Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
31 of 76

@hanan a wrote:

Hello !

I am new to upwork and I am so dsparate to find a job , if I got an invitation to an interview how do I kow if its a scam or not ? 

And if I sen you te email can you know ?

Thank you 

Careful with desperation. That's what they play on. Be smart even if you're desperate. Selling random stuff on ebay is better when you're desperate.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
32 of 76

Hi Hanan,

The most recent invite you received does look like the common Google Hangout scam Lena described in her post. The team will review the job and take actions as needed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
33 of 76

Valeria, you may want to pin this post at the top of this forum so it's easy to see by everyone.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
34 of 76

Rene, the link to this thread is included in the list of resources for new users pinned at the top of the New to Upwork forum currently.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Simone R Member Since: Nov 13, 2016
35 of 76
  • Check-cashing fraud: This happens when someone asks you to process PayPal payments, or request favors to cash or deposit checks and money orders in order to send the money somewhere else. These checks or money orders are likely fraudulent and your bank can hold you liable for the funds, even if you have already sent the money on to the “client”.

Today I found an announcemnt of a person looking for someone to pay for fb boosts on their posts. This person/company decide to invest, let's say, 100$ to boost a post, so they give you 100$ for the boost +10% as the payment and are willing to do that because facebook doesn't recognize their country's credit cards. Since boosting fb posts is definitely not a fraud, do you believe this request is legit?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
36 of 76

Hi Simone,

While the job sounds suspicious, please flag the job post so our team could review it and check if its in line with Upwork ToS. Note that based on the job post details you mentioned, this job is not related to the scam you noted at the beginning of your post.

Shweta V Member Since: Dec 9, 2016
37 of 76

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This one is trying to scam me...its fake, and asking for $650 - 

she is **Edited for Community Guidelines**, please block this client immediately. thanks 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
38 of 76

Shweta,

You should flag the job as inappropriate. Do not have anything more to do with this client and also report the job to customer support with the appropriate url and proof that the client has demanded money, which is against Upwork's ToS: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Shweta V Member Since: Dec 9, 2016
39 of 76

I have already marked inappropriate to client, though other complaint chennals, I could not find..please give me a link

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Your G1 Time Tracker will cost you $650.

I believe you can handle the cost of your G1 Automated Time Tracker ?

40 of 76

Hi Shweta,

Thanks for flagging this job. I'll also follow up with the team and they will review and take actions as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS