cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment question

jtomalley
Julie O Member Since: Aug 28, 2020
11 of 14

I was just hoping someone else here had been through this process and knew the ropes. My state's unemployment website isn't very helpful on this matter and calling them is brain damage because you spend hours being shuffled from one department to another and sitting on hold.

I'm diligently trying to find full time work that I can do from home, but before COVID I worked for 32 years in the film and TV industry. We will most likely be the last industry to recover from the pandemic. I'm high risk because I'm a cancer survivor and the treatments did permanent damage that would leave me very vulnerable to the virus. I literally haven't left my house since March. Cases and hospitalizations are still quite active in my area.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
12 of 14

Julie, I totally get your frustration.  If it were me, I would put the client's name and Upwork's address. If push came to shove, the state could presumably get in touch with the client through Upwork.  This is not advice, just what I would do if I were in that situation.

06c0025f
Chad D Member Since: Jul 31, 2020
13 of 14

I was looking for the same answers and stumbled upon this video from the EDD. Start watching around 8:33. It seems like we can put in our own name and address for self employment work and then put in NET pay rather than gross pay for this. I believe the service fee from upwork counts as a "cost". If a client on Upwork is paying over a certain amount and will be sending you a 1099 then I would probably enter them separately and ask for their full name and address.   

0540a847
Shanell H Member Since: Jan 25, 2021
14 of 14

Thank you Chad! I was on here looking for the same answers Julie was looking for. I just finished a chat with Upwork customer service and they weren't sure what I should do. This definietley helps! Julie, I hope you were able to figure out what was best for you!