🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I've reached the maximum number of tries ...
Page options
bhar5027
Community Member

United States Location Verification - Unable to do

Getting this error:

Unfortunately, you cannot submit a proposal for this job post because it requires location verification. Based on your previous attempts, you are currently not eligible to verify your location. Please contact customer support.

I had uploaded the driver's id once but it said verification failed. 

I need help on this. 

Please help me resolve the issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. If you've encountered any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by selecting the "Get Support" button on this page and they’ll be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,266 REPLIES 5,266

I tried to verify my identity by uploading my driver's license. It then told me it could not complete verification and my account is onhold. I just signed up to Upwork and I am not able to work yet. I tried to follow the instructions to submit a ticket and hit a button that says "more help" but I never saw the button. I need help to take my account off of hold and get started. Thank you so much.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Marilin, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will get in touch with you to assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

It will not let me verify my ID even though I followed all of the directions and added a clear photo of my drivers license and all accurate information. it is asking me to contact support. How do I contact support? This is so frustrating! 

Hi Darina, 

I'll go ahead and share your account information with the team so that they can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello! I received an error message regarding my ID that says, "It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID." except I uploaded my state issues driver's license. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks!

Kayla

Hi Kayla,

I checked your ticket and I can see that our team is communicating with you and answering all of your questions. Please check that ticket which details what steps you should take to lift the hold on your account. If you have any additional questions please post them on your ticket and our team will assist you. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello!

My account was recently put on hold because my identity could not be verified after uploading my license. It's a valid state license. Will my account be on hold forever due to this? Usually in cases like this, the identity is identified another way. I'm extremely upset, this is frustrating.

Hi Kaylah, 

I've shared your account information with the Customer Support Team and they will reach out to you with more information on how you can resolve this issue. 

~ Avery
Upwork
5743a032
Community Member

Im having the same problem. Upwork won't except my ID

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brendan, 

It looks like you were able to reach out to our Customer Support Team. If you need further assistance with anything, let us know!

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi All. 

I'm a freelance illustrator and designer with an O1-B visa. Meaning I work freelance for clients in the US while on US soil. I have no any of the required location verification documents such as a passport or state ID. Can I get verified via a different process somehow? Appreciating any advice. 

Hi Lisette,

Thanks for reaching out. We'll sent you a support ticket and assist you directly with your account verification.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi,
I've tried submitting two different forms of ID for U.S. citizenship, and I keep getting automatically rejected even though my images adhere to all the requirements listed. Can I get some assistance with this?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Caleb, 

I've shared your issue with the team and they will get back to you through an email to assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork

I have uploaded my ID several times to verify, though each time I get the "Upwork is having trouble veriying your ID" message.

I followed all the guidelines (all corners visible, on background, jpg format, color etc. It is completely unaltered (not cropped, rotted or colors enhanced). It is an actual real driver's license.

Now I got the message that "I have reached the maximum attempts to verify my ID". It's an Indiana driver's license for goodness sake. 

What do I do? It won't let me contact clients for proposals without the verification.

Hi Jennifer,

Our team has already reset the verification link. Can you please try to submit your ID again? Please make sure to submit a clear image of your ID and avoid using your flash. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Lisa,

I checked and it looks like you already submitted a ticket to customer support regarding this concern and one of the customer support agents have already responded to the ticket to provide assistance directly. Please check the instructions provided and if you have any questions or clarifications, feel free to respond to the ticket so that the agent can help you further. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi, I've been on Upwork a while, but haven't nailed down a job yet. Recently I've been trying to upload my DL, but it's not taking.

I'm on disability and don't drive anymore, so it's expired, but it's still me.Smiley Very Happy

I've clicked on the customer support link, but nothing happens.

What should I do?

Dawn:

I don't know the precise reason that your driver's license isn't being accepted right now. Maybe you tried to upload a photo of it instead of scanning it.

But maybe the fact that it is expired really is the problem.

You are not required to have a driver's license to verify your identity. You can get a state-issued identity card or you can use a passpord.

You will want to get a valid ID card (which isn't expired) anyway. Upwork is certainly not the only place that asks to see valid ID.

Hi, Preston

Thank you for responding.

I understand your points, but I don't leave my house, so I can't go out to get a state ID.

Dawn

Dawn,

At the moment only valid U.S. driver's license, State ID or U.S. passport can be accepted for location verification. It can't be done with an ID that's expired, unfortunately. We'll have an agent reach out to you directly with more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

my id will not upload no matter what I try. it is not expired. what should I do?

Hello Claire,

I would like to confirm if you are still having issues in uploading your ID? I just checked your account and I can see that you have already submitted your Driving License and was successfully verified. 

Thank you.

Untitled
bberwald
Community Member

I too am having issues uploading my ID. It's not expired and a valid license. It's also a very clear .png file that I scanned. And now I've "reached the maximum allowable tries". What do I do?

Hi Bronson,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket and assist you further with your verification, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
ljsm
Community Member

I’m having the exact same issue. Maximum attempts to upload error. Can you please assist and enable my account to upload an ID?
petra_r
Community Member

@Mi C wrote:
I’m having the exact same issue. Maximum attempts to upload error. Can you please assist and enable my account to upload an ID?

You may have trouble verifying that you are the person in your profile picture...

Hi Mi,

One of our team members will reach out to you via support ticket to assist you further with your verification, thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello,

I have a trouble with verifying my ID. I am moved to the USA and I don't have yet the type of ID which you require (Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, or Green Card).

As an ID I have an Employment Authorization card so can I use it for Identity Verification?

Hi Khrystyna,

One of our team members will reach out to you via support ticket to assist you further with your verification, thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

So, I recently got on my freelance profile and updated it with my portfolio and description. I have not searched work for over 2 years and getting the message above, when I submittd my Oregon state driver's license with the same address as profile.

It seems like I cannot get this resolved for whatever reason. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Brad

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brad, 

I'll request a member of the Customer Support Team to reach out to you to assist you further with your location verification. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello,

I am an International student from Bosnia and Herzegovina, studying at Community College in the US. I want to know if it is possible for me to verify my location with my F-1 Visa since I don't have any other type of ID to prove that I am physically located in the US. I would really appreciate if I could verify my location somehow so I can start applying for jobs and therefore make some extra money to support my education.

I don't think you can earn money in the US while on a student visa. You should check out the legality aspect first, before worrying about the address/location proof.

Wouldn't I be able to work because it is a freelance work? Also, I am
pretty sure I would be able to get my OPT which would support my work.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aleksandar,

If the person has a legal permit or a type of visa needed to legally work in the U.S., they can register and work on Upwork as a freelancer. To be able to verify your location and submit proposals to those jobs with US location requirement, you will need either of the following - a driver’s license, state ID card, US passport, Green Card. People located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings in order to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to legally advise about it.

~ Bojan
Upwork

my account has the message.  You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID. Please contact customer support. Can i get some help.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Duane,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly and assist you further, thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

yesterday i finally decided to finish signing up and when i went to verify my id it rejected it 3 times is there anyone who can assist me with verifying myself on this site?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kurt,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly and assist you further with your verification process, thank you. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths