🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: URGENT: I need assistance
Page options
ali-hassan23
Community Member

URGENT: I need assistance

My client has asked me to record a video explaining all the steps of photo editing and send him back, I want to know is it legal or illegal?

6 REPLIES 6
m_terrazas
Community Member

Ali H wrote:

My client has asked me to record a video explaining all the steps of photo editing and send him back, I want to know is it legal or illegal?

Do you have a contract or are you in the interview phase?

The client has messaged me.

Ali H wrote:

Ali H wrote:

So you're just in the interview, right?
You have to find a way to tell him that it is information that you will not share with him, if you do not want to.
As Goran told you, it is not against TOS, but the customer can take the video and learn how the work is done or give it to someone cheaper to learn.
It is your decision to do it or not.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ali,

Yes this is allowed and it is not in violation of our TOS. However, I would like to clarify that In order to be eligible for our  Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on an official contract and fulfill the criteria required. To learn more about getting started on Upwork and how to protect yourself, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
m_terrazas
Community Member

Anyway, I wouldn't do it either in the interview or in the contract.
Some client ever asked me about my methodology, the way I solve some problems, some trick, etc ...
Sorry but no. These are years of study and experience that I am not going to share.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My client has asked me to record a video explaining all the steps of photo editing and send him back, I want to know is it legal or illegal?"

There is nothing at all illegal about this. It is legal.

It does not matter if it is "legal". It matters whether or not it is "allowed" under Upwork rules (TOS).

It IS allowed.

You are CERTAINLY allowed to create a video explaining steps.

The important thing to understand:

Clients are NOT ALLOWED TO ASK FREELANCERS TO WORK FOR FREE.

So if the client is asking you to do this work for for free, the client is violating Upwork TOS.

Even MORE important:

Ali DOES NOT WORK FOR FREE.

You are here to earn money. So you are not going to do this work until the client creates an official Upwork contract to pay you for your work.

I strongly advise you to not do any work creating this video until you have an official Upwork contract in place to pay for it. I think you should ONLY accept an hourly contract to do this.

At this point, the client is just wasting your time if he asks any more questions. You need to tell him that yes, you will do what he asks, and he can send you a hire offer for an hourly contract now, so that you can continue to help him.

The interview is over. No help. No video. No discussion. Nothing until he hires you. If he is a real client he will hire you immediately. If he does not, it mean he is trying to get free work from you and has no intention of ever paying you anywhere.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths