Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
Mike J Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
331 of 400

Hi Hoang,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and you're off to a good start. Your profile is well organized, but I do have some suggestions:

• "Designer" is misspelled in your title.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

I also recommend these articles about submitting proposals:

I hope this helps!

Best,
Mike J. | Jr. Program Manager, Talent Success
usman_klaviyo
Usman A Member Since: May 4, 2021
332 of 400
Hey Mike. Thanks for your tips. My profile was discovered 8 times in the 1st week and zero times in the past 4 weeks even though i am consistently applying to Jobs and also landed a Job by bringing an Outside client to Upwork. Can you plz look into this matter??
michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
333 of 400

Hi Usman,

Thank you for your message. I see you had 4 views on your profile last week. One of the keys is to have a really great profile so that it stands out in search results. Here are some suggestions based on my review of your profile:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Other examples of information you can include in your Overview are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview. 

I also recommend these articles:

I hope this helps!

Best,
8a99e06e
Gaurav C Member Since: Jun 13, 2021
334 of 400

Hi Mike,

I have landed my first job. But, I am not getting any invite or my proposals accepted after that job.  It would be of great help if you could provide me tips on getting my Upwork profile stand out and getting a rising talent badge. 

Regards,
Gaurav

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
335 of 400

Hi Gaurav,

Thank you for your message. Your profile is well-organized and off to a great start! One important thing I wanted to mention is that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. As such, I would suggest moving your "Why chose me?" section below the first paragraph ("I have 3+ years...") as that paragraph will be better for displaying in search results.

You may also find these articles helpful:

As for earning the Rising Talent badge, we look at a variety of factors when determining whether to award the badge. This includes client feedback, the overall strength of your profile upon submission, including prior experience and skills and your educational background, as well as the opportunities available in the market. To improve your chances of earning the badge, continue to submit proposals to job postings that are relevant to the skills listed on your profile.

I hope this helps! 

Best,
8a99e06e
Gaurav C Member Since: Jun 13, 2021
336 of 400

Thankyou Mike. You rock🤘

Eve M Member Since: Jun 14, 2021
337 of 400

Hi Mike,

I am new to Upwork and I've been reading through the guidlines but I am confused and do not want to do something wrong.  On the page about submitting proposals it says something about offering a phone or video call, but I also see we are only supposed to communicate through Upwork?  Isn't that contradictory?

If a client accepts my proposal and wants me to do a tax return, what do I do next?  I assumed I'd use my own programs and email it to the client when done but after reading about only using Upwork, I do not know how to proceed.

My apologies if these questions are answered somewhere else.  I've been looking but have not found the answers.

Thanks for your help.

-Eve

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
338 of 400

Hi Eve,

Thank you for your message. You can make both phone and video calls directly through Upwork Messages from the browser.  This includes initiating Zoom Meetings! Check out this article about Voice and Video Calls. Using any of these methods directly through Upwork constitutes keeping communication on the site.

As for delivering the work, once the client sends you an offer and you accept, a contract is created. Once the contract is in place, you can communicate with the client outside of Upwork.

That said, if you decide on a fixed-price contract, there is the ability to deliver the finished work through Upwork. For more on that, take a look at this article about Getting Paid for Fixed-Price Contracts.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Eve M Member Since: Jun 14, 2021
339 of 400

Thanks for your reply.

carine_99
Carine Y Member Since: Jun 16, 2021
340 of 400
Hello. Thank you for your useful post.
I am a new freelancer and im sending proposals out, but nobody is noticing them and most people prefer freelancers who have performed other projects here.... and im afraid i’ll run out of connects at this rate.

Would you kindly give me some advice and review my profile?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS