Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
Mike J Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
221 of 241

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and your Overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
  • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
  • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
  • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
  • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

I hope this helps!

Best,
Mike J. | Jr. Program Manager, Talent Success
muhammadumer009
Usman K Member Since: Dec 22, 2020
222 of 241

Hello Mike,

I had been submitting proposals for more than two months. I change very often and added everything I learned from this forum. But I never get a single response from a client. Why does that mean if you don't have any past experience, you are not eligible for any work on Upwork. Kindly look into my profile **Edited for Community Guidelines** If you want I will be happy to share the proposals with you. 

Thanks for your consideration.

Kind Regards,

Usman Khan

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
223 of 241

Hi Usman.

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 
  • Your written English skills are good, but I did see a few minor errors. If you'd like to add extra polish, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

I hope this helps!

Best,
imaduddin78
Imad U Member Since: Jun 8, 2018
224 of 241

Dear Mike J.

I am glad to read your instructions and found it fruitfull. Indeed it will help me a lot as I am new to upwork freelancing. It will be more benefical for new one to be gudied through sample .

Thank you for your kind information.

Imad

23a2e4e3
Lambert A Member Since: Mar 19, 2021
225 of 241

Hello, Thanks for your information, i have a complete profile and i have submitted several proposals, no invite yet, no job. what else can i do?

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
226 of 241

Hi Lambert,

Thanks for your message. I suggest you review these articles:

Best,
leobrat
Lavenda A Member Since: Mar 26, 2021
227 of 241

Hey Mike,

May you please review my profile and advice me accordingly,

thanks in advance.

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
228 of 241

Hi Lavenda,

Thank you for your message. Your profile is off to a good start. You may find these articles helpful:

Best,
prachi_27
Prachi T Member Since: Jul 23, 2020
229 of 241

Hello Mike,

It is so kind to help New Freelancers like me. It would be pleased if you can check my profile and give me your valuable suggestions. 

Thank you.

Prachi

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
230 of 241

Hi Prachi,

Thank you for your message. You're off to a good start. One thing to note is that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview. 

Best,