🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for Getting Started on Upwork
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849

Thanks for the review, Mike.

61c29ae7
Community Member

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your interest to help new Freelancers like me. I am new to Upwork. I would be glad if you can help me build my Profile and Portfolio, Please reply to me so that I can share my profile with you for review. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Pronob

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pronob,

I see that you're already Top Rated, congratulations! One thing I noticed is that you start your profile with "Hello, I am Pronob."  The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. It's not necessary to include your name which is prominently displayed on your profile. A greeting ("Hello") is also unnecessary as you can make better use of that space.

Cheers,
Mike
nawaztaimoor
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for being out here to help new talent.

I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at my profile and tell me how I can improve it to be able to get more clients. 

Thank you in advance for your kind response. 

Taimoor

Hi Taimoor,

Congratulations on earning the Rising Talent badge! Your profile is off to a strong start. One addition you might consider is adding additional pieces to your portfolio. We've found that clients often like to see at least 4 portfolio entries.

Cheers,
Mike
rufaronyabako
Community Member

I have also realised that the manner in which we present the content in the profile, and the format of cover letters and technical proposals we submit, even the nature of jobs we choose to apply for,  has to be guided by the persona you are serving.

So it appears as if persona identification and analysis is also fundamental. 

designatedsamin
Community Member

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your words. It really helped me a lot.Can you please skim through my profile ? I have  submitted more than 10 projects that matches my skill, but still struggling to get one yet. Your phrase "Persistance is the key" motivates me anyways but i want to know is there anything wrong in my profile ? or is it normal to get the proposals accepted lately for the new ones like me?

Thanks.

Best Regards

AD Nan

Hi AD Nan,

It can be a little difficult to find old posts, but no worries. I took another look at your profile and here are my suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. In your opening sentences, you often speak in a generic way about your desires and goals. Instead, consider focusing on the services you offer and what end product you can deliver to clients.  
  • In general, the first paragraphs of your profile are dedicated to expressing that you are patient, offer on-time delivery, and other qualities that clients expect in talent. Consider revising the overview to focus more on the services you offer.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
designatedsamin
Community Member

Hey Mike,

Sorry may it might sounds ridiculous but you had replied me and suggested me in the comment section on how to improve more in this marketplace . But unfortunately i cant find how to see that reply again . Where is the option can you pls help me out ? :((( I have attested the previous comment of mine which you had replied to.

Regards,

AD Nan

hleroux
Community Member

Hi Mike, thank you for offering to help freelancers like myself.  Would you kindly take a look at my profile and make any suggestions. I am struggling to get noticed. I see that I haven't had any profile views in the last 7 days and I am not sure why that is. My visibility is turned on.

Thank you for your time.

Hannah

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hannah,

I took a look at your profile and it's off to a good start. I did notice the second sentence isn't a complete thought: "From building that website, writing copy, proofreading and editing to creating and managing social media content." I suggest taking another careful look at your profile. This might be the first "writing sample" clients see.

It's also important to know that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
2c9ef900
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your good initiative to help new freelancers like me.

1eba79bd
Community Member

Hi, Mike J, 
May You Please review my profile?

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jitender,

I have a few notes on your profile:

• Your profile is only 90% complete. It must be 100% complete to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated.
  • I notice you haven’t added any pieces to your portfolio. Your portfolio is one of the most important profile components that clients review. Our research shows that missing portfolio pieces can be a negative signal for clients. Consider adding a few relevant pieces. It might help in getting more profile views and high-quality job invites.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
Community Member

This was very helpful, Mike. Thanks. I'd like for you to review my profile so far and give me more tips for improvements. Regards.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dinneya,

Thanks for your message. I took a look at your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 
  • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
bed940c2
Community Member

Hi Mike J.

I am a new member of Upwork. I am trying to complete my profile 100%. However, I would be happy if you visit my account once and let me know what I can do more. And pray for me.

Thank you

Ismail Hosen

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ismail,

I think your profile is off to a good start. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike

Thank you so much!

3083c4de
Community Member

Hello Mike J, Thanks for your kindness to help new Freelancers like me. I would be glad if you can help me build my profile, Please reply to me so that I can share my profile with you for kind consideration.

Thank you.

Md Razaul. 

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md Razaul,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and noticed you only have one portfolio item. Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.

Cheers,
Mike
1386b570
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Well I have done all of that and desperately submit proposals, but it looks that this doesn't work at all for me. For a few months, I only got one response so far. I think this is another low price platform where everybody is looking for the cheapest option. The pattern could not be broken no matter what. It's kind of disappointing. 

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Val,

I'm sorry you haven't had a better experience. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
  • Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.

Cheers,
Mike
6fa7dd9c
Community Member

Hello! 

I would be glad if you could take a look at my profile and send me a feedback.

Thank you.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Camila,

I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile is only 90% complete. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. 

• Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

Cheers,
Mike
zainkamboh
Community Member

Hey Micke J, Thanks for this detailed article. I learned a lot of important notes from it.

Thanks and greetings,

Zain ul Abdeen

503a92f2
Community Member

Hey Mike J,

thanks a lot, i´m a new upwork freelancer member in the community and i think your post it's very helpful.

greetings.

Hiren Patel
0f38234a
Community Member

Good afternoon! Mike J.  I'm new to Opwork recently, I work in Graphic Design, retoucher, and can create simple animations, can you take a look at my profile and give some valuable advice on what's wrong?

Thank you for your attention

regards Azevs.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Azevs,

I reviewed your profile and here are some things I recommend you consider:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. Right now, you provide your name and your business motto. Consider revising this. Keep in mind that your name is displayed prominently on your profile and doesn't need to be included in the overview.

Cheers,
Mike
georgepaulin2019
Community Member

Thanks for the Tips, I could really use some help with my profile. Im new to upwork and really trying to understand the best stragaties for sucess.

Hi George,

I took a look at your profile. Here are some suggestions:

• Your profile is only 95% complete. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. 

• I notice you haven’t added any pieces to your portfolio. Your portfolio is one of the most important profile components that clients review. Our research shows that missing portfolio pieces can be a negative signal for clients. Consider adding a few relevant pieces. It might help in getting more profile views and high-quality job invites.

Currently, your website is listed in your profile overview; this is not allowed. Remember that it is against the Upwork Terms of Service to request or share contact information prior to the start of a contract, including in profiles, proposals, job postings, and invites. You may not share any of your personal contact information with another user on Upwork prior to starting a contract. This includes (but is not limited to) any handles, user names, or information that would enable a user to contact you on social media or another website or platform or application that includes a communications tool (Skype, Slack, or Wechat ID).

Cheers,
Mike
78552c17
Community Member

Hello Mike,

I have been on Upwork several months and still didn't get any job. My profile is 100% complete and I have sent over 90 proposals. Can you please look at my profile and share with me any tips and suggestions how can I get my first client ?

Thank you,
Tatjana

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tatjana,

I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. Currently, your first sentence is focused on timeliness, but clients assume that talent will complete their projects on time.
  • Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list.

Cheers,
Mike
5510af19
Community Member

Hey Mike J. Brother....

Thank you much for your great tips. Truly I have never gotten this type of authentic information. Take love brother Mike J.

d78f72c3
Community Member

Hello Mike, 

Thank you for sharing all the successful tips. I'm new to this community as well. I send out 2-5 proposals almost every day (not copy and paste from templet). Still haven't had my first job yet, do you have any suggestions? Please take a moment to review my profile. 

Thanks in advance.  

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chi Ian,

Thanks for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions. Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

You may also find these articles helpful:

Cheers,
Mike
m1mehta
Community Member

Hi Mike, I am new to Upwork, however, I was off to a good start as everything was going smoothly for me. Since the introduction of "Boost Proposal," I have had absolutely a dry run for 2 weeks now. I boost every proposal for 10-20 connects, but to no avail. 

Can you please take a review of my profile and suggest to me where I am doing wrong? I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

rockcy
Community Member

This is Awesome, Thanks.

f4d91305
Community Member

Afternoon Mike, I have a question when asked to message outisde of Upwork is that a scam? I have had maybe 3 or 4 proposals already but it scares me to go outside of upwork for further details on the job since we are told not to. PLEASE HELP! I have not had luck yet but remain hopeful any tips on how to improve my cover letters? 

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amalia,

Being asked to communicate outside Upwork does not necessarily mean it is a scam, but communicating outside of Upwork prior to a contract being in place is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. You should not communicate with clients off Upwork until you have a contract in place. There are options for audio and video calls built right into Upwork messages so there is no need to use other tools. Check out this post for tips on avoiding scams.

Cheers,
Mike
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths