🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,774 REPLIES 1,774
be843517
Community Member

Hi 

I'm pretty new here and have applied to some. I've not gotten any job yet. How do I get my first entry level. Did numerous apprenticeships. Has anyone found it difficult to land your first role. How do you get any work here? please let me know!

7d293cd0
Community Member

hi i need work 

c6a08ba4
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit new to the upwork community since I've been only on it for a month, I haven't been able to find any projects on my own and I realized too late that I might have to actually network for that.

I have been writing or attempting to since I was 8 (currently 18 so that's not a very long time)

I started reading around the same time I started writing and I realized it was my thing pretty quickly. I can mostly do any genre but it partly depends on the genre I'm reading in at that particular period.

I've realized that I often add humor in most of my works cause it's been my coping mechanism for a long time and I write mostly mystery and/or romance cause those are the genres I'm most well read in.

I'm currently a law student and I joined upwork to be able to hone my skills mostly and to try new genres or new project types I haven't tried before.

I would love to get everyone's experiences and advice on how to get work.

a336b132
Community Member

What the most simple job in upwork

80acc8ce
Community Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to Upwork, and I'm facing a challenge with my job search and lost all of my connects. Despite putting in efforts, I haven't landed any opportunities yet. As a Civil Engineering student at UET Lahore, it's been tough for my parents to meet my educational expenses. That's why I'm here, hoping to find some freelance work and support myself financially. I'm feeling a bit disappointed at the moment.  If any of you have advice, guidance, or potential job opportunities to share, I would be incredibly grateful for your help in kickstarting my freelance journey and supporting my education. Thank you for your time and consideration!"

Hi Amna,

Welcome to the exciting world of the Upwork Community! This is where you can hang out with like-minded folks, ask and answer questions, explore hot topics, and keep up with the latest buzz on Upwork.
And that's not all! The Community is also your chance to give us feedback on what you love and want to see more of. We're all ears, so don't be shy!
But before we get carried away, let's start with the basics. Check out these excellent Upwork Academy courses to help kickstart your Upwork journey:
And if that's not enough, you can also sign up for upcoming events and webinars that are sure to boost your success on Upwork.
So get ready to have some fun and learn a lot. We hope you find these online resources super helpful. Let's rock this Upwork journey together!
~ Joanne
Upwork
6d2d7cfe
Community Member

Hello madam,

I am a structral Engineer from Sri Lanka. Currently I am doing USA projects ( Structural works & Permits drwings) but as a frelancer I am new here . I shared so many samples along with my proposals.But nobody accept my proposals. Please help me .

4c06d759
Community Member

Hi Andrea 

Appreciate your work and suggestions but here is the question!

I know a guy like my teammate and he was bidding for a year with the help of many experienced people on Upwork but unfortunately he can't get even one client in the field of lead generation and no I am a beginner on Upwork I know it is hard to get the first order but I am afraid of being unsuccessful for a year like that guy.

And i too. This really got me scared 

c8a7d6c2
Community Member

Hi All,

My name is Jamilya and I am a professional bookkeeper.

I am having a difficulty to find a client while I have a very good experience in this industry.

Is there anyone in the bookkeeping field? how are you guys getting new clients?

Thank you for your reply beforehand!

e3227f12
Community Member

Hello

It is so good to be here. 

I hope you are doing well. 

I am trying to get job but still didn't get any. Please evaluate my profile and let me know if there are any adjustments I need make.

d32dcfd0
Community Member

Data entry job 

12047d16
Community Member

Please work me 

6fc4e14f
Community Member

I'm not earning any money and I've used almost all my connects

aebe9929
Community Member

Hello everyone, 

I just wanted to share. It's been several months that I have been sending proposals to jobs that I think best suit my profile but no one has responded to me, until this week! Finally got myself an offer. So excited!

My tip for everyone - do not lose hope. Just keep on trying and improving yourself. Consistency is the key.

Good luck to everyone! 

4c1f5b22
Community Member

I'm new in this community, i have no experience in this field, sooo help me in this carrier 

badb12d4
Community Member

Hi with due respect I am a software engineering student I have started freelancing to pay my university fee but I am not getting clients on Upwork my proposals are not getting accepted can guys please help me to grow on Upwork as a freelancer? I am waiting for your reply thank you 

Honestly, no one can help you grow as a freelancer other than yourself. You need to understand that there are plenty of freelancers out there who have similar skill sets as you. If you want clients to consider your proposal and give you an interview, you need to give them concrete samples of what you can do, what they can expect from you over everyone else, and what kind of experience you have working on a similar project to theirs. The last one proves challenging for most because a lot of people join Upwork without any prior working experience. Most clients on Upwork want someone who not only has some knowledge of the given field but the experience to back it up, no matter how little it is. From there, it's just a matter of earning the client's faith and trust in that first proposal for them to take a chance on you. Upwork is not the place to go if you want to earn money quickly. You need to carefully choose what jobs to apply for and prepare a convincing argument for clients to even take a look at your proposal. If you want to succeed on Upwork, then try building up experience outside of it first so that you have something to lean back on when applying.

You're a student. That means that you have no experience yet. Why would anyone hire you? Upwork is supposed to be a platform for experienced professionals. So finish college, get some experience, and then come back.

Hello Se Eduardo P

I totally agree with what you say cause if one is not experience well enough and by luck they got an order and they could not get the work done because they are not experience in it and which leads to low rating and negative review which might not make you to get jobs from buyer again

Kindly review my profile and give me your review

Here is my link: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0124772f1a5b6edd42

Thanks

Ajarat

19fadaa9
Community Member

how can i get a client to work for him,iam still new to this flatform

0e4a7adf
Community Member

how can i find job or how do i hired?

foisal360
Community Member

still don't have any client,Trying my best for my first job. pray for me.Thanks

26ad8c7d
Community Member

Hello,

I am Rebeka. I have 4 years of bookkeeping experince in quickbook and xero. 

Bank reconciliations 

Invoices posting and add payments AR

Bills posting and add payments

Make Financial statements.

Tax preparing BAS, ITR Australian based

Excel/ Google spread sheet Accounting.

please send me interview invitation if anyone prefer.

Thank you

https://www.upwork.com/services/product/consulting-hr-bookkeeping-service-and-tax-return-and-bas-pre...

36b309c1
Community Member

hey amzians! i'm new on upwork. please guide me for my first order startup

View as many video's that Upwork offers.

Take notes and apply all.

mrgraphicstudio
Community Member

I am in upwork for long time but not getting job, what can i do to get job please let me know

827af6c3
Community Member

Hi,

I had an old account, but I did not try to work in it, and when I tried to work with it for the first time, I got my first job. And on the next five tries I got the second one working.

But now I don't understand why I don't get any work. Can someone look at my profile and tell me if it is good or if it needs modifications?

foisal12
Community Member

I bid like 100 but still not getting any client's even not seen just wasting time and connets while i have attached portfolio on bidding and also i have good skrills of working fields. please if anyone can help or suggest me which way i have to use for getting clients.

You need to tell your clients: What 'You' can do for them. Not what you 'I have' done in the past.

Thanks helpful comment

d4674e33
Community Member

Start by filling out your profile like other people have told you on your other posts.

4d304a0f
Community Member

Keep upwork with me on upwork and get a job according to your skills

Hi Shagufta,

I checked your account, and it looks like you have not completed your profile yet. To start as a freelancer, you must have a profile. 

The Upwork Community is where you can ask and answer questions, search for topics, learn, network with members, and get updates about Upwork.
Let’s get you started with the basics here at Upwork. Below are a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:
You can also sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.
The Community is also where members can share feedback on existing features and suggestions for new features. If you have ideas on how we can improve your experience on Upwork, the Community is a great place to share them!

We hope you find these online resources helpful in your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
952f049d
Community Member

I'm new to the platform and am still learning the ropes on the 'talent' end. However, is there a way to send messages or invitations without it costing? As mentioned, Ìm on the other side so I don't know how it works for you. Is there any suggestions as to how us "authentic" workers can put in our Cover Letter and/or Proposal proving we're the real deal? 

Hi Brooke,

Thanks for reaching out about writing proposals and cover letters. We know writing a cover letter can be overwhelming at times, especially if you're new to it. Think of it as a way to stand out from the crowd and showcase what's unique about your skills to specifically highlight how you're a good fit for a particular job or project.

Here are a few resources that may help you learn more and improve your proposal writing skills:
Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork
ebf39379
Community Member

Hello, I hope everything is going well with you!

I've been looking for work but have yet to find one. Please review my profile and let me know if there are any changes I need to make.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01e2fb8824796638b4

Areeb Sal.

Suggestions:  Look for the thread that says 'Welcome to new Freelancers' There are some great Upwork reps willing to help you - Hugo is the best. Meanwhile:

1) View videos here on Upwork on how to craft special cover letters for your specific desired clients. These videos also will gain you badges that reflect on your profile - desired to your clients.

2) Find short projects from clients to complete. Look for "I need work completed in one day or evening"

3) Do not be focusing on large amounts of income right away - more importantly focus on 'Feedback' this will evenutally lead you to more projects that will last longer. Best in your future!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths