🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

740 REPLIES 740
d2ecd537
Community Member

It is almost impossible to get a job here to be honest 

No bro upwork is one of the best platform for every freelancer to get a job.

fb7913bc
Community Member

I am new here and things are a little bit confusing still. I really wanted to have a job and chose upwork because of its felxibility. How can I have my first job?

complete your profile spend more time on upwork. create attractive proposal.

2f034630
Community Member

Still in searching for a job
1530e52f
Community Member

I AM A DESIGNER AND WRITER AND COPYWRITER A D DATA ENTERY AND VIDEO CREATER

complete your profile and show your all skills and get first job.

Hello everyone,

I learnt Power BI from  Microsoft training, Edureka Free course,  learnit and Youtube too. I have build my portfoilo and get  datasets from  kaggle, maven analytics etc. I am learning it now as well to get certificates, but it will take some time. I want to work as a beginner. How to send proposals? How to start? 

Please help me in this regard.

80fc38de
Community Member

How we know our review accepted candidates how to complete profile 100 %

id verified.

1434f559
Community Member

i'am a new seller. I add subtitles to videos but i dont know how to interact with the audience

hello Hoorain, Your profile is not completed first you need to complete your profile.

fdd951de
Community Member

please help /traine as freelancer.if any one who have experience ,tell us your first earnings &how could be? in detail .thanks in advance 

f6e2cef0
Community Member

Please I need a job now. Any agency out there

8947b43b
Community Member

I will be the most happiest person to learn from the Upwork academy 

Your Lucky

d8b87df4
Community Member

i am worried about for job and work as a freelancer, i am not able to find any work on this platform,Actually i have a problems in this that in all jobs have many proposals and much required connect.

Hello Amna Ypour Profile is not completed first you need to complete your profile.

but my profile is completed.

d6921d65
Community Member

Hello,

I joined Upwork in 2019 but optimized my account last month. Since then, I have sent over ten proposals without winning any job. I'd also appreciate tips to win my first job and feedback about my profile. 

Thanks,

Victor.

c1f46798
Community Member

Hello dear Upworkians!

I've been on Upwork for a few weeks now, but I still haven't received any projects. I have reached out to a few potential book-editor enquirers, but there has been no response. How do  I increase my chances of getting a book to edit here on Upwork?

Thank you!

Dharshana Bajaj

Deep Blue Editorial Services

create attractive prposal and increase the job wining chance.

33b1fb08
Community Member

hello,im new here and i need help

Complete your profile first Flozzy.

73e79cc1
Community Member

In need of a job in Upwork. I have been here since 23/03/2023. I really need a job here. I shoulder all my bills. I am giving available 5 hours daily to do this job. 

I will be very happy if I am taken,as a virtual Assistant. 

Thank you for your consideration.

Your profile is minimal, no samples of your work, minimal describtion of your skills and services, no job or eduction history. Your rate is way too high for just starting here without any completed jobs. This is much more a freelance, project by project site, than it is a job position site.

This forum is for freelancers, not people looking to hire.

37420ea9
Community Member

I have been on Upwork since January and it looks like nobody wants to hire me.

I even offered free services, but no one cares, please help me

what do i do?

0c377d03
Community Member

Really need the job.

bfb32b2b
Community Member

Hello there, I am also a new member on Upwork. I have never won any proposals. I receive messages on my Gmail saying I must connect with persons on telegram, claiming they are from Upwork platform. I feel overwhelmed at times.

My regards, Melbourne 

17b3434d
Community Member

I'm new here in Upwork and I'm looking for typing and converting job 

339f9a23
Community Member

Please suggest me how to get my first job at Upwork as an academic writer?

Thanks

f80978a6
Community Member

Super 

61b8deaf
Community Member

Please visit my profile for further updates

I'm not getting enough visits nor I'm I getting interviewed to the jobs I apply

Paul sam
6c93b8db
Community Member

Hi I have recently started this work, and lack of knowledge i am unable start properly, can you please share any contact details to talk with a person who is best to answer all of mine queries. Because I need some support/help from your end.

Thanks & Regards

Sachin D

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

328871ab
Community Member

I am new to this Upwork online jobs.I am waiting for the new job . Let's see how effective it is 😉

b38209e6
Community Member

Dear Team,

How are you doing? I joined Upwork towards the end of February 2023 and created projects, consultations and completed my profile. It shows 100% complete. 

For additional connects, I subscribed to upwork plus and received additional connects. I applied to more than 20 jobs which suited my profile and wrote cover letters highlighting my experience and how my profile is a match for their requirements. I received some messages but none of the jobs were convered. 

Now I am left with 7 connects and most of the relevant jobs are open for 8 connects. It seems for a newbie there is no inflow of money rather a demand to keep buying connects and trying luck for projects which are ultimately going to fall in the laps of top talents. 

I would request you to let me know:

1. what can be done to increase more profile visibility

2. How to ensure that proposals are converted to jobs. 

Regards

Kalpana G

What does your profile look like? I'd recommend a solid portfolio, some testimonials and a profile detailing what you can help clients with and your previous experience. 

Dear Katherine, 

Please refer to my profile through the link below:

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01498c4055b8b1bd82

How can I have solid testimonials without any job on upwork. Please read my post carefully. 

Regards

Kalpana G

c07e5460
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

My account on Upwork since 2020, Can you help me to how get the project from upwork

-Avinash 

mukili
Community Member

Hello,

I am new here and would love to know how you go about getting writing jobs I have bid for several jobs but failed please advise on some of the keywords that you use or rates, I would love to continue on this journey that I have taken, If I could find some advice or mentor will be of much help.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths