🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Trying to Establish on Upwork
Page options
pacopac-sarah
Community Member

Trying to Establish on Upwork

I've been trying to establish a base here on Upwork, but I haven't successfully found a grove yet. I recently decided to try the premium service so I could submit more proposals, but I still haven't managed to find any work here.

Can anybody look at my profile and see if I need to freshen it up? I admit I haven't looked for freelancing work in a very long time, so I'm a bit outdated on how to do that but very willing to learn!

Also, do you think I should burn through all my proposal credits right away or should I space them out throughout the month? How long did it take for you to get started here? Any advice at all is welcomed. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sarah, 

Welcome to Upwork! I would suggest that you start by reading up on the resources we have compiled here. Hopefully, the tips on the threads, blog posts, and articles will help you get started on Upwork. Pay attention to the Safety First! section, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, as these will help you work safely on Upwork. 

You may also want to check out these articles (here, and here) from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork. 

Goodluck, Sarah!

~ Avery
Upwork
chris_bannu
Community Member

Hi Sarah,

I would add a portfolio to my profile if I was trying to get a job. I personally removed my portfolio, but I already have a fulltime gig here on Upwork, and I'm not looking for anything else atm, but if you're looking to get hired, a portfolio is a must have 🙂

Also, for $55/hour you definitely need to show something to your potential clients. Don't lose hope, and continue improving your profile and sending proposals, Upwork is an amazing platform to be a part of, and eventually the first client will break the ice, and if you receive a great rating, more will come.

Best of luck,

Chris

Sarah, here are two major problems:

Your profile title:

"Web Developer"

And your skills list:

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 8.43.45 AM.png

Which prompt me to ask:

Why bother?

There are a million people who do the same.

If you want to establish yourself, you need to offer me more. Something distinctive. Some reason why I should hire you (a person with ZERO Upwork work experience) instead of one of the million freelancers with extensive, proven Upwork job histories.

It is OKAY to be a web developer. But to succeed, you are going to need to show that you are not so GENERIC. You have some specific expertise or knowledge that sets you apart.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths