Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
Mike J Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
81 of 247

Hi David,

Thanks for your message. I'd suggest posting here to get feedback from experienced freelancers, but I did review your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile should be written in the first person and reflect your individual skills. If you are operating as a team, please consider creating an agency account.
  • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list. Another idea is to use bullets and other delineators to break up your profile:

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Mike J. | Jr. Program Manager, Talent Success
hana-whitfield
Hana W Member Since: Dec 7, 2019
82 of 247

Thank you, Mike J.  Extremely helpful. I will continue to plug away ...

6c8bea05
Megan C Member Since: Sep 12, 2020
83 of 247

Hi Mike!  Thanks for this post.  I am just getting started and would love some feedback on my profile. 

One item I am stuck on is getting my profile to 100%.  It is missing a linked profile from other social media.  I don't have any of the accounts listed - can I link to LinkedIn?

Thanks for any help! 

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
84 of 247

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your message. There are a number of ways to reach 100% profile completion. Please review this article for more information.

Your profile is off to a great start. If you haven't already, check out these tips for writing a great Overview. You might also consider asking for peer review here.

Best,
ljmodonnell
William O Member Since: Sep 19, 2020
85 of 247

Mike, I think your website has lots of potential, especially for someone like me with lots of experience with CAD and design.  But I am not comfortable with taking a picture and uploading it on anyone's server.  Is there any way I can identify myself other that basically allowing anyone to steal my identity?

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
86 of 247

Hi William,

Thank you for your message. Upwork stores your information securely. A profile picture is required.

Best,
mikaelaraujo
Mikael d Member Since: Mar 3, 2018
87 of 247

Hi, how are you?

Awesome advises. Can you take a look at my profile, please? It will be glad receive any feedback regarding this.

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
88 of 247

Hi Mikael,

Thank you for your message. Congratulations on earning Top Rated Plus status! Your profile is off to a good start. Keep in mind that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.

If you haven't already, consider posting here to get feedback from other freelancers.

Best,
hassene_haddad
Hassene H Member Since: Sep 13, 2020
89 of 247
Hello,

I hope you're doing great.

I have joined upwork a bit over a year now but haven't been active on it until recently.
I did set up my profile and I got a couple clients.

I am not getting interviews or jobs as much as I would want to get. I can't help but wonder about the reason.
So I wanted to kindly see if you'll be willing to have a look at my profile and let me know if it's well setup or needs some tweaks. I'd highly appreciate it.

Here is a link:
https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/~010c325b6e7c405cbe/

Thanks.
Cordially.
michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
90 of 247

Hi Hassene,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
  • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
  • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
  • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
  • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Best,
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS