Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 77

@Carrie H wrote:

I am just finding this now. I have been on this site for a month and have had conversations that are all scams or are fishy more than legitimate conversations (I've had two of those to about 4-5 scam or unprofessional correspondences). Please tell me there's decent work to be found for writers and editors; otherwise, I'm going to delete my profile. Frustrating to waste time on people with no real interest in hiring you. I think this information needs to be more prominently displayed. This is a huge community and I think they target newbies with no job history on Upwork. (that's me) in order to get us hooked. 

Carrie, some time ago, I and others urged (more than once) that this post be made more prominent. Of course, nothing was done. I think it is a question of hierarchy within the company. Upwork employees' feelings get hurt at the expense of new freelancers.

Royce F Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
12 of 77

I realize I am replying to an old post, but I think you are right about scammers targeting "newbies".  There are good jobs on Upwork. I've been on Upwork for more than a year.  I haven't had a scam request in some time, and the work load has steadily increased.  I think it was a month or two before I got my first contract. 

I have found that I have to actively work to get new work.  I pay for the "Pro" service so I have lot's of connects.  I don't use them all, but I use a lot of them.  Some of the proposals are a waste of time, and I think I've gotten better at spotting "tire kickers" who don't have a clue as to what they are wanting, or what it is likely to cost, but I consider it just part of "sales".  (I track the time I spend on sales and marketing.)  And I consider the Upwork fee a part of "marketing".  It is reasonable for me, but then I have had several projects where the total was high enough to see major drops in the fee.)

If you see this, I would be interested in knowing how it is going for you now, as it has been almost a year since your post.

Rae C Member Since: Aug 9, 2017
13 of 77

Hello, I just saw this, but only AFTER I had been scammed. This would be amazing if it were emailed to new freelancers who have just signed up or, as Nichola said, posted in a more visible area. Is it because you are afraid of advertising that people can get scammed on Upwork to new freelancers? 

Katie M Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
14 of 77

Perhaps a post that documents known scams so, list names like CJINK so that when new people come along, they can go to the post and just double check if the company they are being referred to has exhibited fraudulent behaviour.

I'm only a newbie but did a lot of research before I started, and thankfully I did. I can only imagine how many people have fallen for their "buy the workstation".

I actually did a bit of research into their company and what the official CJINK website and what the people claiming to be from CJINK say are very different.

It instantly rang bells for me as they were asking me to buy their workstation and make a totally refundable payment to have access to the jobs.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
15 of 77

Katie, like I've mentioned previously (like in this thread here), a blacklist of names or similar is pointless, because scammers can read it too and they'll just use different names. They're already not using their own real name or company so it's no trouble to them to just change to a new name/company. Your second post with more general information about general things to avoid is a much better idea Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 77

When is Lena's post going to get official visibility?

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 77

It should be required reading, Nichola. I'm at the point where I feel like I need a template response directing people to it saved somewhere so I can just copy-paste...

Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
18 of 77

Why is this post not in the fixed-threads-section of the "freelancer" part of the forum? Meanwhile an estimated 25% of postings there are from newbies having been defrauded by one of the scams described by the OP.  

Edited to add: Ok, not all of them actually were defrauded. Luckily some were bright enough to dodge the bullets, but still these safety precautions need to be posted permanantly on top of the relavant sections of the forum i.e."Freelancers" mainly.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
19 of 77

@Gerald H wrote:

Why is this post not in the fixed-threads-section of the "freelancer" part of the forum? Meanwhile an estimated 25% of postings there are from newbies having been defrauded by one of the scams described by the OP.  

Edited to add: Ok, not all of them actually were defrauded. Luckily some were bright enough to dodge the bullets, but still these safety precautions need to be posted permanantly on top of the relavant sections of the forum i.e."Freelancers" mainly.

There is also a thread about this in the Freelancer Forum. This is the content area, where only very specific data is stored, and it's ONLY an educational area. That is to say, we can discuss, but only the Mods put posts here.

I should add that Upwork is fully aware of the number of scam posts that are being posted, and they are working on updates to the Forum even as I type this. We don't have an ETA yet on these big changes, but my fingers are crossed that it happens before the end of 2016 (the changes are complex beyond what you might belive).

Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
20 of 77

@Pandora H wrote:
There is also a thread about this in the Freelancer Forum. This is the content area, where only very specific data is stored, and it's ONLY an educational area. That is to say, we can discuss, but only the Mods put posts here. 
You probably mean the tread "Job warning signs". This one is so long, it is daunting to see these many pages. I doubt it looks very attractive to noobs to read this much. I think a short summary like the original post here should be there in the fixed section or somewhere above or be in a package that all noobs have to read before their profile gets approved.  Even a mandatory test covering this topic would make sense IMO. 

@Pandora H wrote:
I should add that Upwork is fully aware of the number of scam posts that are being posted, and they are working on updates to the Forum even as I type this. We don't have an ETA yet on these big changes, but my fingers are crossed that it happens before the end of 2016 (the changes are complex beyond what you might belive).
Good to read this. I sure hope for the best. Some effective measures against the spammers would sure add to the attractivity of this site. 
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS