🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Unable to remove payment method. Remove optio...
Page options
14ad6884
Community Member

Unable to remove payment method. Remove option is disabled.

Hi,

I made a contract with a freelancer. But I didnt know that escrow had the abiility to take out money from my account without any security code whatsoever. So I thought that I should remove the payment method right now, and again add the payment method whenever the next milestone is to be paid.

However, after the freelancer accepted the contract, now the remove payment method option is disabled. Why is that?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dhruv, you need to have at least one Billing Method on file at all times, as explained here, so you won't be able to remove it. Once you complete your contract you can reach out to us again here and we can assist you to remove it.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AndreaG

Hi Dhruv,

You can remove all of your Billing Methods except your primary choice. As a client, you always need to have a verified Billing Method on file. If you'd like to delete this one, you can add a new Billing Method and change it to your primary choice. You can then remove your secondary method.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
14ad6884
Community Member

Ok. Although before the freelancer accepted the contract, I was able to remove my payment method. Its only after the acceptance, that Im unable to remove.

After the project is done with the freelancer, and I have no pending contracts, will I be able to remove the method? I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea that escrow has unlimited access to my bank account, without any confirmation code etc.

Dhruv, you need to have at least one Billing Method on file at all times, as explained here, so you won't be able to remove it. Once you complete your contract you can reach out to us again here and we can assist you to remove it.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
jyotidev
Community Member

I am a freelancer , my membership plan is free , but still i am unable to remove my primary billing method, i want to remove my primarg billing method, please help

Hi Jyoti, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to let you know that to change, edit, or remove a billing method, go to Settings > Billing Methods. Only an alternative billing method may be removed. To remove a primary billing method, add an alternative billing method, then set it as your primary billing method first.

You can find more information in this help article. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
94e0ab14
Community Member

we should be able to remove payment methods without adding additional cards if we need to, I understand upworks need for a payment method but I feel like this violates users privacy and security.

3a7df261
Community Member

Hi,

I am not able to edit or add the new billing method. I want add another paypal account.

Hi Samira,

Could you please share more details about the error you're encountering when trying to add a new billing method? A screenshot, for example, would help us check and assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths