Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team

Highlighted
Upwork Staff
Mike J Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
61 of 113

Hi Serop,

You can add work from clients outside of Upwork as long as you have their permission to share the work publicly.

Best,
Mike J. | Jr. Program Manager, Talent Success
Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
62 of 113

Mike J wrote:

Hi Serop,

You can add work from clients outside of Upwork as long as you have their permission to share the work publicly.

Mike, I liked your other picture better. 

You might find this helpful: https://www.upwork.com/resources/how-to-guide-perfect-profile-picture

Highlighted
Serop K Member Since: Sep 4, 2020
63 of 113

thanks mike!

Highlighted
Abdulrashid Mohame O Member Since: Jun 19, 2020
64 of 113

Dear Mike,

Greetings.

I hope you are doing well and safe. Thank you for sharing these wonderful tips for new freelancers like myself. I will be happy and appreciate it if you can go through my profile and give me suggestions to improve. I have been sending proposals but I am yet to secure a contract with a client. Looking forward to hearing your response.

Regards,

Abdulrashid M. Omar

Highlighted
Upwork Staff
65 of 113

Hi Abdulrashid,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list. Another idea is to use bullets and other delineators to break up your profile.
  • Your written English skills are strong and you are easy to understand. However, I did see a few minor errors. If you'd like to add extra polish, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Highlighted
Abdulrashid Mohame O Member Since: Jun 19, 2020
66 of 113

Dear Mike,

Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. These tips will definitely help me polish my Upwork profile and bid for jobs. Looking forward to receiving more tips from you. 

Kind regards,

Abdulrashid M. Omar

Highlighted
David F Member Since: Sep 10, 2020
67 of 113

Hi

I'm trying to get to grips with Upwork and create a profile that will engage and convert for me. Any chance you could have a look and see how I can improve it.  I am sure my profile overivew is too long and rambling and not relevant

Thanks

Upwork Staff
68 of 113

Hi David,

Thanks for your message. I'd suggest posting here to get feedback from experienced freelancers, but I did review your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile should be written in the first person and reflect your individual skills. If you are operating as a team, please consider creating an agency account.
  • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list. Another idea is to use bullets and other delineators to break up your profile:

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Highlighted
Hana W Member Since: Dec 7, 2019
69 of 113

Thank you, Mike J.  Extremely helpful. I will continue to plug away ...

Highlighted
Megan C Member Since: Sep 12, 2020
70 of 113

Hi Mike!  Thanks for this post.  I am just getting started and would love some feedback on my profile. 

One item I am stuck on is getting my profile to 100%.  It is missing a linked profile from other social media.  I don't have any of the accounts listed - can I link to LinkedIn?

Thanks for any help!