🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for Getting Started on Upwork
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849
5c03ec80
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Very helpful post.

Thanks

khalidsaifulla18
Community Member

Hey Mike,

How are you?  Can you check my profile again? I fixed some issues after contracting you. Thanks in advance.

Hi Khalid,

Looks good!

Cheers,
Mike
3289b694
Community Member

Thanks Mike, I found your tips helpful and I made some corrections to my profile. Would you mind looking at it and point out areas I need to adjust, develop or subtract from my profile. I have also started sending out proposals an entry-level freelancer, do you have and winning tips on that too? 

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Arowoduye,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and it looks good. I did want to point out that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. I would suggest removing "Hey, welcome to my profile!" as it takes up valuable space without adding any value.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
amazonexpart
Community Member

Dear Mike J.

Your article is very helpful for new Upwork user. If you can help me build my profile, Please reply me so that i can share my profile with you for review.

Thanks.

Hi Osman,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and it is a little bit difficult to follow your experience and skills. The list of what services you offer is good. It might help to organize the paragraph portion into multiple smaller paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience.

Here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
arif_mahmud775
Community Member

Thanks for best advice
atlastinkering
Community Member

Thank you mike, the freelance environment is new to me but this article made it easier to approach. 

Thank you

mrizwanc42
Community Member

Hi mike could you review my profile. Need some assistance to make more better. I alsoguide me little how to send a good and winning purposal. Looking forward for your reply

Hi Muhammad Rizwan,

I took a look at your profile and have some suggestions.

• Your profile is only 90% complete. It must be 100% complete to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent or Top Rated. Check out this article for guidance on the multiple ways you can reach 100%.
  • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. As such, I would suggest removing "Hi, I am Muhammad Rizwan" as it is redundant and takes up precious space.
  • There are some punctionation and formatting issues in the first half of the Overview. I would suggest reviewing and adding additional bullets to help with formatting.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Mike

Is there anyone Who can review my profile and let me know why I am not getting Jobs?

Hi Muhammad Jawad,

Based on my review of your profile, here are some best practices to review:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

Consider the following when crafting the pitch:

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
  • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
  • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
  • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
  • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview. You can also request peer review of your profile by other freelancers in this thread.

Cheers,
Mike
sumaiyaahmed4
Community Member

Hi Mike, I am a new Upwork member it would be great to have some feedback on my profile so that I can make it 100% complete and have clients.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sumaiya,

I checked out your profile and have some ideas:

• Your profile is only 40% complete. It must be 100% complete to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent or Top Rated. Check out this article for guidance on the multiple ways you can reach 100%.
  • I notice you haven’t added any pieces to your portfolio. Your portfolio is one of the most important profile components that clients review. Our research shows that missing portfolio pieces can be a negative signal for clients. Consider adding a few relevant pieces. It might help in getting more profile views and high-quality job invites.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks, Mike, I will do that.

Hi Mike could you plz provide me some tips on how to get a client in Upwork as a begineer without having any work history to set in my profile? Most clients tend to hire people with a work history. So how can portray myself to clients if I don't have any working history?

Hi Sumaiya,

As I mentioned in my previous message, your profile is incomplete and you don't have a portfolio. Profile completion is required to qualify for any badges and a portfolio is essential for a graphic artist on Upwork. Take a look at my previous response and work on those items.

Cheers,
Mike
oktaviany
Community Member

Thanks for the tips.

I just start active on freelancing here, hopefully I can get success here.

yemisegun
Community Member

Hi mike, I'm new here, please can you be my mentor cos I don't know any at all. Thank you .

Hi Segun,

I took a look at your profile and have some ideas for improvement:

• Your profile is only 70% complete. It needs to be 100% complete to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. You can learn about the multiple ways to reach 100% here.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

Cheers,
Mike
5aa92c5b
Community Member

Hi! I’m new and just agreed to terms via messages on UpWork. I’m scared that I’m doing something wrong. Do not want to get scammed. The client has not sent me a contract yet. When I asked for one they said they preferred to pay me at the end of every month. They also asked if they could pay me by the minute. They are waiting for my reply on if paying me end of month is ok. What should I do?
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rebecca,

What the client is requesting would be a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. All payment must take place via an Upwork contract unless the opt-out fee is paid.

You can remind the client of the requirement to keep payments on Upwork or simply decline to proceed. I advise against starting any work until they have issued a contract through Upwork.

Cheers,
Mike

Well I believe she will pay us on UpWork, but she is wanting to do it all at once at the end of the month. Is this still a violation?
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rebecca,

This would be possible if the contract is set up as fixed price. Then she could release milestone payments at the end of the month. Hourly contracts are paid on a fixed schedule which cannot be changed.

I hope this clarifies.

Cheers,
Mike
magillani
Community Member

Hello Mike.

I have followed the guidelines and still couldn't have a single interview. Will you please help to identify the reason as well as will you please spare some time to check my profile.

Thanks

Ahmad

Hi Ahmad,

I took a look at your profile and noticed that it's most just a list. This can make it hard for clients to identify key information. It might help to add some information and organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list.

I also suggest you check out these articles:

Cheers,
Mike
odinakazz
Community Member

Hi,

I am a new Member, thanks a lot for these tips.

3f59ecfb
Community Member

Hi Mike,

I hope everything is going well.

I just submitted my Upwork profile and I know that I´m missing many things, so better to move forward.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Wish you the best,

Regards,

Mari

1e901300
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your help to all fellow mates.
Appreciated if you help me to kick start my first job by providing a feedback to my profile.

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen
razu55_wpexpert
Community Member

Hello Mike, Please Check my profile... and give me some advice,,, Thanks
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~011eeb09fc27abb4d9

Hi Razu,

Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

Cheers,
Mike
dd63c576
Community Member

Thanks Mike. 

I am commenting here as a Professional Architect so If any freelancer (Specially Architectural niche) seeks help may ask me and any client who needs Architect may invite me too. 

crooks_julianne
Community Member

Hi Mike, 

Great article. I am also new to Up work and would love some feedback on my profile as well.

Julianne

Hi Julianne,

Welcome! I took a look at your profile and have some ideas:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. As such, I would suggest removing the first two lines from your overview (the welcome message and statement that you'd love to work with them) as these take up valuable research and don't provide useful information.

Cheers,
Mike
a5a35ee7
Community Member

Hi Mike!

Tank you so much for reaching out to new freelancers like me. The tips you've provided are really helpful. I am so glad to find out that the Upwork Community and the Upwork staff/team are so helpful. I thank you again.

Mike, I would love to have your feedback on my profile and see where the changes are required and what all I can do to not just secure work, but to stand out. Thanks again. I look forward to recieving your valuable input.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Urooj,

Welcome! Your profile is not currently available as our team is waiting for some information from you. Please check your emails.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mark ! 

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, i have checked my mails and updated the information. Now I am good to go. Can you now please review my profile and help me build it so I can get contracts? I would be highly obliged and I really appreciate you taking out your time. Thanking in advance. 

Regards,

Urooj

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Urooj,

I reviewed your profile and here are my thoughts:

• Write your profile from the first person point-of-view, rather than third person ("Urooj Raja is an individual...")
  • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.

Cheers,
Mike
eeb8ac5a
Community Member

Hi Mike.

My name is Harold and I am a new freelancer on upwork.

I hope to get the Raising Talent badge. so I passed the Upwork readess test, completed profil(100%) and sent serveral proposals. But I can't get Rasing Talent badge.

I am not sure why i can't get it. How do i must for it?

f you can help me, i will thank you.

And then if you can review my profile, too...

Looking for your responce soon.

Thanks.

Harold

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths