cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
51 of 77

You can check the job with customer services, but as you are new, you can be 99.9% certain that it will be a scam if they ask you to Google hangouts. You can answer the invitation too. You are not committing yourself to anything, but if they ask you to buy software, or cash a cheque, you can simply block them and report them. 

Some bona fide clients do use it, but generally after a good working relationship has been  established beteen client and freelancer.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
52 of 77

Don't waste time with Google Hangouts invites.

If you see that, just block the "client".

Augustine M Member Since: Jun 6, 2017
53 of 77

Hi Lena, thanks alot for this rich info. i think i was duped to do a sample work as part of interview by this client **Edited for Community Guidelines**. i wish i had read this article. especially point three. anyway thank you for opening my eye. i now feel more wiser.

Chloe C Member Since: Jul 25, 2017
54 of 77

I need help, I'm not sure if I'm being scammed! 

Here is my situation:

I recently got contacted by someone at upwork for a graphic design job. They wanted to "interview" me over google hangout chat, which I thought was odd. The job that they want me to do sounds too good to be true, is not the graphic design job I originally thought, and they aren't going through upwork. I'm a little bit concerned that this is a scam. I don't know how, and it seems legit, but some red flags are popping up in my mind. Can someone please help me/contact me about this?

55 of 77

I recently got contacted by someone at upwork for a graphic design job. They wanted to "interview" me over google hangout chat, which I thought was odd, but it was my first contact through upwork so I said ok. The job that they want me to do sounds too good to be true, is not the graphic design job I originally thought, and they aren't going through upwork. I'm a little bit concerned that this is a scam. I don't know how, and it seems legit, but some red flags are popping up in my mind. Can someone please help me/contact me about this?

Jess G Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
56 of 77

The interview over Google Hangout isn't in and of itself odd - I myself have had successful jobs that required an interview over Google Hangout. Now if it sounds too good to be true, there is a decent chance that it is. Also, if it's not the job you originally thought, that's a red flag. Lastly, the fact that they do not want to go through upwork is almost certainly a sign of a scam - if they don't want to use upwork, then why are they looking for freelancers on it? I would tell them that you will not work outside of upwork, and ask them why they do not want to use the platform. 

57 of 77

It wasn't over google hangouts video call, it was over the chat option. So basically it was like texting back and forth, which is why I thought it was odd. They also want to send me a check to deposit into my account to buy software they want me to use... I don't know it just seems iffy! Someone help!

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
58 of 77

It is iffy, report it and move on. Or just move on. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Leader
Abderrazzak B Member Since: Mar 23, 2017
59 of 77

Don't do it 100000% a scam, they will offer a Laptop (sent to home), high hourly rate (~40$ or so/hour). but require some check to deposit into your account... similar friends here reported this last weeks, don't give them anything RUN RUN RUN

PS: they only send such invitaions to newbies...

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
60 of 77

Hi Chloe,

The job you are referring to has already been closed and actions taken against the client's account because they were in violation of Upwork ToS. Please, don't communicate with them any further. Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS