cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Highlighted
Hunter T Member Since: Apr 2, 2020
91 of 97

I just got scammed today. It was my first proposal ever on this site and it was a scam. Really sad people do this...

Here is their information so you can avoid it.

**edited for Community Guidelines** Is the phone number they have tried calling me on after I blocked them only to hang up once answered.

This is the email they used to contact me with job details **edited for Community Guidelines**

Name used:**edited for Community Guidelines**

They offered to send me a check in which I would buy office supplies with. Once I noticed this was a scam I reported them and they were removed. I told them they are a scam and they denied it multiple times. DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! Never take conversations outside of this platform. I have never used it so I was completely unaware how this worked...so now I know. Do your research, don’t give any information out over google hangouts.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
92 of 97

Hi Hunter, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience in Upwork and thank you for sharing this with the Community. I wanted to note that I had to edit your post because we do not allow posting identifying information here in the Community.  Just the same, I'm glad to know that you were able to identify the red flag, and reported the client to the team. 

Let me know if we can assist you with anything!

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Hunter T Member Since: Apr 2, 2020
93 of 97
Unfortunately I never got my credits back for both of the job postings that were deleted due to not following your guidelines. Can you please check to make sure they are refunded?

Thanks!
Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
94 of 97

Hi Hunter, 

I checked your account and I can see that the Connects have already been refunded to you. You can check your Connects History page by going to your Membership & Connects page (Settings > Membership & Connects), and clicking on the "View Connects History" button. 

If you are referring to a different job post, please let me know so that I can look into this further.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Margaret C Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
95 of 97

This is a very informative and helpful article, but the suggestion to contact customer support at the end is of no use... you can't ever get to a person, and as a freelancer which is having a cut taken by Upwork, we should have a great source for customer service... forums are great, and expert users are great... but sometimes we want to talk to someone within the company, and that seems to have evaporated.  At the very best, it's nearly impossible to find.  It's disheartening, because I worked with Upwork years ago, had a great experience - no scams, and readily accessible support (and they answered your messages, which hasn't been the case for me since I've come back to the business), and I recently came back to Upwork to find I don't have that security at all.  

Highlighted
Grehys G Member Since: Apr 28, 2020
96 of 97

Thanks for writing these tips. I came from reading a message that wrote a client and asked me to send him a copy of my passport and my CV. I'm new on the platform and that was my first offer. I'm going to reject the offer Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Aladin M Member Since: May 5, 2020
97 of 97

Hi, Yeah this was quite helpful especially for newbies like me who are eagerly trying to land a client.