🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849
sblanchard93
Community Member

Thank you for this post! I have had this account for several years and really just started checking it out and completing my profile. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and your Overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
  • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
  • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
  • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
  • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hello Mike,

I had been submitting proposals for more than two months. I change very often and added everything I learned from this forum. But I never get a single response from a client. Why does that mean if you don't have any past experience, you are not eligible for any work on Upwork. Kindly look into my profile **Edited for Community Guidelines** If you want I will be happy to share the proposals with you. 

Thanks for your consideration.

Kind Regards,

Usman Khan

Hi Usman.

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 
  • Your written English skills are good, but I did see a few minor errors. If you'd like to add extra polish, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
imaduddin78
Community Member

Dear Mike J.

I am glad to read your instructions and found it fruitfull. Indeed it will help me a lot as I am new to upwork freelancing. It will be more benefical for new one to be gudied through sample .

Thank you for your kind information.

Imad

23a2e4e3
Community Member

Hello, Thanks for your information, i have a complete profile and i have submitted several proposals, no invite yet, no job. what else can i do?

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

leobrat
Community Member

Hey Mike,

May you please review my profile and advice me accordingly,

thanks in advance.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lavenda,

Thank you for your message. Your profile is off to a good start. You may find these articles helpful:

Cheers,
Mike
prachi_27
Community Member

Hello Mike,

It is so kind to help New Freelancers like me. It would be pleased if you can check my profile and give me your valuable suggestions. 

Thank you.

Prachi

Hi Prachi,

Thank you for your message. You're off to a good start. One thing to note is that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview. 

Cheers,
Mike
nayan140
Community Member

thanks a lot, Mike J, I think your post it´s very helpful to build the profile. just visit my profile check Everything Ok or Not

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nayan,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and want to remind you that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. Right now, your Overview starts with an unnecessary "Hello" which takes up some of this precious real estate in search results. 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview. 

Cheers,
Mike
data_achiever
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Please help me and review my profile. From the last few days, I'm not getting responses and invitations from clients.

Hi Vicky,

Your profile looks good and you've already earned the Top Rated badge. Congratulations! 

You may find that invites eb and flow. A big key to success on Upwork is submitting proposals. Try not to rely too much on invites as the competition on Upwork is fierce.

Cheers,
Mike

please how do i get a client to accept my proposal and hire me as a newbie? I really want to start work and start earning.

haneef_lemoth
Community Member

Hi, Mike. I've been on Upwork for 30 days, completed 4 jobs, and have done the readiness test. When can I expect a Rising Star badge or JSS?

Hi Haneef,

For the Rising Talent badge, we look at a variety of factors when determining whether to award Rising Talent status. This includes client feedback, the overall strength of your profile upon submission, including prior experience and skills and your educational background, as well as the opportunities available in the market.

For the Job Success Score, more than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects, and nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects.

Please review these articles for more information:

Cheers,
Mike
gouravdeveloper
Community Member

Thanks brother. I will look after your piece of advice.

a4c914b5
Community Member

Hello, I'm here to ask for help in the sense that I want you to review my profile and tell me what you think, to know if I can be chosen for a project and how I can make it attractive my name is Hector Ramirez I am from Venezuela and I specialize in data processing
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hector,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and wanted to remind you that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
sydneyozs01
Community Member

Thanks Mike.

But I need some help....I am a rising talent badge member, I have submitted 10 proposals for jobs and for more than 4 days now, I have not been called for an interview, NOT even one. Is there something I am not doing well? Please can someone check my profile and see if I need to make some improvement. I need to do jobs to make money...Thank you.

Hi Sydney,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and made some suggestions below. You can also request feedback from other experienced freelancers here.

• Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list. Another idea is to use bullets and other delineators to break up your profile.
  • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.

You may also find these articles helpful:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, 

Thank you for helping new freelancers on Upwork. 

Would you mind having a look at my profile? I think I'm on the right path and I'd love to get a rising talent badge. 

Looking forward to your suggestions! 

Thanks a ton!

Jesica

Hi Jesica,

Thanks for your message. You're on the right path! Keep working on submitting proposals to job posts that are relevant to your skills. Here are some articles you might find helpful:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
harisirfan34
Community Member

Hi Mike, can you check my profile too? I will appreciate it. Thanks

Hi Haris,

Your profile is off to a great start. One thing I suggest is adding a portfolio. When leveraged creatively, they can be a great asset even for those in non-visual mediums. Check out this article: 4 Ways to Create a More Successful Freelancer Portfolio

Cheers,
Mike
macherla-manasa
Community Member

Spoiler
That was a good aricle and information to all .
can you help me in building my profile and how to submit eyecatching proposal.
I have submitted so many proposals but cant get one even.
can you help me please.

Hi Manasa,

Your profile is set to Private. Please change the visibility if you would like suggestions from myself or others.

Cheers,
Mike
matifrehan
Community Member

Hello Mike, Glad to read about your interest to help new Freelancers like me. I would be thankful to you if you can help me build my profile, Please reply me so that i can share my profile with you for review.

Thank you.

Muhammad **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Muhammad Atif,

Your profile looks good! Here are some articles I think you'll find helpful:

Cheers,
Mike
gracerking
Community Member

Hi! I'm new to Upwork.

I'm putting together a video introduction for my profile and just want to make sure that I don't violate Upwork policies. I'm assuming I am not allowed to link to any social media accounts. Am I allowed to include my first and last name? 

Thanks!

Hi Miriam,

If your last name it's included on the video it's okay but please note that you can't link any social media account or contact information in it. Also, if you and your client connect on Upwork, should also keep all communication on the platform until a contract starts. You can check this help article to learn more. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
65dd1a84
Community Member

Hi Please could someone give me feedback on my Overview and my Profile 

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Emmanuel, 

Thanks for your message. Your profile is off to a good start. Here are some articles that might interest you:

Cheers,
Mike
fawzypeter
Community Member

Dear Mike.
I am Peter from Canada and new freelancer.

I just read your article and thanks for your kindness to help new Freelancers like me.

Could you please review my profile, everything is okay?

And please give me your suggestion about my profile.

Thanks.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

Also keep in mind that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview

Cheers,
Mike
lexxybryan
Community Member

Thank you so much, I appreciate your post, it was really helpful.
273fe36d
Community Member

Thank you for being here! Sure enough my first 'win' wants to pay outside of upwork. At least that's what I understood. The next morning I saw your helpful article alerting me of 'warning signs'. I have posted an official reply to accept his verbal job offer - in the messages- to officially accept the position and list my rate of pay. He was informed that I will track my time using the upwork time tracker. I want to keep integrity with terms of service, Orientation is tomorrow 2pm EDT: is there anything else I need to do on my part?

Kelly J.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your message. The client must send you an offer through Upwork and then you would accept it. It is more than a verbal agreement or a written message. I have asked our Customer Support team to reach out to you with more assistance.

Cheers,
Mike
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths