cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Highlighted
Susan O Member Since: Aug 3, 2020
101 of 103

I wish I'd known all this earlier! I have had two online interviews (Skype) with the exact same language, assessment and "opt out of paid fee."

What has been compromised if this is a scam? They did ask for the name of my bank, but that's all.

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
102 of 103

Hi Susan,

I'm sorry to hear about that. I checked the jobs you are referring to and it looks like they have already been canceled for violating Upwork TOS. You'll notice that the Message room with the clients has also been archived. Apart from recommending this thread for tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, you may also want to check this help article for information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Arsalan A Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
103 of 103

I just kudos ! for this
"Free Work: This happens when you’re asked to submit work before a milestone has been funded, or you’re requested to do the job as a “sample.” If a client requests a sample project it should be paid. Avoid this by never starting work before the official contract start date and the first milestone is funded.  This is different than asking for samples of your past work or other questions intended to vet your skills before engaging you."