🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
1,737 REPLIES 1,737
c1f7dd8a
Community Member

Hello there, this is Jose hernandez, i would like to know how can apply to any of these jobs. thanks in advance. 

Try looking in the learning pads there is a specific video and just Cover letters which are proposals that you would write to the client to receive the project

6a1f3fcd
Community Member

Is there a sample job advert that explains how the read each element of an advert?

I am not sure if I have explained myself very well! 😊

The learning path videos Have actual scenes in them .                                  -They explain how to create a proposal So that the client will hire you. And how to To a Really make  great profile  - so the client will also hire you.  Please review you will not be sorry!

c5984571
Community Member

Hi Andrea. I am new to upwork. I recently made my first proposal and the client asked if i could do a test about posting a "demo job ad" using my Linkedin Account. I found this unsettling. As an observation, i saw the client posting multiple job ads of the same nature on Upwork. Is this a red flag? 

If you look in the Terms of Service of Upwork:

They do not want you to offer your personal info.  Having access to your LinkedIn account would be a No, No.

Sounds like a spam from my observation.

018e79a6
Community Member

How much do you want to rate the cover letter? maybe the rating will be low. But I'm here to learn from professionals. 

Thank you.
IMG_20231121_223120.jpg

Maybe tell the client 'where' you found their job (project)?

Sometimes clients list the job on google, upwork and other areas.

What exactly can you do to increase the profit of the client in their job?

Read their job and see specifically 3 different ways you could help them.

The rest seemed very good.

All the est in the future to you!

7e439c0f
Community Member

Kya kro mein

3a86291c
Community Member

Watch the videos Joann Mare P suggests. If you do not. You will never get any where on Upwork.

8692e761
Community Member

Madam,

Good evening.My name is CH.Bala subrahmanyam.I am from Andhra pradesh,India.I am a retired private sector employee and aged 58.Now I wish to make a little money at my free time,Working from home,1-2 hours a day.I have a degree(1984 Batch)and a little Knowledge in English.I wish to work as a Data entry operator or as a Translator. I do not have any experience in these fields.could you guide me to proceed further?

f71d113e
Community Member

how can I get my first client?

Check out the learning path videos they will help you a great deal

d457f4ac
Community Member

I am drawn to [company name]'s commitment to [mention something specific about the company, such as its values, mission, or recent achievements], and I am eager to bring my skills and dedication to your esteemed organization.

Hi Nazmul,

Welcome to Upwork! Here are some tips on how to get started on Upwork:

• Complete your profile: Take time to provide accurate and complete information about yourself and your skills. This will help clients find you and determine if you're a good fit for their projects.
  • Add your portfolio to your Upwork profile: If you have work samples and past projects, add them to your Upwork portfolio. It gives clients an idea of your skills and experience.
  • Propose your services: Browse through the projects in the marketplace and apply for projects that interest you and align with your skills. Your proposal should include your experience and skills and why you're a good fit for the project.
Check out these Upwork Academy courses to kickstart your journey:
Remember that getting hired as a freelancer on Upwork can be competitive, so it’s important to have a strong profile and portfolio and submit well-written proposals.

Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork
7783922b
Community Member

• Im expert Articles writing.....
Momina
83a715ce
Community Member

Hello Community,

I am a professional WordPress website developer and mentor, but I am new on Upwork. I have a lot of expertise developing different types of websites successfully. I am ready to work for both long-term and short-term and available for interview immediately. Please let me know if there is any opportunity to get started.

Thank you very much!

Please view the Learning Path Videos on the right side of this page towards the top:

They explain details in Profile and winning clients over with great cover letters.

fdb7fd18
Community Member

Kindly i need someone to help me get started because I'm new here 

Read Andrea' s post at top of page. It is excellent!

a1b2a76d
Community Member

Navigating Digital Marketing: Tips for Getting Your First Client

Hey there,

Starting out in**Edited for Community Guidelines** is cool, but getting that first client can be tricky. Let's talk about some friendly ways to tackle this challenge and grab your first client!

1. Be Easy to Find with Keywords: Make your online space shine by using words that people search a lot. Put these keywords in your website, blogs, and social media. This way, when someone looks for what you do, they find you easily.

2. Write Stuff That Grabs Attention: Share helpful blog posts about common digital marketing issues. Use words like "digital marketing solutions," "good strategies," and "finding clients." Writing useful stuff not only shows you know your stuff but also brings more people to your website.

3. Say Hi on Social Media: Social media is your buddy. Share your blogs, talk to people in your field, and make friends online. Use hashtags related to what you do to reach even more folks.

4. Make Friends at Events: Go to online events, webinars, or places where digital marketing folks hang out. Meeting people is a cool way to get referrals or find your first client.

5. Give Away Some Free Help: Show off your skills by giving free advice or hosting workshops. This not only shows you're good but lets people see if they like your style. You can even ask them if they want more help after!

6. Make Your Website Easy to Use: Fix up your website so visitors can easily figure out what you're about. Put a clear button that says something like "Let's Work Together." Making it simple helps turn visitors into clients.

So, getting your first client might seem like a puzzle, but with these tips—using good words, sharing useful stuff, making friends online and offline, giving a little for free, and having an easy-to-use website—you're on your way to making it happen. Keep at it, stay real, and success is on the horizon. Good luck! 

Some Great tips  Diksha. Thanks for sharing🙌

6b444805
Community Member

Hello all, 

Nice to meet, Good to all. 

I am new to Upwork here, need to advice / guide to go head here. 

Offcourse yes... guide me

Take the time to watch videos of New to Upwork

You need this knowledge to soar well on this Platform

992ed7e3
Community Member

I experience in amazon, ebay, walmart A to Z. i need cliends. anyone here who help me to getting clients.

here is my profile link:
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~016bb3c1d0f2920d79

Thank you.

03305f39
Community Member

Hello dear freelancers,

I've been on upwork for about three months.I apply to job openings but in the end I haven't gotten a single job,no message no interview...I've got nothing out of the job I applied to ...

Ive optimized my profile so many time but to no avail.

I need help in getting jobs .

thank you 

tgcodes
Community Member

I can't see your profile, it's private. You need to make it public.

alright

96b7bf5a
Community Member

How can I get a work

Though I joined Upwork platform very recently, I have since realized that there are three ways by which you can secure jobs on the platform. #1 write suiting proposal for every job you know you can handle very well #2 display and complete your catalogue projects #3  think of areas whereby you can serve as a consultant for clients and display those knowledge of yours.

023174cc
Community Member

How will I get a job

pritesh_b
Community Member

profile Improvement Tips:

1. Complete Profile: Ensure your profile is comprehensive, showcasing your skills, experiences, and what makes you unique.
  2. Value Proposition: Emphasize what you can offer to clients, focusing on how you can benefit them.
  3. Customize Proposals: Tailor your proposals to each job, demonstrating a clear understanding of the client's needs.
  4. Portfolio: Populate your portfolio with relevant samples of your work. Clients often want to see tangible examples.
  5. English Proficiency: Ensure your profile text is well-written and demonstrates proficiency in English.
  6. Engagement: Actively engage in forum discussions and groups. It can help increase visibility.

Job Application Advice:

1. Focus on Client Needs: Address how you can solve the client's problems rather than just talking about yourself.
  2. Customization: Customize each job application to the specific requirements mentioned by the client.
  3. Persistence: Keep applying and refining your approach. The first job might take time, but persistence pays off.

Additional Suggestions:

• Review the Upwork Academy and other resources provided by the platform for detailed guidance.
  • Regularly review the provided links, as they might contain valuable insights and advice.
d9b3867e
Community Member

I submit many perposel but i have no work please guide me and help me

4979e89d
Community Member

HI , i am Karamat Ali . I am a video editor .

I am a newbie to upwork and I have submitted many proposals till date. It has been many days and I still didn't receive a single response from the client. I write compelling proposals and even came top 20% in the upwork tests. 

Am I doing something wrong? If so,what can I do to further improve my profile and increase my chances of landing that first job?

e7633e5d
Community Member

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a remote customer service job with little experience on the remote side but plenty of customer service experience 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths