Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team

nicolelabor
Alexa L Member Since: Jun 2, 2021
311 of 327

Hi Mike, 

I am new to Upwork as a freelancer. Can you check my profie for review and some feedbacks? I actually also wanted to ask help in regards with sending proposals. Mind if you can help me in making a good proposal for a first timer? 

Best Regards, 

Alexa L.

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
Mike J Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
312 of 327

Hi Alexa,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 
  • It might help to organize your overview with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list.

You might also find these articles helpful, particularly those about proposals:

I hope this helps!

Best,
Mike J. | Jr. Program Manager, Talent Success
melissapatoir
Melissa P Member Since: Jun 4, 2021
313 of 327

Hi Mike, I am Melissa and I am new to the platform and I would like if you can review my profile and give me some tips to achieve success! Thank you!

hoanghuan12xd01
Hoang Huan N Member Since: Jun 7, 2021
314 of 327

Hi Mike,

Can you check my profile and recommend changes if any to win contracts. Please help me mike.

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
315 of 327

Hi Hoang,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and you're off to a good start. Your profile is well organized, but I do have some suggestions:

• "Designer" is misspelled in your title.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

I also recommend these articles about submitting proposals:

I hope this helps!

Best,
usman_klaviyo
Usman A Member Since: May 4, 2021
316 of 327
Hey Mike. Thanks for your tips. My profile was discovered 8 times in the 1st week and zero times in the past 4 weeks even though i am consistently applying to Jobs and also landed a Job by bringing an Outside client to Upwork. Can you plz look into this matter??
michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
317 of 327

Hi Usman,

Thank you for your message. I see you had 4 views on your profile last week. One of the keys is to have a really great profile so that it stands out in search results. Here are some suggestions based on my review of your profile:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Other examples of information you can include in your Overview are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview. 

I also recommend these articles:

I hope this helps!

Best,
8a99e06e
Gaurav C Member Since: Jun 13, 2021
318 of 327

Hi Mike,

I have landed my first job. But, I am not getting any invite or my proposals accepted after that job.  It would be of great help if you could provide me tips on getting my Upwork profile stand out and getting a rising talent badge. 

Regards,
Gaurav

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
319 of 327

Hi Gaurav,

Thank you for your message. Your profile is well-organized and off to a great start! One important thing I wanted to mention is that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. As such, I would suggest moving your "Why chose me?" section below the first paragraph ("I have 3+ years...") as that paragraph will be better for displaying in search results.

You may also find these articles helpful:

As for earning the Rising Talent badge, we look at a variety of factors when determining whether to award the badge. This includes client feedback, the overall strength of your profile upon submission, including prior experience and skills and your educational background, as well as the opportunities available in the market. To improve your chances of earning the badge, continue to submit proposals to job postings that are relevant to the skills listed on your profile.

I hope this helps! 

Best,
8a99e06e
Gaurav C Member Since: Jun 13, 2021
320 of 327

Thankyou Mike. You rock🤘

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS