🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Travel Fees
Page options
samscheetz
Community Member

Travel Fees

I am new to Upwork and was wondering, as a freelancer, how to charge fees in addition to my hourly rate. For example, if a client wanted me to fly across the country and I wanted them to pay for it. Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joansands
Community Member

Samuel - It seems to me that you could always do a fixed-rate contract that could include travel costs & taking into account Upwork's fees.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

There is not a reasonable way to do it. UW requires every dollar the client pays you--for anything--to run through the platform and it takes its percentage. There's no way to handle "pass through" costs like travel, without somebody taking the hit for UW's cut.  (That's one reason most of us try to stay home. Also, it's OK if we forget to comb our hair.)

joansands
Community Member

Samuel - It seems to me that you could always do a fixed-rate contract that could include travel costs & taking into account Upwork's fees.

This seems like the easiest solution. Will do travel job for $XXXX. Will do remote job for $XX/hour. Thanks!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

A moderator can chime in here, but I see no reason you could not have the client pay for the airfare directly to the airline with no Upwork fee implications for you or the client.

Just as a client can buy software or hardware needed for you to perform work for them and not pay an override to Upwork for the price of that software or hardeware, the cost of a flight is income to the airline, not income to you.

But if you pay the airfare and the client reimburses you, there has been some indication on this board that Upwork expects that payment to you to go through Upwork's system, which means you either get reimbursed for less than you spent (due to Upwork's fees) or the client pays Upwork more than the airfare cost you (grossing the amount up so you net the same amount you spent), or some combination of the two.

Will L wrote:

A moderator can chime in here, but I see no reason you could not have the client pay for the airfare directly to the airline with no Upwork fee implications for you or the client.

Just as a client can buy software or hardware needed for you to perform work for them and not pay an override to Upwork for the price of that software or hardeware, the cost of a flight is income to the airline, not income to you.

But if you pay the airfare and the client reimburses you, there has been some indication on this board that Upwork expects that payment to you to go through Upwork's system, which means you either get reimbursed for less than you spent (due to Upwork's fees) or the client pays Upwork more than the airfare cost you (grossing the amount up so you net the same amount you spent), or some combination of the two.

The plane ticket and even the hotel room, too, are easy. It's ground transportation, meals, and incidentals that are problematic. Somebody smart enough to be worth the client's while to fly around the country can probably figure out how to cope. But for a newbie, it starts with understanding where UW stands.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Even if a client was eager to pay through Upwork, and pay extra to cover fees, or pay a fixed-price payment that covers travel... I would be skeptical. 

What if the payment method was stolen or fraudulent, and I end up on the hook for everything.

It is NORMAL for companies to book airfare and hotels. I would have the client’s travel secretary handle these things, along with booking me a rental car as well.

If I am getting paid well enough for the work, then absorbing some food cost fees is not a big deal. For example, if the client pays $70/day food per diem, and Upwork takes 20% of that, then I don’t really care.

Good point. I guess I'm not enirely sure what "normal" is for everyone. I would be fine with them booking travel expenses for me in most cases. BUT, what I have in mind is that I also have to figure out what to do with my kids which will vary depending on time of year and length of contract. If I had control of booking transportation then it would be easier. Some companies excel at moving people around, others not so much. 

Upwork isn't really designed for projects which require travel, at least not in my experience.

As others have said it opens the door to fraud.

It seems that this is true, UW is not designed for travel. But I do have a client who is asking and I trust them not to rip me off. I wouldnt do it for just anyone. 

Ever since I stopped considering business travel a great perk (a long time ago!), I have a different day rate for projects that involve overnight travel. 

Samuel S wrote:

Good point. I guess I'm not enirely sure what "normal" is for everyone. I would be fine with them booking travel expenses for me in most cases. BUT, what I have in mind is that I also have to figure out what to do with my kids which will vary depending on time of year and length of contract. If I had control of booking transportation then it would be easier. Some companies excel at moving people around, others not so much. 

I worked remotely (W2 employee) for a company that would occasionally bring the whole dept together. There were about 10 of us in the group. Once the dates were set (with some input from everyone), each employee selected the specific flights they wanted. The company's travel office then made all the reservations and paid directly for air fare, hotel and car rental. Per diem was paid directly to each employee.

Seems like you just need to talk to someone at the company and let them know what travel arrangements work best for you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths