to help me improve my approach.

Specifically, I would be grateful if you could provide guidance on the following areas:

1. Proposal Strategy: Could you offer feedback on my proposal content? Is there anything I should focus on or highlight differently? Are there any common mistakes or pitfalls that I should be aware of?

2. Portfolio and Profile: How can I optimize my Upwork profile and portfolio to make them more appealing to clients? Are there any specific elements or examples of work that tend to attract attention?

3. Niche and Specialization: Should I consider focusing on a specific niche or area of expertise to differentiate myself? Would it be beneficial to highlight any particular skills or services that are currently in demand?

4. Pricing and Value: How can I ensure that my pricing is competitive and aligned with the value I provide? Are there any pricing strategies or approaches that tend to be more effective in attracting clients?

5. Client Communication: Are there any best practices or tips for effectively communicating with clients during the proposal stage? How can I convey my professionalism, reliability, and commitment to delivering outstanding results?

I am genuinely committed to honing my skills, enhancing my profile, and providing exceptional services to clients on Upwork. I believe that with the right guidance and support, I can make significant progress and achieve success in my freelancing career.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I eagerly await your response and look forward to implementing any advice or recommendations you can provide. Your assistance will not only benefit me but also contribute to the overall success of the Upwork community.

Sincerely,

Meaghen King 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ravi_iitian
Community Member

Of course, your profile needs to be polished, and your proposal needs to catch the client’s attention.

Quite a bit of help and information is available on these two aspects in this forum.

Here are a few more tips to help you navigate your way to success.

1) Study the client’s history. Does the client have a good reputation? Has the client received good feedback from freelancers? Does the client leave good feedback for freelancers?

A poor client history could lead to grief.

Of course, a new client has no history, so if you are interviewed, try to assess the client at that stage.

2) Rules change on Upwork. Upwork used to give free connects to freelancers who had applied for a job and thereafter been interviewed.

That rule has been revised as some freelancers have apparently tried to game the system.

So the new condition is as follows:

“You’ll receive free Connects (the number can vary) when you win an interview with an established client on Upwork. (To prevent gaming, we aren’t sharing all the details of what we consider ‘established.’ In general, it’s a client who has hired and spent on Upwork in the past.)”

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062898-Understanding-and-Using-Connects

"Certa bonum certamen"
208312b4
Community Member

Hello All! I have just joined Upwork and still now I am enjoying the idea, design and layout of Upwork team. I would like to know more about the software testers of Upwork. How do they work and what types of testing works are the most popular here?

Thanks!

da559890
Community Member

Hi, I'm new here can someone try me, I'm good in photo editing 🙂

e0e009bc
Community Member

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

4f39b91c
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

I am not getting jobs as I used to because of the drop in my JSS which has affected my motivation and the dedication to submit proposals that'll gain more clients. It's not that I've not submitting proposals but I don't get the job. It's not easy to gain clients after my JSS has dropped in other words - I actually don't know what to do. Also, I am not receiving invitation for a job normally I did get atleast one invitation a week.

I need help as I've no idea what I should do now - can someone please help me?

Thank You

ef918cb8
Community Member

My name is Chandrani Ray Chowdhury. My profile status is 100% complete. Still not able to get job. What to do? Please suggest.

Hi Chandrani  

Continue to apply for jobs 

66abef29
Community Member

I just joined upwork and i haven't gotten job or called for an interview since i started.

66abef29
Community Member

Tips to get a job on upwork as a newbie

66abef29
Community Member

Hello friends,  I'm  having cold start issues as a newbie on upwork but i have worked for people outside this platform before i will appreciate if you could help with hints to land my first job on upwork and can i add recommendation of someone i have worked for outside upwork to my profile.

Community Member

I'm having trouble finding job. I would love to do live chat but it seams unreachable? It's a bit discouraging am I missing something?

ef918cb8
Community Member

Thank you.

b0ff1757
Community Member

I'm new here any tips to have an online job?

387ae367
Community Member

A un no he conseguido el primer trabajo, quisiera tener mi trabajo 

178d9772
Community Member

Why didn't I get a single client, I will get a client, only then I will be able to do the job, get the freelancer to contact me with the client.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

334c0f5b
Community Member

hey!

I'm sending proposals but don't seem to be getting any views on them even though i meet the requirements of the job. Please help.

Tips for finding that first job 

4957034d
Community Member

Hello 

I'm new in freelancers and I didn't get any project yet. I'm very interested to do the project in this platform so please help me to do this.

Thank you 

Dipendra,

Congrats on joining Upwork! Please click the Academy link on the top of this page for success TIPS on how to get your first Job. Thanks!

d3fdfafc
Community Member

Am article writer 

need work 

honest clients 

d5924673
Community Member

The logo design of intermediate products needs to highlight the fashion and individual characteristics of the product. In the design, popular colors and creative elements can be used, and more complex types and graphics can be used to create a sense of fashion and high quality, to attract the attention of the target customer group.

6937e9da
Community Member

I'm new to the the team and want typing projects to initiate pl?

da31ac49
Community Member

Hi,

1. What field do you work in, and where are you located?
=> My name is Mayank i am from India. I am Tech Consultant. I help businesses to Convert their Digital Properties to Lead generating Assets.

2. What are you hoping to learn from other members?
=> I love meeting and collaborating with talented folks.

3. What (or who) inspires you?
=> This is my passion to work in technology. I know different strategies to attract visitors. We develop design and make changes in UI/UX so it affects sub-conscious mind of visitors which ultimately increase sales.

Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths