🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Trouble signing in with the Desktop App
Page options
024de950
Community Member

Trouble signing in with the Desktop App

Hello,

I have downloaded the Desktop app and have attempted to sign in using my Google account which I have used to sign up with Upwork. But the sign-in hangs once I enter the password and just says it is "redirecting." I am on a Mac running system 10.14.6. What are my options for resolving this? I'm not able to find an area providing tech support and the chat bot offers limited options. 

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, it seems like things might be resolved. After I disassociated Google from my Upwork account I then logged into the app, but just using the email and password rather than the Google sign-in option. It worked. Then to experiment a bit I went back to the Upwork account and reconnected Google then logged out of the account.

I then relaunched Upwork in the MacBook browser signing in with Google, and I relaunched the Upwork app, this time not signing in with Google but with the email username and password. It worked! So the key all along may have been to use the email and password rather than Google sign-in with the Upwork app. Thank you for your help both Avery and Goran!

Paul

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Paul, 

Could you please try logging in to your Upwork account through a browser? Please go to your Connected Services page (Setting > Connected Services) and disassociate your Google account with your Upwork account. Once done, please try logging in to your app with your Upwork account credentials, and let us know if the issue persists.

~ Avery
Upwork
024de950
Community Member

Hi Avery,

I attempted to do what you explained and the Upwork network gave me this response: "By disconnecting, you will now use your Upwork ID, **Edited for Community Guidelines**, to log into Upwork." Please understand that I used Google to sign up for this Upwork account. So won't I be kicked off the network if I disconnect from Google now? Please advise.

Hi Paul,

No your profile will not be deleted in this case. You will still be able to log in with your username/email and password. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Okay, it seems like things might be resolved. After I disassociated Google from my Upwork account I then logged into the app, but just using the email and password rather than the Google sign-in option. It worked. Then to experiment a bit I went back to the Upwork account and reconnected Google then logged out of the account.

I then relaunched Upwork in the MacBook browser signing in with Google, and I relaunched the Upwork app, this time not signing in with Google but with the email username and password. It worked! So the key all along may have been to use the email and password rather than Google sign-in with the Upwork app. Thank you for your help both Avery and Goran!

Paul

b717a212
Community Member

I had the same problem with the Linux version of the app, and this solution worked. Disassociating Google allowed me to log in, but it's a lot of hoops to jump through.

In case it's useful, I have two-factor authentication enabled w/ Google.

1a4498b8
Community Member

Thankyou for you help, Avery. I was dealing witht the same problem and your solution worked!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries, Aziz. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need further help with anything. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Community Member

I cannot log in to the desktop app. It is frozen while redirecting. What can I do? Disconnect google account and reinstallation of the app does not work. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gvantsa, 

Could you please share the OS version you're experiencing this with so that we can assist you accordingly? Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi,

I cannot log in to the desktop app. It is frozen while redirecting. What can I do?

Disconnect google account and reinstallation of the app does not work. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths