🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849

Hi Bolaji,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
monya_estilo
Community Member

Hello, 

Thanks for the advice you provided. I will share my experience with the Success Score. 

My success score was 93% and this week it dropped to 86%. All my ratings and feedback from clients are excellent. 

Now I understand that a contract doesn't have to be left without activity. 

Upwork should really think about all the freelancers that are working part-time on the platform and sometimes the clients are the ones who left a contract open and make another one. 

When I contact them, they close the previous version, but usually, it's too late and now my rating dropped significantly and because of that, I am maybe not able to get new clients this month.

In addition, I always receive invitations on which I respond within 1-2 hours and every time except them, and my response time is under 24 hours. 

I try to be online almost all the time. So really think about the way you are calculating the success score. Sometimes a freelancer can have really bad reviews and still have a score of around 90-95%. 

Thanks for your time, 

Simona

Hi Simona,

Thank you for your message. We appreciate your feedback about the Job Success Score. Remember, your JSS can change because:

• You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
  • You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
  • A higher-value job is added to your score, and outweighs lower-value jobs.
  • Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.
  • Jobs with no feedback or recent payment have become counted in your score, either because they were closed or because several months have passed since you received a payment.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike
creativey
Community Member

Hey Mike! 

I want you to check my profile and suggest me if anything I can improve. I'm freelancing services from 2016 and got good success on other platforms. Always I want to be on Upwork, I'm providing B2B services like hosting, VPS, email server setup with billing, and website with Litespeed and OpenLitespeed server (also I'm a contributor Openlitespeed and Cyberpanel and Cyberpanel VMM). Some of my skills available on Upwork. So I want to push myself on Upwork. can you please help me to improve my profile?
With regards,

Shailesh L (Ambtec)

Hello Shailesh,

Thank you for your message. I have reviewed you profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list. Another idea is to use bullets and other delineators to break up your profile/

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I am new here and I have sent several proposals with an active one just yesterday. I feel that my profile is not attractive to clients. Please let me know any changes to be made to have it look more appealing. 

Thank you! 

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hazel,

• Your email address is listed in your profile Overview. This is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. Please remove this. You may only communicate with clients via the Upwork platform until a contract is in place.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
  • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
  • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
rabiudesign
Community Member

Dear Mike,

Please review my profile. And give me some suggestions on how to get more jobs and more invitations.

Advance thanks
Md.Rabiul Alam

Hi Md Rabiul.

Thank you for your message. Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
  • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
  • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
  • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

Here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike
792a5534
Community Member

Hello Mike, Thanks for your interest to help new Freelancers like me. I would be glad if you can help me build my profile, Please reply me so that i can share my profile with you for review. 

Thank you.

Huzaifa

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad H,

Thanks for your message. I have some suggestions for your profile:

• Your written English skills are strong and you are easy to understand. However, I did see a few minor errors. If you'd like to add extra polish, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike
bijoyaraha
Community Member

plase help me

Hi Bijoya,

How might we assist you?

Cheers,
Mike

Hi,

Is there any back office or any account that has a very little to no dialing hours account here in upwork? I have been working in BPO for over 10 years and its really draining.  Can someone help me to find a client? someone who is willing to give at least $8 an hour.

Please help.

Thank you.

perfectcreations
Community Member

Hello,

I cleared the Upwork Readiness Test and My profile is 100 per cent complete. What else is required to get Upwork Rising Talent badge? 

Regards

Rajesh M

Hi Rajesh,

Once qualified you will receive an email confirmation, the badge will be awarded on your profile in up to 48 hours. To learn more about the requirements check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
c4a2ea5d
Community Member

I am new here, but do not get the Raising Talent Badge yet. is there any special requirement to get the badge? However, I have already read the necessary requirement to become a Raising Talent at Upwork.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md Firoz,

Once qualified you will receive an email confirmation, the badge will be awarded on your profile in up to 48 hours. To learn more about the requirements check out this Help Article.

Cheers,
Mike
cerogers78
Community Member

Hi Mike! 

Thank you for the tips. Also, thanks for linking the articles that you feel would be helpful. I will definitely be checking them out. 

Have a blessed day.

-Cindy-

osuolaleemmanuel
Community Member

I would really appreciating a review of my profile please

Hi Iyanuloluwa,

Thank you for your message. I have reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

Here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
potter_tina
Community Member

Mike,

Thanks for the tips. I signed up to purchase connects but would like to pause the connects for a month or so. I don't want to pause the work, as I am still applying but my connects are piling up. How do I accomplish that task?

Thanks for the info.

Tina

Hi Tina,

You can adjust your membership from Settings > Membership & Connects. You can learn more about Connects balance limits and roll over here.

Cheers,
Mike
b2654d0e
Community Member

Hi Mike!

Could you review my profile and suggest to me how to improve my profile?

Best regards.

Kadir

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kadir,

Your profile is off to a good start, but I would suggest requesting peer feedback in this post.

Cheers,
Mike

Thank you Mike!

d_gebeyehu
Community Member

Dear Mike J, I am new here and I was going to ask about all the topics you mentioned and it did stop me to write and read. It was helpful and informative. Thanks.

Regards,
Daniel
mchak1
Community Member

Hi:

I'm fairly new to Upwork (just over a month I think) and am having trouble finding jobs. I have redone my profile, and am starting to lose hope. I have had just two contracts, a few bites, but nothing came of them. I find people bidding for far less than I can afford to, and wonder how a freelancer can actually work for the rates they are putting. Plus, I've already bought plenty of connects, and some jobs take up 6. In my opinion, if you are not hiring me, you should return the connects to me Man Happy

I hope I have a better experience in the near future.

0c295e7b
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Hope you are soing fine.

I am new in Upwork. Created my profile 04 months ago. I have applied for 04 jobs but not yet get one.

But my profile has been set to Private automatically. 

Will my profile be disabled or closed if don't win job in next few months?

As per the email sent to me I am trying to earn but can't win bids.

what can I do now?

Regards

Md. Abdul Awal.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to invite you to an exclusive Ask Me Anything office hours with one of our Upwork Success Partners. During this live session, you will be able to ask any unanswered or follow-up questions about maximizing your success on Upwork.

The Ask Me Anything will take place via Zoom on Wednesday, November 4th at 10 am CDT. 

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://upwork.zoom.us/j/92673475397?pwd=MFA5ZGdrem05UkxySDZlTFlLbmZydz09 

Meeting ID: 926 7347 5397
Passcode: 044629

We look forward to speaking with you!

Cheers,
Mike
raju34359
Community Member

Hello Mike,
Would you mind providing me the most useful and specific suggestions to start my career with Upwork through taking a look at my profile?
I would like to start with entry level jobs like data entry, copy writing, Bengali to English language translations or simple copy-paste jobs etc. I have submitted 6 proposals and expecting response from the clients.
I think your valuable suggestions may lead me to find the right key to unlock the door of my first success.

Thanks
Shafiul Alam Khan

Hi Shafiul,

• Photos make a strong first impression. Clear, headshot-style photos with a simple background work best. Improve yours by taking a photo with a plain background and in which you have a more welcoming facial expression. Check out this how-to guide.

• If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
dezineden
Community Member

I am waiting to land new clients through this program .Though only a week ,has anyone got success in landing new clients through this program.Just curious .

Shweta

Hi there

Yes one does get new projects, but not within a week.  It takes a bit more time and persistence. I managed to get my first 2 clients within a couple of weeks after submitting a few proposals. I wish you all the best, good luck Shweta.

365ed930
Community Member

Thank you for all this info Mike.  As a new member I am continuously on the look out for helpful tips on how to improve my chances of winning projects on Upwork.  I am currently trying my best to get that rising talent badge!

2463d678
Community Member

Thank you a lot for sharing such great information, Mike!

Could you have a HOOK LOOK at my profile 🙂 because I feel there is something missing thank you aggressively in advance :).

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mohammed,

I have reviewed your profile and you are off to a good start. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview

I would suggest that you complete your profile. It is currently only 40% completed. You cannot obtain Rising Talent or Top Rated badges if your profile is not complete. You can review this article for information on completing your profile.

Cheers,
Mike
mrfanka
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Can you check my profile and recommend changes if any to win contracts.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Clim,

I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your written English skills are strong and you are easy to understand. However, I did see a few minor errors. If you'd like to add extra polish, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
alma3312
Community Member

Can you please help me review my profile and please provide feedback as well so I can improve it thank you
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths