cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typist New to Upwork

charlotte-creech
Charlotte C Member Since: Nov 19, 2016
1 of 5

Hey everyone! I apologize for this being one of the many "new to upwork" posts on the discussion boards, but I am hoping to get some advice. I have been checking Upwork every day for about a month and applying for jobs to no avail. I have read that in the beginning, it's better to limit yourself to one niche, so I have picked typing/data entry jobs since I have a very fast typing speed. I feel like it's very difficult to stand out in a crowd when you are limiting yourself to something like that. There is not a lot of variety in typists, you know? I have played around with my profile, at first I had a detailed one listing specifics but now I have a more general one. I have taken tests, made sure that there are no errors in my overview and I also send customized cover letters to each job. I am just wondering if there are any other typists out there having the same problem or if anyone has any advice to hopefully snag a job.

abdul-ohab
Ace Contributor
Abdul O Member Since: Sep 1, 2015
2 of 5

The Data Entry niche is saturated. And Most of them offer way too low rate than yours.

charlotte-creech
3 of 5

Figured that one out myself, thanks. The thing is, if I lower my rate that much it won't even pay for the internet used to send the job back to the client let alone anything else. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 5

@Charlotte C wrote:

Hey everyone! I apologize for this being one of the many "new to upwork" posts on the discussion boards, but I am hoping to get some advice. I have been checking Upwork every day for about a month and applying for jobs to no avail. I have read that in the beginning, it's better to limit yourself to one niche, so I have picked typing/data entry jobs since I have a very fast typing speed. I feel like it's very difficult to stand out in a crowd when you are limiting yourself to something like that. There is not a lot of variety in typists, you know? I have played around with my profile, at first I had a detailed one listing specifics but now I have a more general one. I have taken tests, made sure that there are no errors in my overview and I also send customized cover letters to each job. I am just wondering if there are any other typists out there having the same problem or if anyone has any advice to hopefully snag a job.

I think you are vastly underestimating yourself! Typing for you should be a plus not a main skill. Data entry is saturated and teeming with scam sharks. I would suggest at least setting yourself up as a top VA and find a niche perhaps  in Middle East businesses, psychology, or criminal justice.

Before rewriting your profile - far too wishy-washy for what you can offer - trawl the the net a bit and look at a few business websites in your proven categories to give you a few ideas.

Edited to ask: Were you studying and working at the same time?

charlotte-creech
5 of 5

Thanks for the helpful tip 🙂 

Yes, throughout college I always had one job, if not two. Now I am abroad studying Arabic.