Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
Mike J Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
21 of 248

Hi Sayyam,

Your profile is off to a good start, but I would suggest requesting peer feedback in this post.

Best,
Mike J. | Jr. Program Manager, Talent Success
mehediahmed4161
Md Rakib H Member Since: Jan 17, 2018
22 of 248

Hi Mike J, I want you to review my profile as well. And let me know if needs to fix any error you find.

Thanks

Rakib

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
23 of 248

Hi Rakib,

I have reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.).
  • Your written English skills are strong and you are easy to understand. However, I did see a few minor errors. If you'd like to add extra polish, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

I hope this helps!

Best,
muhammadumer009
Usman K Member Since: Dec 22, 2020
24 of 248

Hello Mike,

I need your help in setting profile and getting more jobs by proposals.

Regards,

Usman **Edited for Community Guidelines**

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
25 of 248

Hi Usman,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Best,
a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
26 of 248

Hi Mike, how much time have you spent as a freelance consultant and in what field? 

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
27 of 248

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your question! I've been a freelance translator since 2009 and have spent the last 2 years providing program support to Upwork's Talent Success team, specifically representing the needs of and advocating for freelancers.

Best,
jfeehan
John F Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
28 of 248

Mike: I am not exactly a newbie but I have a very relevant question. How do I know when a submitted proposal is still active? Many times I have had a very successful (at least to myself) interview and then I never hear from the potential client again. Is there a way that we can find out if the job is closed and that they have hired someone else? It would be very helpful if we know why we were not hired. Was it price? Was it time zone? etc. Currently I am 100% top rated.

Thank you for your help.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
29 of 248

John F wrote:

Mike: I am not exactly a newbie but I have a very relevant question. How do I know when a submitted proposal is still active? Many times I have had a very successful (at least to myself) interview and then I never hear from the potential client again. Is there a way that we can find out if the job is closed and that they have hired someone else? It would be very helpful if we know why we were not hired. Was it price? Was it time zone? etc. Currently I am 100% top rated.

Thank you for your help.

Hi John, just look under "Find work > Proposals" or follow this link. Closed jobs are archived.

jfeehan
John F Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
30 of 248

Thank you.