🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Account Verification
Page options
bhar5027
Community Member

United States Location Verification - Unable to do

Getting this error:

Unfortunately, you cannot submit a proposal for this job post because it requires location verification. Based on your previous attempts, you are currently not eligible to verify your location. Please contact customer support.

I had uploaded the driver's id once but it said verification failed. 

I need help on this. 

Please help me resolve the issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. If you've encountered any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by selecting the "Get Support" button on this page and they’ll be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,266 REPLIES 5,266

I'm trying to upload my driver's license to verify my location. I followed the instructions exactly--photo of my ID on a flat surface with borders around it, completely visible, no flash--but when I try to upload, it says it's an unsupported type of ID. It's a standard state driver's license, so I don't see how it could be unsupported, so I thought maybe it was an issue with the angle or visibility, so I kept trying again. I've taken five pictures and tried to upload them all, and keep getting the same message. I don't have another photo ID, and this is, like I said, a standard state driver's license, so I don't see why it wouldn't be supported, so what am I supposed to do?

Also, on this form, under location it keeps automatically changing to Freelancers while it autosaves, even though that's not the location I keep selecting to post in, so if this ends up in the Freelancers community, it's not my fault.

Hi Rhonda,

Please go ahead and click on a job that you would like to send a proposal to that is U.S only. At the top of the page you should see a notification asking you to contact customer support with a green link. If you go ahead and click the link, it should allow you to create a ticket directly to customer support so that they can help you resolve your verification issue.

~Nina

Avery,

I am having the same issue and am unable to reach out anywhere except as a reply to this thread.

April

Hi April, 

Please click on a job post that has a U.S. location requirement, and click on the link to connect with the Customer Support Team. 

Contact CS.png

~ Avery
Upwork

My account was placed on hold after uploading my driver's license... How do I unlock my account? I used my actual driver's license.

Hi Zach, 

You may contact our Customer Support Team directly by clicking on a the "contact Customer Support" link on any job post with a U.S. location requirement. The link should be displayed on top of the job post. 

Contact CS.png

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you so much! That helped.

My state-issued ID is a learners permit, and as such, I cannot use it to verify myself. It's the only legal photo ID I have. Is there any way to manually do this?

cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Avery,

Unfortunately, the only allowed documents to verify your location are State ID, Driver's license, US passport or a green card. You can still submit proposals to those jobs without US location requirement. Thank you!

Untitled

During the location verification process, I uploaded my driver's license and it said that the verification had failed. Can someone please help me with this?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jordan, 

You may directly contact our Customer Support Team by clicking on a job post with a U.S.-location requirement. The link to contact the Customer Support Team is on top of the job post. You should be able to contact the team from there. 

Contact CS.png

~ Avery
Upwork
lhenriqu
Community Member

I keep trying to verify my Id and every single time I get denied. I am unsure of what to do.

Hey guys!

My Pennsylvania driver's license has my first, middle, and last name.  When I try to upload my ID, it keeps saying either the name is wrong or it cannot be verified.  I have taken very clear photos.  I also changed my address to my PA home address (I have since moved to Florida but either way...still 100& located in the US).  Can I get some help please?

Hi Liza, and Vincent, 

You may directly contact Customer Support by clicking on the "contact Customer Support link" on the top of a job post with a U.S. location requirement. You may refer to the screen grab below as reference. 

Contact CS.png

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello, I have scanned my driver's license and uploaded the image in the location verification section and it was denied. Subsequently, I received an email saying that a hold has been placed on my account. Is it possible to know if I made any mistake in the process? My license has more than two years of validity left before expiration. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mir,

Please select a job which includes a US location requirement > use the "contact customer support" link at the top of the preview page and you'll be able to submit a support ticket and receive assistance from our team regarding your verification process. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I am in the US on a work visa, of which I have a copy.  Unfortunately, I'm on a temporary Drivers License - the kind that doesn't contain a picture.  Is there any way to still get verified for US-only jobs?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nathan, 

Please know that a temporary driver's license will not be accepted as a valid ID when verifying your location. The following ID's are the only acceptable documents for location verification - Driver’s License, State ID card, United States Passport, Green Card. Please consult with your local advisor if you are allowed to work on Upwork just with documents you have. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
nitsanc
Community Member

How would I reach the local advisor? There's no reason why I wouldn't be eligible to work in the US>

I tried to upload my ID to verify my location and got an email saying it was unable to be authenticated and a hold has been placed on my account. I guess it must have been a bad photo, but the email doesn't give any details about why it wasn't accepted.  I can't find a place to contact customer service, and the site gives no information about what to do in this situation, so I have no idea how to fix this.  

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi TJ,

Please click on a job that you would like to send a proposal to that is U.S only. At the top of the page you should see a notification asking you to contact customer support with a green link. If you go ahead and click the link, it should allow you to create a ticket directly to customer support so that they can help you resolve your verification issue.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I am trying to upload verification of my account by uploading a photo of my ID. My name is Kathryn Burgess, exactly what it says on my account. However, it keeps saying my name is different than what it is on my account. I've tried taking several different pictures, yet nothing is working. 

Hi Kathryn,

Please go ahead and click on a job that you would like to send a proposal to that is U.S only. At the top of the page you should see a notification asking you to contact customer support with a green link. If you go ahead and click the link, it should allow you to create a ticket directly to customer support so that they can help you resolve your verification issue.

~Nina

I am trying to upload my Drivers licence so that I can start applying to jobs. I have taken several photos in good lighting, with all edges showing, with good quality. Every single one has been regected. The error says it doesn't recognize the ID. How do I fix this?

Hi Clara,

Please click on any job that is U.S only. At the top of the page you should see a notification asking you to contact customer support with a green link. If you go ahead and click the link, it should allow you to create a ticket directly to customer support so that they can help you resolve this verification issue. Thanks!

~Nina

I took a picture of my driver's licence and uploaded it as directed (saved it as a JPEG, checked the quality, etc.), but I kept getting a message saying that it was not an accepted ID. Then I got a message that said I had reached my maxium number of atempts to upload my ID, and I was locked out. I opened a ticket through Upwork support, but I see many others have had this issue as well, and I'm still waiting to hear back from Upwork after three hours. Does anyone know if this an issue that can be resolved quickly so I can resume submitting proposals? Thanks!

Hi Lyndsay,

Upon checking, I see that our support team has already replied to you on your open ticket and that you are in communication with them. We'll follow up with them about your most recent addition to the ticket.

~Nina

Having similar issues,

Tried uploading proof of ID per the guidelines using all different specified formats however now I've reached the maximum number of tries (3). Started a help ticket and it was marked as solved eithout anyone getting in contact with me. Basically now my proficle is in limbo pending a response I'm not hopeful to get. Should I just start over?

Hi Tom,

Our support team received your ticket and will assist you with your location verification shortly.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
alex_1
Community Member

My name is Aleksandr Vaysberg, my email is **edited for Community Guidelines**

I can't start my id verification. When I click on this link https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001176427 it says that I'm not authorized to see this page.

Thank you.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aleksandr, 

Please click on a a job post with a U.S. location requirement, and you should see the link to directly contact our Customer Support Team from there. 

Contact CS.png

~ Avery
Upwork

I got locked out of account because my Drivers license photo was rotated 90 degrees. Can i please have my account unlocked and how can i go about making sure my ID is verfied so I can get speical United States Jobs.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

What could possibly motivate you to post your ID in a public forum for every member of the community to download and potentially use in nefarious ways?

Hi Tyler,

~Nina
kaej77
Community Member

For some reason my driver's license could not be verified, if an UpWork Customer Service representative could contact me that would be fantastic.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kaelyn,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please select a job that includes the US location requirement > check the notification at the top of the page and select the "contact customer support" link in the message, which will allow you to directly contact Customer Support regarding your verifying process. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
kaej77
Community Member

I will do this, thank you!

Uploaded a brand new Rhode Island license to the website in order to get verified only to have it glitched out and denied repeatedly. Would like to get manually accepted but this platform doesn't have chat support for some reason? Hopefully someone can get back to me quickly in this thread. Thank you in advance.

Hello Dariy,

Have you tried sending us a ticket by clicking the Contact Customer Support link in the error message displayed when you are trying to send a proposal to US only job? If you are still having some trouble sending us a ticket, please let us know. Thank you!

Untitled

As above, the help function just keeps redirecting me here and there doesn't appear to be any other form of communication with upwork. My ID is not expired but it keeps telling me "looks like it's expired".

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths