🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

740 REPLIES 740
6610103a
Community Member

hello, I can get dis website last 2 day I dont cowun how can I work dis 

Website please guess please me so I can use dis website and easy earn money

How can I get hired
asmatullayevsh14
Community Member

I'm new to freelancing. And I would really like to find a person who will teach me something new!

Hi Shirmukhamet,

Welcome to Upwork and Upwork community! Moving your post here so that you can refer to some great tips in the original message to help you get started on Upwork. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

with do you wanna know

Avoid upwork!! Waste of time and I advise you to start career on other
freelancing platforms they are more better then upwork..
--

Hello, as a newbie I find it very challenging to get writing gigs as
clients always prefer those who have been in this field a long while.
Please help.
Regards!
45742eaf
Community Member

Idle mind is the devil 😈 workshop .... Upwork for the best life's expectancy 

73b20a9d
Community Member

Hi guys. I hope you are well.

I need some advice please. I have some difficulty in getting jobs. Can someone please have a look at my profile and give me some pointers if it is lacking anything. Or worded wrong. I suck at advertising, designing is my strong suit. 

I have recently completed a buch of designing courses. I wanted to start my career with freelancing. I don't have any prior working experience, which makes it difficult to get a job, because most jobs require me to have experience.

I would really apprciate some advice.

Thank you in advance.

dc322bb6
Community Member

Hi! I'm Claudia. Could you please check my profile? I'd  appreciate your sugestions!! Thanks you all!! 

df2a9f28
Community Member

Hi Andrea

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to seek advice from one of the experienced freelancers here on Upwork. Based on my research, the chances of a freelancer getting a job are higher when they have reviews on their profile. I'm not a writer, but I just began freelance writing on Upwork, and I'm very new to Upwork. I don't have reviews on my profile, and I don't know how I'm going to land a job on Upwork. I've taken considerable steps to land myself a job on Upwork by writing an article or a content sample to submit to them when applying for a job proposal. I've also taken reasonable steps by reading the job description and submitting a cover letter, which is good enough to get a client, I have sent up to 8 proposals to clients on Upwork, but I've not gotten a job at Upwork. I feel like giving up, but for some reason I decided not to give up. I plan on uploading work portfolios on my profile despite not having any in freelance writing because I'm very new to it. Andrea, Please, I need your advice. I will appreciate it when you help me out. I've attached a document with the proposal template I sent to the clients on Upwork and the article sample for the job description, plus I also posted a screenshot of some of the Job description I applied for. if you're not a freelance writer, but you know one that could help authenticate wheather the article I wrote is good to submit as a job sample, I will appreciate. Andrea, I will appreciate if you share your WhatsApp number to me so that it will be easier for me to communicate with you, and I will also appreciate if you share the WhatsApp contact of any experienced Upwork freelance writer, so that they can help me become the best version of my self on Upwork.

Best regards

Princewill Kings Nwosu

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Princewill,

We suggest checking the links that Andrea provided above. Please also note that sharing contact info is against our Community Guidelines.

~ AJ
Upwork
179ae12f
Community Member

My hair turned gray while waiting for work on Upwork, what should I do?

ca679396
Community Member

my profile is 90% completed but I can't find a job even though I submitted a proposal

zebkhan01
Community Member

Hi can you please share some tips about how to get more jobs in Upwork related to SEO. 

6538abb0
Community Member

I just want to know how to make me more look interested in clients

Hi,
I am also new to Upwork, but I can give you some tips as I have gone through some learning pathes. 

1. Make your profile looks good:

It is the first window which strong clients can see you and provides a clear picture of the your skills, experience, and expertise. You should show your unique value proposition and ability to deliver high-quality work.

2. Personalize your proposals:

When you submit a proposal for a project, take the time to read the job description carefully and customize your proposal to fit the client's needs. Show that you understand their requirements and have the skills to deliver the results they are looking for.

3. Respond promptly:

When clients message you, respond promptly and professionally. This shows that you value their time and are committed to their project.

4. Ask questions:

Ask the client questions about their project to show that you are interested in learning more and understanding their needs. This can also help you clarify any uncertainties or doubts you may have about the project.

5. Be proactive:

Don't wait for the client to give you instructions or feedback. Take the initiative to suggest ideas, provide updates, and ask for feedback on your work. This shows that you are proactive and invested in the project's success.

6. Show enthusiasm:

Show enthusiasm for the project by sharing your excitement for the work and highlighting your relevant experience. Clients are more likely to choose a freelancer who is passionate about their work and committed to delivering great results.

Hope these tips will help you in the future. Thank you.

36493bb1
Community Member

New to Upwork: finding work 

86c631fc
Community Member

hi there, 

I am following all these tips and instructions, reading articles, writing winning proposals, and also boosting them, but still, my proposals are not viewed. I don't know why it is happening.

Hello everyone!

I finished my connectes now I don't have money to bye connectes. Help me how  I get clients 

Please help me to get my first job on upwork..I am a really hard worker and I need a job, excellent typist proof reader. 

FB_IMG_1663351803264.jpg

 i honestly don't know what i am suppose to do

Hi.

First, open Academy tab and read topics from there. Then other sub-forums. You will found many things to do.

You say that interested in to make money easily. Sorry, but no easy money here. 🙂

Hello from Istanbul, Türkiye.
I am a 4th year industrial engineering students who is about to graduate soon. I'd like to get profile feedbacks from you as more experienced freelancers. I'd love to work as a freelancer for the first time over here. I have work experience in textile (in manufacturing) and chemistry (in management).

I design presentations that are unique and tailored to the specific needs of each of my clients.

I am a resume/cover letter writer.

I have translated an English play into Turkish, have some short plays, plays, stories, over 200 poems.

Kind Regards,

Alper B. K.

So Please tell me some tips how i can apply and submit a porposal 

Hi friends,

I am new to Upwork, and I have to get the first job to proceed ID verification. But I didn't get any small job yet, unfortunately. I have placed 10 bids already. If you have good experience in this field, please teach me.

Thank you.

I also would like to get some assistance on how its works.  I mean the website

Hi my name is Mohsin i new on upwork anyone tell me how to get first jobs on upwork 

Freelance-Writing-Gigs-1.png

can you help me i am new to this job

Hello Everyone,

Could you please suggest how can I get my first client or improve my chances to get it?

I have done all profile settings/Visibility /Freelancer Plus profile but I am not getting any response from the client after submitting so many proposals.

I am getting tired of this. please help.

Thanks,

Shalu

Shalu,

Please modify the Summary into four short paragraphs with the first sentence as the most important, add your Portfolio, add a Project Catalog, use all 15 Skills IF they apply. Also view the Academy link on the top of this page for success TIPS. Thanks!

I am new to the opera community and I'm just wondering if anyone has any special tips on landing the first contract with the client says you haven't done your contract there are more hesitant to give you a second look. Any input for criticism, etc. appreciate it.

f9145cf0
Community Member

Hello Andrea G,
Greetings of the day. 
I have been trying to get the first project for 2-3 months. But I still never got a reply from the client. My profile is also 100% complete.

b97686b6
Community Member

I want to work on this site for earning... please help me

07ca3293
Community Member

Hi , I'm Deepali . I am fresher graphic designer . please give me some ideas how to get graphic work ? beacouse , I tried  a lot but , no response . I need your help .

1ee2de1c
Community Member

how to earn money here?

Hi Shaira, 

Welcome to Upwork! I see that you have recently signed up for Upwork. I suggest you take a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:

Additionally, feel free to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork. We hope you find these online resources useful in your Upwork journey.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork

you can eran money by showing your skills and talent here on upwork and you get jobs.

tushar-savaliya
Community Member

thank you

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths