🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I'm trying to verify my name but the name...
Page options
bhar5027
Community Member

United States Location Verification - Unable to do

Getting this error:

Unfortunately, you cannot submit a proposal for this job post because it requires location verification. Based on your previous attempts, you are currently not eligible to verify your location. Please contact customer support.

I had uploaded the driver's id once but it said verification failed. 

I need help on this. 

Please help me resolve the issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. If you've encountered any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by selecting the "Get Support" button on this page and they’ll be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,266 REPLIES 5,266

Hi Mattia,

If the person has a legal permit or a type of visa needed to legally work in the U.S., they can register and work on Upwork as a freelancer. To be able to verify your location and submit proposals to those jobs with US location requirement, you will need either of the following - a driver’s license, state ID card, US passport, Green Card. People located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings in order to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to legally advise about it.

~ Bojan
Upwork
kenlewis99
Community Member

I operate under my first and middle name - how do I verify?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Ken.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
lolavitra
Community Member

I am Italian and I have to send mi ID but it only gives me the option to send a USA ID, I don't know what to do to submit my European ID and start working. I also have no experience working online yet, but I have been working my last years as a business manager and now I want to do some business administration task, so how can I get my first online job if I cannot prove any experience? Thank you.

You would have to contact customer support about ID and verification-related issues.

But as for the rest, you should start here: https://www.upwork.com/hiring/education/getting-started-for-freelancers/

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lola, 

You are being requested to complete a US location verification because the address and country you noted on your profile is in the US. 

I will go ahead and forward your account information with the team, and they will get in touch with you with more information.

ETA: Hi Lola, before the team reaches out to you, I wanted to confirm that you should have the proper work documents/visa to work on Upwork if you are in the U.S. You may need to confirm with a local advisor if you can work on Upwork while in the U.S. Let me know how it goes and I'll see if I can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
alice_shepard
Community Member

I have attempted to upload a photo of my driver's liscence to get my identification verified here on upwork, but everytime it says it cannot verify it! The photo i am submitting follows all of Upwork's guidelines. I am not sure what to do.

Hi Alice,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
analytics_qualit
Community Member

I'm trying to upload the documents to verify my account and it says this: "You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID. Please contact customer support". I'm also looking for a phone number to call and ask someone how to fix this but I can't find any. If you could reply with the way I can upload my documents properly and verify my account would be great. 

Hi there,

One of our customer support team members will reach out to you directly via email and assist further with your concern. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
miamilos
Community Member

Hello,
I am currently doing my OPT in the US, which allows me work authorization for a year within my field (film). I am currently trying to freelance through here, but cannot get past the ID Verification, as I do not hold a US passport, ID, drivers liscence or greencard.

I would like to freelance where I am located. How do I get around this? I am, once again, completely authorized to work, and I have legal photo ID, just not from the US.

Thanks!

Hi Mia,

One of our customer support team members will email to assist you directly regarding your concern with completing the location verification process. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
anisa-blanton
Community Member

Hi! I have recently joined and I was told to do an ID verification, I have a photo of my driver's license, but for some reason, it said I didn't have a proper ID or something along those lines. That shouldn't be the case as I just took the photo and pulled the license straight out of my wallet. Anything else I can do?

Hi Anisa,

Thank you for letting us look into this. We have escalated your concern to the appropriate team. One of our representatives will reach out to you shortly. Let us know if you need anything else.

~ Riri
phillips_remanu
Community Member

I am trying to verify my identity with my driver's license. My account name is correct: **Edited for Community Guidelines**The name on my ID reads: **Edited for Community Guidelines**(Last, First Middle). So it's giving me an error saying the name on the ID and on the account don't match. Please someone help me through this step because the error is not on my part it's the fact that it's an enhanced ID or something. 

Hi Remanu,

I've shared your concern with the team and one of the customer support team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket and assist you in uploading your ID. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
sarajmartin
Community Member

I've made several attempts to upload an image of my US passport. I've used the CamScan app as well as my iPhone camera in excellent lighting, and it isn't working. Help, please.

Sarah M wrote:

I've made several attempts to upload an image of my US passport. I've used the CamScan app as well as my iPhone camera in excellent lighting, and it isn't working. Help, please.

Chances are the system can not verify you by comparing the photos with face recognition because of your very unclear (and, with all due respect, entirely unprofessional) profile picture.

I would suggest you try a proper, recognizable, clear profile pitcture in which you don't look like you are eating your hands and your entire face is clearly visible.

Thanks for your subjective input.

I’ll consider updating my photo without resorting to to the unfortunate
feigned-smile-and-grey-background headshot option.

Sarah M wrote:
Thanks for your subjective input.

I’ll consider updating my photo without resorting to to the unfortunate
feigned-smile-and-grey-background headshot option.

Look around, lots of people have more interesting / upbeat ones. I know what you mean but frakly, you want to work here, and in an incredibly competitive category. Don't make life even harder for yourself than it is already by trying to be "different" - that profile pic won't cut it, promise!

Hi Sarah,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
young02
Community Member

Hello I am having trouble using the app because it’s asking for a ID
verification and I’ve submited twice and I have been rejected twice, please
help
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Evan, 

It looks like you are being requested to complete your location verification. The Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you with your verification. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello, I am trying to upload my Driverse License but keep getting an error. I cannot take a better photo. No flash. Everything is in focus. Please help!

Hi Elijah, 

I have shared your account information with the Customer Support Team and they will reach out to you to assist you with your location verification. 

~ Avery
Upwork

thanks avery!

elijahjames
Community Member

Hello, I am trying to upload my Driverse License but keep getting an error. I cannot take a better photo. No flash. Everything is in focus. Please help!

I personally know and have worked with Elijah, would be great if he could get some help with this. Thanks!

casnorman
Community Member

I messed up and didn't realize I was supposed to be in my ID verification photo until I was blocked out. Is there any way to try again?

Contact support (https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us)> bottom of the page > get help

Lila
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cassidy, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you with your locatoin verification. 

~ Avery
Upwork
pedro-rocatti
Community Member

Hello,

How are you doing?

When I register on Upwork, I attached my ID 5 days ago as your request.

But I can't send my proposals yet and I didn't get any result from you.

Please let me know how to solve this problem.

Thank you.

Pedro.

Hi Pedro,

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
hazel_mccray
Community Member

Hi need help also can't open my ticket link. I need someone who can assist me about my video id verification.There is no link that appeared after i aked the contact support bot and even in my email. I hope you can hep me. I really appreciate it thanks!

Hi Hazel,

~ Bojan
Upwork
remington-sloan
Community Member

I locked myself out of opportunities to verify my ID. I did not realize there was a limit and couldn't figure out why it wasn't taking. 

I've submitted a ticket to customer service, but I haven't gotten a response yet, and I'd like to try and get to work quickly. How can I help this process?

Every time I uploaded my ID, it just said that the name on my driver's license did not match the name on my account. 

Thank you for reaching out to us, Remington.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
paigelsullivan
Community Member

I'm trying to verify my name but the name on my ID is not my legal name. I recently got married so my last name changed, I haven't been able to change the name on my ID yet, but it is changed on my social security card. My legal name is on my social security card but not on my Driver's License. I was wondering if there was a way to verify my LEGAL name even though it isn't on my driver's license? On my profile, I have my legal name, but to get verify that that's truly my name, I have to send in a picture of my license. My license has not been updated and will not be updated for a while. Help?

Hi Paige,

Looks like you successfully verified your name. It doesn't look like you are required to complete any additional verification process at the moment. Our team will let you know if there is a need for any verification process in the future.

~ Bojan
Upwork

No, the name on my profile, Paige Ichenberg, is not my legal name. I got married a month ago and changed my name to Paige Sullivan (my legal name). On my social security card, my name is Paige Sullivan- I won’t be able to change the name on Driver License (Paige Ichenberg) any time soon. I sent in a picture of my license so I can start finding work because it wasn’t letting me apply for anything without having my name verified.

I’m a military spouse so I have a military ID. On that ID it says Sullivan, could I take a picture of that ID and verify my legal last name?
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths