🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Translation
Page options
a3a84e33
Community Member

Translation

Hi, I have some questions.
I hired a translator on upwork. The translator had previously been contacted by me through mail and told me to go on upwork and deposit 190$. She also told me she needed 9-12 days to make the translation. 7 days have passed. She does not answer to mails and messages. What to do if on the 12th day the translation is not completed and she does not answer? Can I hire someone else on that same day and refuse to pay her if she comes on day 14th with translation completed? She told me 9-12 days before hiring her, but I deleted the mail. Plus on upwork it is not written the day on which the work must be completed.
Thank you.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Piergiorgio,

Sorry to hear you haven't heard back from your freelancer recently. We do recommend that you discuss all terms, deadlines and expectations with the freelancer before starting the contract. Generally, contracts are more successful when all terms are outlined in the beginning and then both parties follow the outlined terms.

If you don't receive work from the freelancer by the agreed deadline, you can close the contract and request a refund from Escrow. Check out this help article for more information about that. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Piergiorgio,

Sorry to hear you haven't heard back from your freelancer recently. We do recommend that you discuss all terms, deadlines and expectations with the freelancer before starting the contract. Generally, contracts are more successful when all terms are outlined in the beginning and then both parties follow the outlined terms.

If you don't receive work from the freelancer by the agreed deadline, you can close the contract and request a refund from Escrow. Check out this help article for more information about that. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

I am a translator Do I really appreciate that serve thee

I am good translator 

I also know the work of translation, I do translation of every language

Waseem akhtar

Language Translation Gmail Creating YouTube Video Watching E All I Know

Waseem akhtar

Ok I am tryy best and done my work at time

prestonhunter
Community Member

The way the Upwork user interface works... No "due date" is actually utilized. Due dates are just for you and the freelancer to look at, for reference.

You could hire a freelancer and then close the contract after 14 days. Or 12 days. Or 30 days.

Or the very next day.

Either way, the same thing will happen:

You will be asked to:

a) release the money in escrow to the freelancer (in which case, you can immediately close the contract)

[or]

b) request a refund (which requires the freelancer's approval)

If you request a refund and the freelancer does NOTHING, then eventually you will get the money back.

If the freelancer AGREES to the refund, you will get the money back.

If the freelancer says NO, then it is a dispute, and you don't necessarily get the money back.

colettelewis
Community Member

@Piergiorgio L wrote:
Hi, I have some questions.
I hired a translator on upwork. The translator had previously been contacted by me through mail and told me to go on upwork and deposit 190$. She also told me she needed 9-12 days to make the translation. 7 days have passed. She does not answer to mails and messages. What to do if on the 12th day the translation is not completed and she does not answer? Can I hire someone else on that same day and refuse to pay her if she comes on day 14th with translation completed? She told me 9-12 days before hiring her, but I deleted the mail. Plus on upwork it is not written the day on which the work must be completed.
Thank you.

If you agreed to the 9-12-day turnaround time, then give your translator the benefit of the doubt and wait until this time is up. Why are you hassling her after one week? If she doesn't deliver within the agreed time, then you can discuss payment terms with her. 

You are free to hire whomever you want, whenever you want on Upwork, but if you find a freelancer on Upwork, you have to hire through Upwork. It seems to me that you tried to get the translator to work off site. 

I can't understand how there was no date on the deliverable if this was a fixed-rate job. 

ETA: The "deposit" is the amount agreed between freelancer and client  and it is paid into an Upwork escrow account until the work has been done and approved (by the client). When the work has been done and release of funds has been requested by the freelancer, the client releases the payment if they are satisfied with the work, and it is then paid into the freelancer's account. If you are not satisfied, you can ask the freelancer to correct the work, or dispute the payment. 

However, you are not there yet, as the agreed time is not yet up and the freelancer has not yet delivered the work. 

There are plenty of options open to you, if the freelancer disappears, or does not deliver. But give it a few more days. 

I have not found the translator on upwork, I found her on another site. She told me about the existence of upwork and asked me to hire her there.

@Piergiorgio L wrote:
I have not found the translator on upwork, I found her on another site. She told me about the existence of upwork and asked me to hire her there.

All sites of this sort have the same ToS about circumvention, so you should both be suspended  from Upwork for breaking the ToS of the other site. 

re: "All sites of this sort have the same ToS about circumvention, so you should both be suspended  from Upwork for breaking the ToS of the other site."

I don't think the original poster said anything about what kind of site she found the freelancer on.

It could have been a social media, such as Facebook. Or a blog. Or the freelancer's own personal website.

People have contacted me and asked me to work for them who initially saw my personal website. Or read about me in a news article.

So I don't necessarily think circumvention is a factor with the OP.

@Preston H wrote:

re: "All sites of this sort have the same ToS about circumvention, so you should both be suspended  from Upwork for breaking the ToS of the other site."

I don't think the original poster said anything about what kind of site she found the freelancer on.

It could have been a social media, such as Facebook. Or a blog. Or the freelancer's own personal website.

People have contacted me and asked me to work for them who initially saw my personal website. Or read about me in a news article.

So I don't necessarily think circumvention is a factor with the OP.

Touché - but I still think the OP is jumping the gun about complaining about a freelancer who has yet (and still has the time) to deliver. 

I don't know if this relates to the original poster's needs... but it is always possible to get something done quickly. A client just needs to specify what they need.

I have posted projects where I really didn't care if something was done quickly... Any time in the next month or so... And I said so.

Other times, I have posted jobs that I wanted done quickly. Or even immediately.

I have had deadlines that were within a day, or even within hours.

It's even easier to do that using hourly contracts.

The key is I always make it clear what I'm looking for. When I want a freelancer to start working immediately, then I say so and the job attracts freelancers who are looking for that kind of thing.

@Preston H wrote:

I don't know if this relates to the original poster's needs... but it is always possible to get something done quickly. A client just needs to specify what they need.

I have posted projects where I really didn't care if something was done quickly... Any time in the next month or so... And I said so.

Other times, I have posted jobs that I wanted done quickly. Or even immediately.

The key is I always make it clear what I'm looking for. When I want a freelancer to start working immediately, then I say so and the job attracts freelancers who are looking for that kind of thing.

Preston when it comes to translation, it is sometimes possible to get things done quickly, but very often it is not. It really does depend on the the sort of quality the client is looking for, the number of words involved, and the subject matter. Some 500-word translations could take less than an hour, or they could take a day. 

This has nothing to do with whether or not a job is fixed-rate or hourly. If the deliverable was in 12 days and the client starts hassling after a week, this only puts pressure on the translator and it is unprofessional. 

@Nichola L wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

Preston when it comes to translation, it is sometimes possible to get things done quickly, but very often it is not. It really does depend on the the sort of quality the client is looking for, the number of words involved, and the subject matter. Some 500-word translations could take less than an hour, or they could take a day. 

This has nothing to do with whether or not a job is fixed-rate or hourly. If the deliverable was in 12 days and the client starts hassling after a week, this only puts pressure on the translator and it is unprofessional. 

It is also a sure sign of this being a difficult client...

There are people giving interesting answers(thank you!) and others taking too many things for granted and talking about things they do not know. I have not put any pressure on the translator. I have not talked here about hiring another person before the 13th day. When I consider how much does a translation costs to me, it does not interest me to know which amount goes to the site and which to the translator, so I have not interest in circumventing the site. If the translator decides to become a member of a site instead of working alone and getting the whole sum, it is not something I care about.

Translator just replied. I got alarmed too early.

re: "There are people giving interesting answers... and others taking too many things for granted and talking about things they do not know."

LOL.

Don't take it personally.

We kind of just like to talk.

ec8b2c2d
Community Member

Well it's a matter of choice if you're Job more important then try another person

7f83e9e2
Community Member

I'm here

7c2e05fa
Community Member

I am good translate 

9dfdea2c
Community Member

It is futile to wait after the appointed day

Waseem akhtar
Latest Articles
Featured Topics