cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Marisa R Member Since: Apr 14, 2017
41 of 76

Hi Valeria, 

How do you flag a job where they are asking you to add to Google Hangouts ASAP? I understand that while people like to use other tools to do interviews once contact is established, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to add a person to hangouts for having an instant message conversation. While they are not giving their contact info in the job description itself, I have been flagging for providing contact information because the posters have been in the invite in what looks like an attempt to "hurry" folks off of Upwork. 

This really concerns me because I've had about 10 invites in the last week that were like this. Do you think the developers may want to add to the Flag Job options one that indicates "innappropriate invite contact", or even the ability to flag the invite itself? 

Those are just my thoughts. Let me know what you think and if you think I am handling this properly. I don't want you to think I'm just randomly flagging without cause. Smiley Happy

Many thanks, 

Marisa 

Edith T Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
42 of 76

Thanks, Lena for the tips.  

See I'm not the only one.  I will heed your 

guidance in the future.

Renata M Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
43 of 76

Hi Lena,

Reading the reports of colleagues on this subject is not very inviting for those who just signed up for the site like me, but I could not have read at a better time. In fact, my concern is not to notice these scams in the first moments because I am not a native speaker, and have some difficulty with the language. This already brings me a certain insecurity, but I believe that everything will go well if I continue to inform myself with great articles like yours and the reported cases. I'll stay connected!

I really need to make UPWORK work for me, since the economic and political situation here in Brazil is collapsing, and my work here is not giving much at this time. So any help or advice will always be very welcome!

Thank you very much for the article, and I wish you all the best!

Re

Ava M Member Since: Mar 29, 2017
44 of 76

I went off site to Google Hangout because I got an email from **Edited for Community Guidelines** from Upworks telling me to.  I think this network is more sophisticated than most people realize.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
45 of 76

Hi Ava,

Please, see my reply to your post on this thread. While it's not against the ToS to communicate with clients outside of Upwork, you may be wary of clients who try to move the conversation to Google Hangouts right away. Also, all the payments need to go through Upwork, so if a client offers to pay off of the platform for any reasons, please flag them.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Noro Mahefa R Member Since: Apr 28, 2017
46 of 76
Thanks for the instructions. One question : shouldn't we give our e mail address when writing à cover letter ? How the clients contact us ?
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
47 of 76

Hi Noro,

Clients have the option to respond to your proposal, in which case you'd receive a notification and a new message room will be created to accommodate your conversation. While you're free to share your direct contact details in a proposal, we strongly advise freelancer to communicate with prospective clients through Messages for at least the initial stages of the interview process.

Please review the freelancer resources we compiled here in order to use the platform and work successfully on Upwork.

Dennell S Member Since: May 10, 2017
48 of 76

Thank you for this message because I just signed up and immediately got attacked.

Scary!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
49 of 76

We're sorry that you had a bad experience, Dennell. If you haven't already, please report your client by flagging his job post as inapproriate so that actions can be taken against his account.

-Avery
Untitled
Tiffany D Member Since: May 31, 2017
50 of 76

I just received an "invitation to interview" with a client that also wanted me to connect with them on Google Hangouts. The problem is, I didn't submit a proposal with them. It looks as though the job posting has already been flagged, but as I'm just starting out, how can I be sure?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS