🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » US citizen living in another country.
Page options
emobe
Community Member

US citizen living in another country.

Im stumped at my account creation. I filed my country as US since i will need a tax form, however I am not currently in the US as I'm in Dominican Republic. Im stuck on the profile creation page, since it won't let me change country from US to Dominican Republic and Upwork staff isnt able to verify my location. But still, even if my country was changed how will I receive my tax form from Upwork?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Eduardo:

You are supposed to set your location to where you live right now.

It has nothing to do with where you were born or what country you are a citizen of.

If you have trouble changing your country, you will need to contact Upwork Customer Support.

Upwork also asks that you obey all laws governing work and work status in the place where you live. But Upwork is NOT the source of information regarding your work status. You would need to consult local experts and authorities if you have a question about that.

I understand that. However I need access to a W-9 form and I've read on other posts that Upwork will only provide that to people that have US listed as their country. Also, Upwork staff has not been able to change my country of residence.

jmlaidlaw
Community Member

Eduardo --

If you are self-employed, you should not necessarily need a W-9. Typically, freelancers are self-employed and (generally) file as such. For example, a person WHO LIVES IN THE U.S. and files U.S. taxes might file a Schedule C.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eduardo, 

I checked your account and can see that the team is assisting you through an email support ticket. If you need further assistance, you may follow up on the same ticket thread so that the team can respond to your additional query. 

As Preston has noted, it is advisable to talk to a local tax advisor how you will file your taxes as a U.S. citizen living outside of the U.S.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths