🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Canadian living in the US as a resident, and ...
Page options
bhar5027
Community Member

United States Location Verification - Unable to do

Getting this error:

Unfortunately, you cannot submit a proposal for this job post because it requires location verification. Based on your previous attempts, you are currently not eligible to verify your location. Please contact customer support.

I had uploaded the driver's id once but it said verification failed. 

I need help on this. 

Please help me resolve the issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. If you've encountered any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by selecting the "Get Support" button on this page and they’ll be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,266 REPLIES 5,266
m_najafgholi
Community Member

Hello,

I am an international student in the U.S.A. I have social security number. My question is that am I eligible to work as a freelancer in UpWork? If yes, can I fill a tax form too?

Hi Maryam,

If the person has a legal permit or a type of visa needed to legally work in the U.S., they can register and work on Upwork as a freelancer. To be able to verify your location and submit proposals to those jobs with US location requirement, you will need either of the following - a driver’s license, state ID card, US passport, Green Card. People located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings in order to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to legally advise about it.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
79ded227
Community Member

I have the EAD (Employment authorization card) from USCIS and the SSN as well. But the verification page shows no option to verify with EAD at the moment. Is there any way to proceed with the verification process using EAD?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi DONGGI,

In order to verify their location, a freelancer needs to provide a state ID, driver's license, U.S. passport or greencard. Unfortunately, it's not possible to verify location without one of those documents but you can still have access to all the jobs in the marketplace that don't have U.S.-only requirement.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
monicasilvaa
Community Member

I was trying to upload my ID but I got the message “ You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID. To verify your identity so that you can access all jobs, please contact customer support”. How should I proceed to verify my ID?

Hi Monica,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
armanqm
Community Member

Hi, I am looking for some help from a support agent because I have reached the max intents for my verification ID. My ID is not a US ID. So, is from another country and it is not in english. Please

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Armando,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
riprod
Community Member

Need help (Read Subject Line)

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Rene.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
lindaganzini
Community Member

Hello,

I am a Candian citizen living in the USA as a US resident. How can I work with Upwork when I don't have a US drivers license or US ID or passport? I can't seem to bid on any jobs?

Thank you in advance 🙂 

Hi Linda, 

I'll go ahead and share your concern with the Customer Support Team so that you can be assisted further. I would also recommend that you contact a local advisor to make sure that you have the proper work documents to be able to work in the U.S. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you! I really need the work right now and need to know what I can do.

Be safe,

Linda
mohannad99
Community Member

I got this email
"Thank you for attempting to verify your location. Unfortunately, we could not authenticate the ID you uploaded."
How to solve this problem?

Thanks
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mohanned, 

I have shared your concern with the Customer Support Team and they will reach out to you to assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
leobn
Community Member

I recently came back to US and got my work permit and SSN but seems that I am unable to use those for id verification. I can't get a driver's license at moment because DMVs are closed. How can I go forward with the process?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Leonardo, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
a_pasternak
Community Member

Hi , i trying to find help from real person for few days. Can you help me to do this?

Hi Anastasiia,

Could you please share with us your concern so that we can assist you accordingly or have the correct support team assist you?

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

##- Hi, thank you for your answer.
I have a problem with ID verification, i try to do this few times, but still nothing. I saw on your website that you have option to confirm identity by video chat or something. I hope you can help me and i can find gigs soon, because its been hard for freelancers lately. Thank you -##

Hi Anastasiia,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
silaslavy
Community Member

Hi! I am a freelancer from Russia, can not verify my Russian passport as an id. What should I do for that?

Hi Sila,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
nathan_rosas
Community Member

I need a manual name review for my ID verification. My name on here is different from the name of my government ID because I am a transgender individual. The name change process is taking longer due to the pandemic and I need to be able to work in the meantime. 

Hi N R,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
benjamintoth
Community Member

I've uploaded dozens of different photos of my driver's license, being sure to upload clear 300dpi image that fit all the criteria. I started with my phone and when that didn't work I switched to my Fujifilm AX5 and still no luck.

I'm pretty sure at this point it has something to do with the Michigan driver's license. Either way, can I request a manual review?

Hi Benjamin,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Many thanks

be9a4ba0
Community Member

I failed the ID Verification, and my account has been held. How can I free my account?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Annie, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
charliegrz
Community Member

I have tried multiple times to upload my Driver's License for verification, following the exact steps and guidance offered, yet the system keeps rejecting it. I would need human help in this verification process as it appears.

Thanks and kind regards,

Charlie

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Charlie, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
maraia-matt
Community Member

I was prompted to verify my identity while looking for a job and can't for the life of me find a link on where to even submit this. I've looked through pages upon pages from the  "help" section and can't find a place to accomplish this. It should not be this hard, it's pretty absurd. Can someone direct me to a link on where to submit verification for identity? 

Also, according to the prompt I had too many failed attempts but I have never even submitted before, so I'm a bit confused about that. 

Hi Matt, 

~ Avery
Upwork
srass
Community Member

I have my current Identification card expired and i can not renew it online. I don't have an US passport and i have valid H4 EAD to work with in USA. I am not unable to confirm the identification as it is expired and i don't have a DL. Could you please help me in this regards to verify my identification for applying for the jobs.

I can provide my H4 Visa copy, H4 EAD Card and my indian passport, visa and my resident proof here in USA( like PG&E). Please help me out and i need to find a job sooner. Appreciate your help in this regards.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sravanthi,

~ Bojan
Upwork
srass
Community Member

Thanks Bojan for the repsonse. I have uploaded the required documents for verification. Looking forward for speed activation from you guys. Once again, thank you for looking into it.

dkgenius
Community Member

Hello, My name is Dominic Keeton.

I am trying to verify my account with my state-issued ID.

I recently renew my license online and was issued a camera card document(document to take another picture for card) and a valid issue date (04/10/20) and expiration date (02/14/24). My problem is with this pandemic situation, all of the Driver Licensing centers are closed until further notice. I won't be able to get a new driver's license card until then. My license is still valid but i only have the expired card . are there any alternatives to verifying my account? I can take a photo of all the necessary documents I have now. Thank you for your help

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dominic,

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your profile photo needs to be accurate, truthful and verifiable. Please check this help article for more information on how to update your profile photo.

~ Bojan
Upwork
vishiagrawal
Community Member

Hi. I have been trying to get my ID verified but it is getting rejected. My DL expired on March 22 and I have not been able to go to the DMV due to COVID situation. I tried uploading my EAD but it did not accept. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths