🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Uninterested Clients
Page options
adham-kharoub
Community Member

Uninterested Clients

Hi. I'm fairly new to upwork so I have a question for more experienced members.

I noticed that many jobs go unhired. The client post a job, +50 proposals, and 0 hires. I want to know why does someone post a job when he doesn't want to hire anyone? That wastes connects and counts as a submitted proposal, and for a newbie, many unsuccessful proposals isn't a good thing and could potentially cause suspension. I thought that sometimes you could post a job but no one of the applicants really fits it, but I find some jobs that say "Urgent" and it's an extremely easy job, and after 3 days, +50 proposals, 0 hires. Then what to do? How to avoid this problem?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Adham K wrote:

I noticed that many jobs go unhired. The client post a job, +50 proposals, and 0 hires. I want to know why does someone post a job when he doesn't want to hire anyone? That wastes connects and counts as a submitted proposal, and for a newbie, many unsuccessful proposals isn't a good thing and could potentially cause suspension. I thought that sometimes you could post a job but no one of the applicants really fits it, but I find some jobs that say "Urgent" and it's an extremely easy job, and after 3 days, +50 proposals, 0 hires. Then what to do? How to avoid this problem?

Clients may hire from a different platform, or their project never happens, or they do hire, but via direct contract offer, or they give the gig to a freelancer they already have a contract with.

At the end of the day Upwork can't force clients to hire, let alone to hire you.

You can see a client's hire rate (percentage of hires / jobs posted) that is stated on the job posts.

hire rate.jpg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

@Adham K wrote:

Clients may hire from a different platform, or their project never happens, or they do hire, but via direct contract offer, or they give the gig to a freelancer they already have a contract with.

At the end of the day Upwork can't force clients to hire, let alone to hire you.

You can see a client's hire rate (percentage of hires / jobs posted) that is stated on the job posts.

hire rate.jpg

Oh, I missed that they may have used other platforms in parallel to Upwork too. That makes sense now. Thanks.

@Adham K wrote:

Oh, I missed that they may have used other platforms in parallel to Upwork too. That makes sense now. Thanks.

I think you could also do a lot to improve your profile. At the moment it makes you look like someone who dabbles in too many things, without being an expert in any of them. It's a common newbie mistake.

Concentrate on your main area of expertise and make your profile about that and that alone.

Get rid of "translator" because you are not a translator. You merely speak two languages. Data Entry is THE most over-subscribed category on Upwork.

Well, I really appreciate your help. It has been hard for me to land any jobs after landing my first one not so long after joining Upwork, so right now I could use any help. Thanks again.

Hi Adham,

Petra has shared some really good advice. You may also want to consider checking out these helpful blog articles for writing winning proposals, improve your profile and tips on how to be successful on Upwork.

~ Joanne
Upwork

re: " I think you could also do a lot to improve your profile. At the moment it makes you look like someone who dabbles in too many things, without being an expert in any of them."

When I post jobs as a client, the first thing I look for when I look at freelancer applications is this:

I look at their skills list and at what services they are offering.

If the list is long and disparate, then I move on. I'm not interested.

If I want to hire a writer, I hire a writer. Not a writer/artist/web developer.

If I want to hire an illustrator, I hire an illustrator. Not an illustrator/translator/social media advisor.

Etc.

That's some good point too.
Thanks sir, I really appreciate this.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths