Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
21 of 121

Hi Josephine,

I would just like to confirm, is the client asking you to send sample work? Please know that there has been an update to Upwork TOS, which you can read about in this announcementWe realize that some tools and services require the sharing of an email address to gain access. If you require access to a system before a contract starts, you may share your email address for the sole purpose of gaining access to a system. All communications, however, must still take place on the Upwork platform.

~ Joanne
Upwork
jo_juan
Josephine J Member Since: Jul 25, 2020
22 of 121
Thank you very much for your reply.
katiemillan
Katie M Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
23 of 121

Perhaps a post that documents known scams so, list names like CJINK so that when new people come along, they can go to the post and just double check if the company they are being referred to has exhibited fraudulent behaviour.

I'm only a newbie but did a lot of research before I started, and thankfully I did. I can only imagine how many people have fallen for their "buy the workstation".

I actually did a bit of research into their company and what the official CJINK website and what the people claiming to be from CJINK say are very different.

It instantly rang bells for me as they were asking me to buy their workstation and make a totally refundable payment to have access to the jobs.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
24 of 121

Katie, like I've mentioned previously (like in this thread here), a blacklist of names or similar is pointless, because scammers can read it too and they'll just use different names. They're already not using their own real name or company so it's no trouble to them to just change to a new name/company. Your second post with more general information about general things to avoid is a much better idea Smiley Happy

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
25 of 121

When is Lena's post going to get official visibility?

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
26 of 121

It should be required reading, Nichola. I'm at the point where I feel like I need a template response directing people to it saved somewhere so I can just copy-paste...

krista40
Krista J Member Since: May 25, 2021
27 of 121

How do I report a suspicious offer? I see a link to go to Customer Support but that only leads me to this community. This 'company' said they intend to work with me off of Upwork and they pay through check or bank transfer. I told them I only wanted to work through Upwork and they agreed. Then I noticed they did not have a verified billing method. When I told them the non-verified billing method disqualified me for Upwork's Hourly Protection they said 'goodbye'. I am new and this was my first offer.

gaspardjack
Community Leader
Mohammed G Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
28 of 121

You can report them through the Job posting page (Flag as inappropriate) or the Messages center (Gear button> Report message)

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063118-Report-Suspicious-User-Activity

This 'company' said they intend to work with me off of Upwork and they pay through check

It's a scam!

krista40
Krista J Member Since: May 25, 2021
29 of 121

Thank you Mohammed. I appreciate the specific instructions and was able to see the 'flag' button on the job description. Is it good policy to only apply for jobs that have verified payment?

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
30 of 121

Hi Krista,

Mohammed is correct. By flagging the job, our team can review and take appropriate actions. Please also check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

I'd like to note that receiving and paying outside of Upwork is a violation of Upwork TOS. All payments should be done on Upwork only. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS