🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » US Freelancers only - Do I need a registratio...
Page options
dkhad
Community Member

US Freelancers only - Do I need a registration to work as Upwork freelancer?

Hi All,

I'm moving to USA and I will have a working permit there. Do I need to open a company or anything else to work as a Freelancer? I also plan to have a full-time job.

I'm asking because in Belarus to work as a freelancer you need to have a self-employed number and be registered in Tax and other governmental authorities as self-employed person.

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joywriter
Community Member

Hi Darya,

No you do not need to open up a company to work in the US as freelancer but it's an option. You can pay your taxes individually, through Upwork Payroll or using a company.

Upwork has its own Upwork Payroll system which allows clients to hire US freelancers  and Upwork deals with taxes and other fees,  but that's a different opporutnity a client can offer you.

But if you want to learn about the benefits of opening your own company, read this:

What Every U.S. Freelancer Should Do Before Starting Your Next Project

Hope it helps!

Best,

Hugo

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
joywriter
Community Member

Hi Darya,

No you do not need to open up a company to work in the US as freelancer but it's an option. You can pay your taxes individually, through Upwork Payroll or using a company.

Upwork has its own Upwork Payroll system which allows clients to hire US freelancers  and Upwork deals with taxes and other fees,  but that's a different opporutnity a client can offer you.

But if you want to learn about the benefits of opening your own company, read this:

What Every U.S. Freelancer Should Do Before Starting Your Next Project

Hope it helps!

Best,

Hugo

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths