🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Unable to get hired
Page options
iolio90
Community Member

Unable to get hired

Hello all, I have been a member for about a month, have made 20 proporsals, i am super experienced and yet did not get any reply, not even rejection. My bidding was close to the average price so noone can say i was expensive. I know the competition is high but still, i believe there should be some sort of test for the ones claiming they can do what they claim. I am starting to lose hope, will bid until my connects end and that's it for me.

6 REPLIES 6
pudingstudio
Community Member

Leo I wrote:

Hello all, I have been a member for about a month, have made 20 proporsals, i am super experienced and yet did not get any reply, not even rejection. My bidding was close to the average price so noone can say i was expensive. I know the competition is high but still, i believe there should be some sort of test for the ones claiming they can do what they claim. I am starting to lose hope, will bid until my connects end and that's it for me.

It's good to have a threshold. Helps you step upwards.

For UpWork, you might re-think the height of it. Takes sooo much to get that first job, much to gain multiple jobs and sooo much more to start "earning".

It's kinda like a real job.

Upwork used to have tests, but some unscrupulous freelancers published the answers online, then lots of other unscrupulous freelancers cheated. The results therefore became pretty meaningless, so Upwork got rid of them (the tests, not the freelancers - unfortunately). That happened only a few months ago, so I doubt that the tests will be back any time soon.

Same with me, I am tired of making proposals, but they even don't have time to say sorry we have hired someone.

hajra s wrote:
Same with me, I am tired of making proposals, but they even don't have time to say sorry we have hired someone.

You shouldn't be.

You are supposed to send proposals, even after you formulate your own pool of clients.

It's part of your job.

Doing the thing you are best at is most important, though maintaining your business (sending proposals, finding new clients) is a big part of your journey.

@hajrasyed wrote:

If you're selling yourself as a writer, your overview should be well-written and error free, which it isn't. Clients will question your skills as a writer when they see those errors. I would suggest you rewrite your overview and use spell check.

Clients (usually) receive tons of bids - they do not have time to answer/respond to each and everyone on of them, nor are they required to. Some clients will send a note thanking you for your bid, but that's a rare occurrence.

Freelancing is not for everyone ... it takes patience and perseverance.

c60b29c9
Community Member

If you don’t have experience that is directly relevant to the position you’re applying for, you’re likely either being screened out before the hiring manager ever even takes a look or you’re being put straight on the “reject” pile as your background lacks the specific things the hiring manager is looking for Krogerfeedback

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths