🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Transcription Samples
Page options
eridle
Community Member

Transcription Samples

Hello there! I am very new to Upwork, and I've been perusing the community for information on getting started. I do transcription work. I've read, and I agree, that it's important to supply samples of your work in your proposals and your profile in order to increase your chances of landing a job. But with transcription, how do I portray a sample of my work? Just with a writing sample, or some way of exhibiting my 90-100 WPM typing skills?

Any suggestions would be welcome! 

Beth

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can upload anything you want to your portfolio as long as it reflects you own work and you own the rights to it.

Your portfolio pieces do NOT need to be paid work. They do NOT need to be work that you did as an Upwork project.

You could post audio files, or links to audio files, along with a written document (such as a PDF file) showing your transcription work. You don't necessarily need to include audio files or links to audio files with every portfolio piece. The written part alone would go a long way toward demonstrating what you can do.

You could post a link to a public domain YouTube video that you transcribe.

You could post transcriptions that you have done in the past that you obtain permission from clients to post.

You could make up a transcription out of your imagination, that demonstrates the way that you type and organize data.

You could make an audio recording of a demonstration conversation that you yourself organize among friends of family members, and then transcribe that.

In any of your portfolio pieces, you could include statistics such as the length of the audio or video file, and the amount of time it took you to create the transcription.

You could also include "case studies" which are written descriptions of projects or tasks that demonstrate your skill and professionalism. A portfolio piece could be a couple of paragraphs that explain you were hired to transcribe an important bilateral meeting between two trade partners, and the written transcriptions needed to be completed overnight during the trade conference, and one of the delegates had a persistent cough and wore a muffle mask while speaking, etc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can upload anything you want to your portfolio as long as it reflects you own work and you own the rights to it.

Your portfolio pieces do NOT need to be paid work. They do NOT need to be work that you did as an Upwork project.

You could post audio files, or links to audio files, along with a written document (such as a PDF file) showing your transcription work. You don't necessarily need to include audio files or links to audio files with every portfolio piece. The written part alone would go a long way toward demonstrating what you can do.

You could post a link to a public domain YouTube video that you transcribe.

You could post transcriptions that you have done in the past that you obtain permission from clients to post.

You could make up a transcription out of your imagination, that demonstrates the way that you type and organize data.

You could make an audio recording of a demonstration conversation that you yourself organize among friends of family members, and then transcribe that.

In any of your portfolio pieces, you could include statistics such as the length of the audio or video file, and the amount of time it took you to create the transcription.

You could also include "case studies" which are written descriptions of projects or tasks that demonstrate your skill and professionalism. A portfolio piece could be a couple of paragraphs that explain you were hired to transcribe an important bilateral meeting between two trade partners, and the written transcriptions needed to be completed overnight during the trade conference, and one of the delegates had a persistent cough and wore a muffle mask while speaking, etc.

Those are all very good suggestions! Unfortunately, the other freelance company I work for requires an NDA, so no sharing of audio or written materials allowed. But I could organize an audio file of my own creation and then transcribe it. That would at least showcase a writing sample and evidence of grammar and spelling proficiency.

Thank you for the assistance!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths