🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tutor who is hourly paid
Page options
fksayaci
Community Member

Tutor who is hourly paid

Hi,

I am a new freelancer at Upwork. I have got my first job, which is being a tutor to be paid hourly. We did our first session on Sunday. However, since I am new, I did not know what to do and I forgot to open time tracker. In this case, my earnings is 0 currently. What should I do? I tried to enter the time manually. Although the client allowed me to enter it, Upwork declined it.

In general, for future references, what should I do to get earnings? Let's assume that I am studying the material in advance before the actual session starts. Should I open the time tracker while I am studying it?

If you explain these steps in a basic level, I would be really grateful.

Thank you and kind regards,

Fikri Kucuksayacigil

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Fikri,

Unfortunately, since the freelancer review period for last Work Week has already ended, you won't be able to add hours to last Work Week. You can either add hours to current Work Week or ask your client to pay you a bonus. In the future, please consider using Upwork Desktop App to track your hours so you could benefit from Upwork Hourly Protection.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Fikri K wrote:

Hi,

I am a new freelancer at Upwork. I have got my first job, which is being a tutor to be paid hourly. We did our first session on Sunday. However, since I am new, I did not know what to do and I forgot to open time tracker. In this case, my earnings is 0 currently. What should I do? I tried to enter the time manually. Although the client allowed me to enter it, Upwork declined it.

In general, for future references, what should I do to get earnings? Let's assume that I am studying the material in advance before the actual session starts. Should I open the time tracker while I am studying it?

If you explain these steps in a basic level, I would be really grateful.

Thank you and kind regards,

Fikri Kucuksayacigil

When the client allows manual hours to be input, upwork can't disallow that, so please try again. 

Any content of your contract is between you and your client, you will have to find an agreement on how and if your preparatory work is paid for exclusively with him. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Correction:

Any content of your contract is between you and your client, you will have to find an agreement on how and if your preparatory work is paid for exclusively with him. 

Should read: Any content of your contract is between you and your client, you will have to find an agreement on how and if your preparatory work is accounted for exclusively with him. 

I was not meaning to imply payment could/should be outside of upwork. 

Thank you so much for your answer. I will keep your suggestions in mind.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Fikri,

Unfortunately, since the freelancer review period for last Work Week has already ended, you won't be able to add hours to last Work Week. You can either add hours to current Work Week or ask your client to pay you a bonus. In the future, please consider using Upwork Desktop App to track your hours so you could benefit from Upwork Hourly Protection.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you so much for your answer. I think I will enter the same hour this week. I will set up the desktop application in my computer.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Fikri:

This has been a valuable learning experience.

Now you know more about how to use Upwork hourly contracts properly.

Now you know that, if possible, you should always use the desktop Upwork time-tracker application to log your time.

If there are legitimate reasons why you can't do that, then you may use manual time. But you will log manual time immediately. You will not wait for hours or days after you do the work to log your time.

And you will now be aware of exactly when the Upwork work week ends for you. (It ends at a different time of day for all of us, depending on what time zone we are in, because it ends at midnight on Sunday UTC for everybody, simultaneously.)

You now know that when the Upwork work week ends is important, because you need to log any manual time for the week BEFORE the week ends.

Thank you so much for your answer. I did not know that weeks end and we are able to enter working hours manually for the pas weeks. As you said, this is a valuable learning experience.

ilyas2010
Community Member

This happens sometimes to me too. Ask your client to either allow

1) Manual Time or

2) pay you as Bonus or

3) setup fixed price job for unpaid amounts. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths