cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
61 of 78

Hi Chloe,

The job you are referring to has already been closed and actions taken against the client's account because they were in violation of Upwork ToS. Please, don't communicate with them any further. Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Tiffani M Member Since: Aug 15, 2017
62 of 78

This was so helpful thank you very much! Smiley Very Happy

Community Leader
Sagar S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
63 of 78

Thank U Lena for such a post. I personally experienced point no 1,3,4 and 5 in my Upwork career. I believe this post can be a great help who are new in Upwork or who has a little experience.

Good jod!

Stephen V Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
64 of 78

Doesn't mention when clients ask you to list their goods on our ebay account. I nearly fell for this one. Thanks to the community board, I realised it was a scam.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
65 of 78

re: "Doesn't mention when clients ask you to list their goods on our ebay account."

Always a good tip, Stephen.

There are real clients who need help with email, Facebook, eBay, Craigslist, Twitter, various social sites, etc. But real jobs will always provide you with authorized access to the client's account(s).

If a client on Upwork asks you to use YOUR OWN account in order to do a job for them, then it is a scam and in most cases it is explicitly prohibited by Upwork ToS.

Linda R Member Since: Jan 12, 2018
66 of 78

Thank you for posting this information. I only joined last week and am reading this information. I did submit a proposal for an ideal job that presented as an actual 'job'. Although, I'm not interested in a job, I would like to perform the work. The information presented offered benefits as well. 

Is it correct to assume that 'jobs' are not supposed to be posted on Upworks, but only freelance opportunities?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
67 of 78

re: "Is it correct to assume that 'jobs' are not supposed to be posted on Upworks, but only freelance opportunities?"

Well, we're getting into semantics here. But basically, yes, you are correct.

Clients do not post "help wanted" ads seeking to hire people for full-time employment as employees.

Clients post "freelance opportunities."

But Upwork often uses the word "jobs" to refer to these "freelancer opportunities."

So if you were to say Upwork "jobs" are not allowed to be posted, you would be correct.

And if you said Upwork allows "jobs" to be posted, you would also be correct.

It depends on what you mean by "jobs."

Rachel K Member Since: Mar 29, 2018
68 of 78

Thanks for the post. I am new to Upwork(a week old) and just received possible 2 scams already. One was a request to submit a proposal for a possible interview and the other was a request for an interview but using Google Hangouts. I thought that was a little suspicious plus the other one I haven't heard back from for 5 days and they wanted someone ASAP.  Thanks again.

Witur S Member Since: Mar 8, 2018
69 of 78

Thanks Lena,

I have just experienced, give examples 2 times in a row OMG .... I just realized that my prospective client has unfairly treated me. Next I will be more alert.

Thank you

Love Ann D Member Since: Jun 12, 2018
70 of 78

This is definitely an important article worth saving!  THANKS!

Love Ann Dougherty
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS