🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Understanding taxes
Page options
mircofragomena
Community Member

Understanding taxes

Hello,

I've quite some doubts about taxes which I'd like to clarify.

I live on the road, but on Upwork I have my tax informations set with my Australian tax number.
Australian taxes are (I think) about 29%, and I pay 20% to Upwork - who pays the remaining 9%?

Secondly, when and how do I declare my taxes to Australia? Can I do it once a year uploading all my invoices on my Australian tax declaration tool provided online by the government?

Thanks a lot community 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

@Mirco F wrote:

I live on the road, but on Upwork I have my tax informations set with my Australian tax number.
Australian taxes are (I think) about 29%, and I pay 20% to Upwork - who pays the remaining 9%?

The 20% fee is NOT tax. The 20% - 10% and 5% fees are the fees you pay to Upwork, it has nothing to do with tax at all.

As to how you have to declare your income for tax purposes, you have to ask a local accountant who understands freelancing.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mirco,

Please consult a local tax adviser regarding fees that might be due on your earnings on Upwork and note that the ABN number you provided on the Tax Info page on your Upwork account is related to assessing GST on fees for services Upwork provides to you, including the service fee, paid membership fee and the fee for purchasing extra Connects. Please refer to this Help article for more information.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths