🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Cannot verify phone number on site
Page options
bhar5027
Community Member

United States Location Verification - Unable to do

Getting this error:

Unfortunately, you cannot submit a proposal for this job post because it requires location verification. Based on your previous attempts, you are currently not eligible to verify your location. Please contact customer support.

I had uploaded the driver's id once but it said verification failed. 

I need help on this. 

Please help me resolve the issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. If you've encountered any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by selecting the "Get Support" button on this page and they’ll be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,266 REPLIES 5,266
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rafael,

In order to verify their location, a freelancer needs to provide a state ID, driver's license, U.S. passport or greencard. Unfortunately, it's not possible to verify location without one of those documents but you can still have access to all the jobs in the marketplace that don't have U.S.-only requirement.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
lkminday
Community Member

Hello! I am new to upwork, and I was about to submit a proposal for a job I am interested in doing. However, it asked me to verify my ID before I can continue. My ID has my maiden name, and my upwork account, as well as billing info, has my married name. I would like to have my current name on my profile! In addition, my first name is Laura, but I have always gone by Laura Kate since I was born, and I would like to have that as my first name on my profile. I am not sure if any of this is possible, but it is frustrating because I cannot submit a proposal for certain jobs untile my ID is verified.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Laura, 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further regarding your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
b3edb962
Community Member

I tried to upload my Govt. ID, but it was not accepted. And getting this message "You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID.", I would like to get connected to a customer support agent to resolve this issue, so that I can upload my Id. 

Hi Asha,

I've shared your concern with the team, and one of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
nicholasverrico
Community Member

I can't submit proposals until my ID verification is complete, how do I contact support? The web portal gave me the run around.

Hi Nicholas,

One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
sofiagm
Community Member

I have tried to upload my ID for verification on several different occasions with different kinds of ID's. I am getting really frustrated because it won't work. It just says that there's an error. 

Please help.

Hi Sofia,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello, I was trying to upload my digital version of my ID and the system did not want to use it. I then tried the regular ID, but it says "exceeded the number of tries to upload your ID". Please help.

thank you

Hi Tetiana,

I've shared your concern with completing the location verification process with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
1f62d29d
Community Member

Hello Upwork,

I did fulfill all the requirement of ID verification but issue is same.

What to do?

Please help me.

Hi Mic,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
hurlin_sarah
Community Member

My account says that I need to verify my ID, but it says that my driver's license does not match my name that I type in even though they do. Could I have help with this?

Thank you for reaching out to us, Sarah.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
prasanthi1995
Community Member

I don't have any id's you requested. I Have an Indian Passport with Work Authorisation. Please let me know how to upload it and move further

Hi Prasanthi,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
pourya-mazaheri
Community Member

hi dear upwork support

im new in upwork. i was searching for new job and noticed we can send bids to most jobs even those that are located in united states. one of my friends send me a new job to see the description. but when i clicked on the link it says: job post is not available in your location. my question is why this happends? whats the reason of these kind of messages? i wanna know why he can see the post but i cant and apply?

Hi Pourya,

Clients have told us that they sometimes need a freelancer located in the same country. Their projects may require localized knowledge, the possibility of on-site coordination, specific compliance needs or other factors that make working with someone within their country an easier way to get started on Upwork.

Secondly, we’ve heard from freelancers who are upset that they are taking the time (and wasting connects) to submit proposals for jobs they will not be considered for because they do not meet the client’s location requirement.  

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
seanpmoran
Community Member

I'm attempting to complete my profile and keep getting an error on the phone number. It says I failed to verify the number immediately after I click the button. It is the only number I use. How to resolve this?

Hi Sean,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
starnewc6708
Community Member

My ID verification failed. Its my up to date license and a picture that was clear. Why did it fail and why can i not talk to an actual human about it?

Hi Star,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
anjaliambani
Community Member

Hi - I uploaded my ID but I received a message that upwork was unable to verify me. Since then it’s been more than a day, but I haven’t received any email regarding video verification nor am I Getting an option to upload my ID again. Please help. Thanks!

Hi Anjali,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you so much!
rauzzzetdinova
Community Member

Hi , I have a work permit as the only ID government document , but system won’t verify it . Can it be verified manually by your support team ?

Hi Liliia,

If the person has a legal permit or a type of visa needed to legally work in the U.S., they can register and work on Upwork as a freelancer. To be able to verify your location and submit proposals to those jobs with a US location requirement, you will need either of the following - a driver’s license, state ID card, US passport, Green Card. People located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings in order to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing a W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to legally advise about it.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
9036d949
Community Member

I am trying to apply for a job posting and was asked to verify my name and upload a government issued ID. When I uploaded my U.S. passport it returned a message saying that it was unable to verify my ID and that I should check my email for more information. The email said there is now a hold placed on my account and I cannot submit new proposals. This is very time sensitive and I would appreciate anyone's help in solving this.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Courtney,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
usmediapro2
Community Member

I am a US citizen but will move out of the country in some months. Can I keep bidding on US-only jobs?

Hi Michael

The US-only jobs are available only for freelancers who are physically located in the US and can verify it. There are various reasons why a client would want to post a job with that requirement. Their projects may require localized knowledge, the possibility of on-site coordination, specific compliance needs or other factors that make working with someone within their country an easier way to get started on Upwork. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
michael294
Community Member

In trying to accept my first job offer, which I am very very excited about, I was asked to verify my ID. I submitted a picture of my state ID, but it was not validated and I got a message saying my account is on hold and I can't accept any proposals. I am not sure what to do. Please help! Thank you!

Hi Brooke,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
19ff26b1
Community Member

Hello,

I am unable to verify my verification for a freelancer.

Thanks,

MD

**Edited for community guidelines**     

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Jaman.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
qbond29
Community Member

I'm geting this error: You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID.
To verify your identity so that you can access all jobs, please contact customer support.

I'm looking to be able to reupload my ID to get this fixed. Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Quinn,

~ Bojan
Upwork
carolinavega46
Community Member

I currently reside in the USA, where I have an active lease arrangement. However, my passport and citizenship is not from the USA. How can I change that so that I can upload a copy of my passport? What should I do? Please advise

Hi Carolina,

If the person has a legal permit or a type of visa needed to work in the U.S. legally (shifted the wording a bit), they can register and work on Upwork as a freelancer. To be able to verify your location and submit proposals to those jobs with a U.S. (added periods to the U.S. to be consistent) location requirement, you will need either of the following - a driver's license, state I.D. card, U.S. passport, Green Card. Users located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing the W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to advise about it legally.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths